Skip to main content
Jennifer
VIP July 2017

How did you meet your fiance/husband/wife?

Jennifer, on November 3, 2016 at 8:04 AM Posted in Planning 0 154
Saved

The other post about online dating inspired me to ask, and I love hearing stories about how couples met!

We both attend an HBCU- Historically Black College or University. Most of the white students here are locals who attend the school so that they can live at home and save money, but I don't have an HBCU near me, I've just always wanted to attend one since I was a little girl, so I moved 7 hours and into a dorm room to be here. So of course, I am one of the few to have a meal plan and eat in the café. I was eating dinner with a group of my friends one night when he walked by and saw me, he was instantly attracted to me and we had a mutual friend. Later he asked her what my name was, but she played dumb and told him she didn't know, not knowing if I would be interested or not. Later that night I went on a long walk with a couple of friends including the mutual one, took some pics and tagged her in one on Facebook. He saw the tag, added me and asked me out.

154 Comments

Latest activity by Kelsea, on October 1, 2017 at 3:04 AM
  • Jennifer
    VIP July 2016
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

DH and I both work for the same company, him a few years longer than I. My first Halloween here, I asked a coworker if people dressed up. I love wearing my ren faire costume, and I was told that people did. Not one person was dressed up. I was so embarrassed. I wore my costume in such a fashion that my cleavage was covered, but it was still enough that DH noticed. He stopped and talked to me, and that's how it started. :-)

The first pic is how the costume looked on me then, the second is this year....

• R
    Expert November 2016
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

We connected on a dating app called Coffee Meets Bagel. I knew on the first date that I was going to marry him.

• Jennifer
    VIP July 2017
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

@Jennifer, that is really funny and cute! You must have really stood out, haha. Do you two like going to renaissance fairs and stuff together? I've seen weddings at them before, but I'm not sure if they were real or just for fun, haha.

• Holly
    Super February 2017
    Holly ·
    • Flag

FH and I worked together. He was hired while I was on maternity leave to be my temporary replacement. I was married and he was with someone else. Fast forward 3 years, I was divorced and he had just ended his relationship. We were going on a company reward trip to St Thomas... and that's when it all started! He apparently had a crush on me from the beginning. We have been inseparable ever since! We don't work together anymore though, as I switched jobs.

• R
    Dedicated December 2016
    Rachel ·
    • Flag

I went into the local funeral home with my grandfather to make some funeral prearrangements for him and my grandmother. I was 3 months away from graduating funeral director school. We were supposed to meet with FH, but he was out on a funeral so we met with the manager instead. He basically offered me an internship/apprenticeship after school and I told him we'd be in touch because I would love that. The manager was walking us out after the the meeting, and FH was standing there in the office walking to the fax machine. Manger introduced us and FHs jaw pretty much dropped and he could barely speak hahaha. Total googly eyes on me lol. I started working there a few months later, we began seeing each other outside of work with no one knowing. He left that job 6 months later and a month after he asked me out. Eleven months later proposed. And not even 6 months later we're getting married!

We like to say we found love in a hopeless place... lol

• Samtoine2017
    VIP May 2017
    Samtoine2017 ·
    • Flag

We met on OK Cupid (dating website) and it turned out we had several mutual friends already, but we had never met before.

• Jennifer
    VIP July 2016
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I love to go to Ren Faire, he likes that I like it. LOL He's not the type to dress up, not even for Halloween. He's content letting me go do my thing, and he'll come if I really want him to. And yes, I've seen people get married or do a vow renewal at a Ren Faire. Its all real. LOL Just a unique way of bringing something they love into their wedding!.

• Mb2Md
    VIP November 2022
    Mb2Md ·
    • Flag

Plenty of fish ! Lol

• TheUncommonBride
    Expert October 2017
    TheUncommonBride ·
    • Flag

I met DH my freshman year in high school, that was about seven years ago. He was in the foster system and was transferred to our school zone. I used to spend my mornings in the art room working and he would spend his first period study hall in there because it was the only cool teacher in the school lol! It took about a week of him staring at me not saying anything for me to chase him down the hallway and ask for his phone number. We started dating maybe a week later and have been together since.

