We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Sheila
Master May 2011

is anyone doing their own cake?

Sheila, on May 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM Posted in Planning 0 13
Saved Save

We are begenning to think it may be a good idea to have a little reception here and the big one in ohio, but we dont have the $ for 2 cakes. has anyone done or be doing their own cake/cupcake? if so how do you go about doing it?

13 Comments

•  c
    Dedicated May 2012
    c ·
    • Flag

Yup! I love baking so I'm up for it...they are going to be tiered cakes, three layers: a white frosted carrot cake for the bride and a chocolate raspberry one for the grooms cake. Plus a sheet cake of each to slice for the extra guests. I've done cakes similar to that before for graduations, birthdays, christmas parties and showers. I'm excited! Smiley smile

If you have a small reception, it would be completely doable. You could do a small cake surrounded with cupcakes if you wanted to.

• Sheila
    Master May 2011
    Sheila ·
    • Flag

Cool! im just worried about it dumping over! the wedding is a 2 hour drive from where my parents live and a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive from where me and fh live. so im worried about it geting wacked up if i do a cake. maybe it wont be so bad if i just do cupcakes?

•  c
    Dedicated May 2012
    c ·
    • Flag

If it is just a little one without tiers, it will be easier to transport. But cupcakes can be super cute and very classy. We were going to do those instead but the FH insisted on having a CAKE cake.

• ~Mrs.G~
    Super June 2010
    ~Mrs.G~ ·
    • Flag

I making all 10 table cakes as we are doing them as our centerpieces.

I'm using boxed cake and making my own frosting. I got the frosting recipe from Wilton. if you check out my IB's you can see my two test cakes. I have done others too...

•  c
    Dedicated May 2012
    c ·
    • Flag

What a great centerpiece idea! Smiley smile And getting boxed cakes helps so much with the mess in the kitchen and stress.

• 5starz
    Master August 2012
    5starz ·
    • Flag

Add sour cream to boxed cake mix it makes all the difference in the world! jmo!!

How will you get the cakes to your venue?

Will you have to make extra cakes just in case of an emergency?

Sorry i guess i want to smack you for even having the extra time to bake cakes a day or two before your wedding!!! LMAO

• kali.n.ryan
    Devoted March 2013
    kali.n.ryan ·
    • Flag

Can you put cake in the fridge for a couple of days and still taste good. The frosting should be put on the day before....right? And do I get my MOH to take it to the site or do I do it? ahhhhh!

• Christina Iafano
    June 2020
    Christina Iafano ·
    • Flag

Kali:

Be very careful if you are planning on putting your cake in the fridge, especially if it isn't iced. The moisture in the fridge will suck out the moisture in your cake and you will be left with a very dry cake.

A cake can be iced several days before it is served. The Wilton icing will last for a long time, no need to worry about it spoiling.

If you can, choose a filling that does not need to be refridgerated. When putting an iced cake in the fridge you have to wrap it really well or it can absorb the flavors of what is in the fridge (onions, left overs...). The cake has to be wrapped really well and then you have a chance of messing up the icing.

• NavyBlueBride
    Expert June 2011
    NavyBlueBride ·
    • Flag

I am making a fake cake out of fondant and styrofoam. You can make it a month in advance and it will be very durable. I don't want to worry about making a cake the week before my wedding. The guests will get costco sheet cake with no decoratioin. We are going to buy a small cake to cut. My cousin did it and her's looked beautiful. I am very excited to make my own but not be stressed about it. I attached a pic of her cake. You can buy the fake cake styrofoam on ebay for cheap and make the fondant really cheap and easy http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

• Amanda
    Expert October 2010
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

I really wanted to do my cake but we are having a large Candy Buffet so I am making tons of tons of candy and wouldn't have time for a Cake as well. I love the Fake Cake it looks great we are doign our bottom Teir as a fake because I wanted 4 teirs but not for another hundred dollars.

• Sheila
    Master May 2011
    Sheila ·
    • Flag

Love the fake cake idea! and got a really crazy thought, how long does the fondant last? could it be something that we could keep? or would the fondant eventually break down? just wondering because all the kinds i have had were almost like a shell. like i said, random thought/idea

• A
    Just Said Yes August 2011
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

@Amanda B.-

You had me at Candy buffet... Smiley laugh Now that sounds awesome. Tell me more what are you going to serve? We were thinking about having a desserts only reception, but that sounds like another cool option.

• Mrs. Jacques
    Master July 2010
    Mrs. Jacques ·
    • Flag

NO-I do not have the time to make my own wedding cake but my Mum is making my cake. She usually doesnt put the cakes together until she gets to the event to make transporting easier. I agree I do not recommend putting the cake in the fridge. This is a picture of my sisters cake from last year, my Mum had it in 2 pieces boxes for the drive, then set it up at the reception.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles