Kourtney
Beginner December 2017

Last Minute Buys- Kinda Venting, Kinda Curious

Kourtney, on November 7, 2017 at 4:24 PM Posted in Planning 0 28
Saved Save

FMIL finally bought her dress today (online from Etsy so I hope it comes in quickly and fits ok!). I've been majorly stressing out about her getting one on time, so this was a huge relief. 39 days until our big day seems like she was cutting it pretty close (my mom was on the opposite end of the spectrum and bought hers 6 months ago lol). I'm a big planner, so this was a major stress point for me over the past couple of weeks. Is anyone else dealing with/dealt with last minute purchases by the bridal party or VIPs, or did you do anything drastic at the last minute? Did it work out ok? Need some laughs at work, so share your stories!

28 Comments

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

We aren't getting married for a little over a year, but 2 of my 5 bridesmaids are *hoping* to lose weight and don't plan to buy their dresses until right before the wedding. I'm also a planner so I know how you feel! It's their money and their dress but it's stressful when people push things to the last minute! Hoping the best for your FMIL dress!

• SSJKarigan
    VIP August 2017
    SSJKarigan ·
    • Flag

Honestly I couldn't care less about what my MIL planned to wear or when she got it...

But she was stressed over it. She kept buying, like, 5 dresses at a time and returning the ones she decided she didn't like. It took her about 8 months to finally pick one. I thought it was funny how hard she was stressing, and she kept asking which one I liked. But again, she's a grown ass woman, I trusted her to dress herself.

• Natalie
    VIP March 2017
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

Not quite the same thing, but I told my bridesmaids to buy any short royal blue dress they wanted and at the last minute, my sister and MOH were unhappy with the dresses they bought and bought alternates. Luckily the alternates came on time and they were happy with them, but if they hadn't, they would have had their original dresses to wear, so I wasn't too worried.

• Kourtney
    Beginner December 2017
    Kourtney ·
    • Flag

@SSJKarigan, that's kind of how I felt too! She kept telling me "I need to get one, I'm running out of time!" I didn't think anything of it originally, but after hearing that 10 times a week, I started to think OMG we are running out of time! I know whatever she picks will be fine, but she kept putting the stress on herself AND me. Gotta love it lol

• Taylor
    Expert October 2017
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

My mom didn't buy her dress until the beginning of September, and one of my bridesmaids didn't get hers until we were exactly a month out. It was a little stressful, but I wasn't frustrated with either one of them. Sometimes circumstances make other things a higher priority that purchasing a dress that will only be worn once.

• Kourtney
    Beginner December 2017
    Kourtney ·
    • Flag

@Taylor, I get that for sure! I'm less frustrated and more nervous, just hoping it fits her ok!

• Kourtney
    Beginner December 2017
    Kourtney ·
    • Flag

@BadgerWife OMG that's hilarious. Did she return the other one or keep it for something else? FMIL has been sending me pics for the last 3 weeks and I've really liked all of them, but then she found a reason not to buy them, so I'm not even 100% sure if she settled on the one she wants to buy today. Some of these stories are cracking me up!

• SLR
    Super November 2016
    SLR ·
    • Flag

I didn't really care about when/how our moms bought their dresses. I know MIL went through several before she chose one but I wasn't concerned. I had a BM who wanted to lose weight before she ordered her dress and I basically just stayed out of that. She lost a ton of weight and felt really good about it, and if she had to buy something from a department store last minute I wouldn't have cared. I vaguely remember MIL trying to convince us last minute that we needed something we didn't. Whatever it was, we survived without it lol

• Kourtney
    Beginner December 2017
    Kourtney ·
    • Flag

@OGAlecia my mom bought several that she called "China bullshit" before she ended up finding one that came in as good of quality as advertised, and that she loved.