• OG Dianna
    Master March 2017
    OG Dianna ·
    • Flag

We met at a concert, but it was a lesser-known-electronic-DJ-in-a-dingy-club kind of concert.

• 5starFM
    VIP January 2017
    5starFM ·
    • Flag

A mutual friend introduced us. Supposed to do a blind date, instead she has us meet at an event she was attending. Neither of us knew we were meeting each other that day.

• Flying
    Master May 2017
    Flying ·
    • Flag

My FH is actually my friend's H's little brother. When I met her all she wanted me to do was meet his brother and I kept refusing. Finally she invited me over for a girls' night and when I got there her (then) boyfriend's brother was there. She said that she "forgot" he was going to be there. 5 years later I couldn't be more thankful.

• Mrs. Sasswood
    Master October 2016
    Mrs. Sasswood ·
    • Flag

We met on OKCupid. Our moms live a half mile away from each other for the last 6 years, it's crazy we met by chance when we were living so close by and have some of the same friends/hang out places.

• 250Love
    Super September 2017
    250Love ·
    • Flag

We met at a mutual friends wedding!

• Overkat
    VIP September 2016
    Overkat ·
    • Flag

We met at a climbing gym. I accidentally walked to close to him while he was working a ceiling route, and he fell on me.

• Nikol
    VIP December 2017
    Nikol ·
    • Flag

Met my FH when I was in 8th grade. Dated two of his friends (no longer friends) in high school

and we reconnected after high school, I think I was 22. He found me on myspace lol

• WHO? Mrs. Jones
    VIP December 2016
    WHO? Mrs. Jones ·
    • Flag

FH was a server at a popular dive restaurant in Cincinnati. My dad and I frequented lunch there on Sundays and we were normally the only people ever there at that time, and FH happened to be the only afternoon server when we went. Later, I found out he worked lunches every other Sunday, so we were acquainted that way for about a year. My dad is pretty outgoing and normally did the talking and would give FH $ to put music on the juke box and give him shit if he picked something silly. One day we went in, at this point we'd been going to the restaurant for several months (I'm talking maybe 1-2x/month, so not super often, but we were all familiar with each other) he walked up to our table and squeezed my 10 month old's cheek. I was totally smitten! A hot guy, squeezing my son's cheek? Let's just say, at this point hot guys were pretty much running in the opposite direction when they saw my kid.

Anyways, my dad happened to get his phone # that day to do some landscaping work on the side, (dad owns his own company) and that evening I asked my dad for the #. In pretty typical fashion, he'd lost it already. I reactivated my facebook after 2 year hiatus just to message him. We went out, a couple nights later, and we've been together ever since!

Kind of funny, before I ever even met FH, my parents had dined at the restaurant on a busy night (like I said, this is a popular place in Cincy) and they told him he should meet their daughter (me). So we always joke that my parents hooked us up! haha.

ETA: also kinda weird, our moms were in the same homeroom for four years in high school!

• Natalie
    Master September 2016
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

Pof.com lol

• futurelagrange
    Dedicated October 2017
    futurelagrange ·
    • Flag

A friend had a get together at his house. Our mutual Friend brought him, and we started talking about cats. FH left with our friend, looked at him, and said "I'm going to marry that woman" I went home to my roommate at the time and couldn't stop talking about him.

And here we are. He was right. Smiley smile

• Jeanmarie
    Super December 2017
    Jeanmarie ·
    • Flag

I've got a fiancée/future wife so hopefully I can join in. Smiley winking We met in middle school band. She played flute, I played trombone. In high school we had health/gym class together and became friends and had a "secret notebook" that we'd write to each other. We also had Spanish class together. We didn't become majorly close until we went to the same university 4 hours away from home. We got really close very fast/came out to each other. We didn't start dating for another two years but we've been inseparable ever since!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics