Victoria
Beginner February 2020

Ceremony and Reception at the same hall?

Victoria, on February 28, 2019 at 6:34 PM Posted in Planning 0 40
Saved Save
My fiancee and I want a winter wedding in Delaware, so outside isn't an option unfortunately. We are also on an extremely tight budget, as I am in law school. We would like to avoid getting married in church as we are a lesbian couple and it does not feel right. We found a hall to have our reception in that is very affordable but I cannot think of any other place to have our ceremony that is affordable, AKA cheap. Does anyone have any advice about having it in the same room and how to make it work? Thanks so much!

40 Comments

• Jasmine
    Rockstar August 2020
    Jasmine ·

The reception hall that you would like to have your ceremony might be able to accommodate. You can always see if you can have your reception pre set and have some tables on both sides of the venue. You would walk down the middle as normal. When all is said and done, you can either move tables in closer or leave as is and just party in the middle of all the tables

• Patience
    Devoted October 2019
    Patience ·
    We are actually having ours in the same room and it’s going to be set up so we can walk down a little aisle.. I’m excited about it
  • Michele
    Savvy March 2019
    Michele ·
    We are having are ceremony and reception in the same room. We are going to have he tables set up for the reception during the ceremony. Brides family in one side and grooms family on the other with a space in the middle to walk down the aisle. I plan to have immediate family sitting in chairs only at the front during the ceremony and remove the chairs to their tables afterwards
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    How many guests are you inviting? If your heart isn’t set on a hall have you looked into a local library, museum, indoor botanical garden, zoo or restaurant? Consider a Sunday brunch or evening wedding and it’ll be even less. 😍
  • Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda Online ·
    Doing ceremony and reception in the same space is doable but I would suggest having your cocktail hour in a separate spot so that way while everyone's enjoying that and you're taking pictures the venue or team that you get can set up for reception! (Hope i understood the question/concern correctly)
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Have to agree!! We are getting married on a Sunday and everything is so easy. Booking vendors is a joy. Everyone we want is available. It's like magic. I hope you love the place you marry. I think winter weddings are beautiful, but I'm slightly biased.
  • Victoria
    Beginner February 2020
    Victoria ·
    View Quoted Comment
    About 120. We have looked into those places, but they are all out of our price range. The hall rental for 5 hours is $700. I haven't seen any of the above places for less than $2,000 for the ceremony itself.
  • Victoria
    Beginner February 2020
    Victoria ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I don't really know where to do just that where itll be affordable, especially since the catering I am looking at includes an open bar. I think financially it all has to be done in the single hall, I just dont quite know how to make it work. The room fits 250 comfortably and we should only have about 120. Thank you!
  • Victoria
    Beginner February 2020
    Victoria ·
    Thank you all! Unless I can find something dor just a few hundred dollars, doing it elsewhere isn't an option. There is plenty of space, as it seats 250 and I will only have about 120. I just do not know how to achieve it so it looks OK and works cohesively. It's the hall of a fire company so there is no place for people to go elsewhere if changing the set up.
  • Victoria
    Beginner February 2020
    Victoria ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Will you just be keeping that space for the dance floor or rearranging?
  • Victoria
    Beginner February 2020
    Victoria ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Will you be rearranging after the ceremony?
  • Victoria
    Beginner February 2020
    Victoria ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes we were thinking of that....we didnt know if we should have people sit at their tables or make it like traditional and then move chairs after. I didn't know if that was too much to ask people to do. I'm very new at this!
  • Jasmine
    Rockstar August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Depending on how many guests you have and how big the reception hall is, you can most definitely still have a traditional set up. You could still also have the tables already set up along the outside of where everyone will be seated. In all honesty, at the end of the day, it's whatever works best for you. I'm sure they wouldn't mind too much either way!

• Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    The last wedding we attended was all in one place. Guests were seated at their tables along the aisle. It worked really nicely!
  • Michele
    Savvy March 2019
    Michele ·
    View Quoted Comment
    The space is pretty big so we won’t need to do rearranging too much, I hope. There will already be a section available for dancing towards the front of the room. It’s the space located just before we start to walk down the aisle (during the ceremony). I’m having a day of coordinater and also a family friend who does a lot decorating for events there so they will be helping me with getting it all set up the best way possible. My decorator said she’s done weddings where the ceremony and reception were all in the same room and it went good.
  • VIP September 2019
    ·
    We are having our ceremony and reception in a large conference center. Our guests will be seated at round tables for ceremony and be at same table for dinner. We are having a cocktail hour where guests can mingle and we can greet and interact with our guests. We will have it set up that there is an open area for our walkway (aisle) where we will exchange our vows. This is our venue not but not my personal photos. I think you can have ceremony and reception in same location very convenient and cost effective. Best of luck and congratulations

Ceremony and Reception at the same hall? 1

Ceremony and Reception at the same hall? 2
  • Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda Online ·
    View Quoted Comment
    A venue I looked at did this, half of the space was set up for recpetion and half for ceremony! Then they would move the chairs to the tables from the ceremony and the ceremony spot where the chairs were became the dance floor! Does that work?
  • G
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabby ·
    Our wedding ceremony will be outside during the summer. In case of rain we will have it inside by a fireplace, guests go up the stairs for cocktail hour while the reset for the reception, and reception happens in the same spot downstairs.

• Patience
    Devoted October 2019
    Patience ·
    We aren’t rearranging. The seats they sit at during the ceremony will be the same seats for dinner since most everyone coming is out of state we thought it be easier to have one location... but we are having it set up for the guest to enter through one door and I’ll use the other to one walk in and we will have a little aisle to walk down
  • Talia
    Super October 2020
    Talia ·

Where in Delaware are you getting married? I could've sworn i saw a church that accepted LGBTQ one day

Comment on this discussion