@SLR, one of my BMs is doing the same thing, she's planning on losing 10 pounds in the next month, and I'm all about it. Her dress fits fine as is, so a little altering will be just fine. Weddings can definitely be an incentive for weight loss. If only I was dedicated lol

• Kourtney
    Beginner December 2017
    Kourtney ·
    • Flag

@Badger, at least she was prepared in any case! FMIL had me send her pictures of my mom's dress 5 times to make sure they didn't match. I said it didn't matter if they were the exact same, but she was adamant about finding something that compliments it. I really don't care what she wears, but I'm just hoping she can find something she'll feel good in!

• MoominsMama
    Dedicated December 2017
    MoominsMama ·
    • Flag

My wedding is December 1st and 3 of my bridesmaids purchased their dress this past weekend. I am a huge planner but I can't force anyone to do anything. They all had to pay rush order fees since they waited.

• RustyTheDog
    Dedicated December 2017
    RustyTheDog ·
    • Flag

I only have 1 BM out of 3 who has bought a dress so far (and even that dress she ordered so it hasn't come in yet), and I have the same date as you. I told them any black long dress and they have dragged their feet, for reasons unknown to me. I know their mothers well though and they will make them at least show up with black fabric draped over them so it's really their problem and I'm not too worried.

ETA: I told them in FEBRUARY to get a long black dress and have reminded them the past two months that we are getting close, I refuse to do anything more now.

• Kourtney
    Beginner December 2017
    Kourtney ·
    • Flag

@Rusty, that's pretty frustrating, but you're handling it well! We're so close to our date, and I'm also burnt out on giving people reminders lol

• Kourtney
    Beginner December 2017
    Kourtney ·
    • Flag

@Kati OMG that would've freaked me out. Thank goodness he got it handled!

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

It's easy to get caught up in a vicious cycle thinking you are responsible for everything when you are planning a wedding. You're not. Don't spend a moment thinking about or stressing over things that are someone else's responsibility.

• Kourtney
    Beginner December 2017
    Kourtney ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the advice @Muriel! I needed to hear that for sure. FH keeps telling me she loves to do things last minute and "it'll be fine, even if she shows up in a brown paper bag"

Hopefully that doesn't happen, but I definitely need to remember that it'll all work out, and just take care of the things that I need to do myself!

• The Bride
    VIP May 2017
    The Bride ·
    • Flag

I was the last minute person for my sister's wedding, but with good reason. I was supposed to wear red while the others wore black and white. We had my dress picked out, and then I had a major case of gallstones six weeks before the wedding. Because the surgeon couldn't see me until after the wedding, I had a hard time eating and lost 15 pounds. The dress no longer fit (because of the structure of it I could only have it taken it so much) and I had to scramble for an alternative. I found a black dress with a sash in the original red. My sister was a little bugged until she saw the first dress on me -- it was a disaster. She quickly saw that what I managed to put together was much better.

• snowangel
    Super March 2017
    snowangel ·
    • Flag

Ugh my husband was the one making last minute purchases and driving me crazy. He procrastinated on ordering tuxes and really went down to the wire. He also left getting gifts for his parents/groomsmen/ushers to the 11th hour, so it was stressful worrying that everything would arrive and get put together in time.

The only thing I waited a little too long on was ordering personalized hotel welcome bags and a custom hashtag sign from Etsy. Everything arrived in plenty of time and looked great, it was just annoying having to pay extra for rush shipping. I wish I had gotten on top of those little things earlier.

• Kourtney
    Beginner December 2017
    Kourtney ·
    • Flag

OMG @MBG that sounds awful! Hopefully you were feeling ok by her wedding! I had my gallbladder removed earlier this year and it was rough. I can't image gallstones

ETA: Thanks Nikki! I want to enjoy the day to the fullest, so I need to focus on the big stuff, not the details!

• The Bride
    VIP May 2017
    The Bride ·
    • Flag

@Kourtney I was ok. Not 100%, but ok. We had to drive an hour and half from the airport and I was squeezed in the middle of the backseat. My back was killing me (that's where a lot of my pain centered). But it was a great wedding, I saw the surgeon the week after we got home, and now I'm gallbladder free.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics