My Own Chef Catering Reviews

23 Reviews for My Own Chef Catering

• Donna

KIMI · Married on 10/05/2019

Excellent caterer

We hired them for our daughter's wedding for October 5th, 2019. The food was wonderful and they did an excellent job with the bride and groom's cakes. I loved the fact that we could get both the meal and the cakes in one place. Plus, not having to worry about finding someone else to cut and serve was a huge help! They did it all! Very professional and always answered our emails and phone calls whenever we had questions. Would highly recommend!

Sent on 11/05/2019

Jamie · Married on 05/25/2019

Best wedding food (and cake) ever!

We booked MOC for our wedding reception, per the recommendation of our wedding planner (Donna at The Party Affair) and could not have been more pleased! Their prices are reasonable and their food is absolutely fantastic. Throughout the entire planning process, they were kind, professional, and very prompt in responding to our phone calls and emails. Vickie, Darrell, and Lance went above and beyond in planning our wedding meal. We had multiple special requests (family style, pasta course for our Italian background, outside alcohol) that they did a wonderful job of accommodating. Our guests were raving about the food, saying it was the best wedding food they had ever eaten. And our cake, which was an Italian cream cake, was to die for. We have had so many people complimenting both the meal and the cake for days after the wedding!

As an extra service, we also booked them to deliver sandwiches, chips, and cookies to our hotel pool the day after our wedding for our family and any lingering guests. This was all fantastic as well!

MOC - We can't thank you enough. You're perfect and wonderful and made our wedding food unforgettable!

Sent on 06/02/2019

kristen · Married on 06/01/2018

We used MOC for our rehearsal dinner and reception food and were so happy with our choice! The german food was delicious and the fajitas were incredible! They were accommodating to our menu changes and happily wanted to do whatever we wanted! All of our guests had great things to say about the food which was really important to us! The only downside is they don’t have a restaurant for you to go eat all their food whenever you want!

Sent on 06/17/2018

Debbie · Married on 11/05/2017

The best catering company ever used. The food is yummy and they accommodate all special requests. We do not use them for weddings...for events.

Michael · Married on 10/24/2017

You guys were great to work with!!!! Thank You and we are looking forward to you serving us again for the 2017 TSCRA Ranch Gathering!

Sent on 01/10/2017

Brittany · Married on 05/20/2017

My Own Chef was phenomenal from the beginning. We looked at several caterers, but MOC was the only caterer that was willing to work with us, and developed a menu that we wanted within our budget. They also provided guidance on what to serve and how much to serve at the cocktail hour and for dinner. Additionally, it was helpful that they were also able to provide a beautiful and delicious cake (which received a ton of compliments from our guests). I also found out after the wedding that some of our guest were not able to eat raw tomatoes (which we had a few dishes that had raw tomatoes). MOC staff took the time during our reception to prepare dishes for guests' special dietary needs on the spot. When I found this out, I was incredibly grateful and so thankful that we selected MOC to carter our reception and to take care of our guests. Thank you, MOC, for going above and beyond!

Sent on 05/30/2017

Mary · Married on 12/31/2016

MOC was very responsible, and the food was much better than I expected for being Croatian - everyone had good comments to make about it. Vicki and Holly were easy to work with, and the entire experience was a pleasure. I thank them!!

Bobbi · Married on 12/13/2016

My Own Chef catering, their food, their staff and owners are amazing. We've used them several times and have never had a problem or complaint. Easy to work with, professional, courteous. Our latest experience was not a wedding, but our staff Christmas party.

Rebekah · Married on 12/08/2016

Very professional. On time and DELICIOUS! Highly recommend you will not regret!

Sent on 01/16/2017

kira · Married on 12/03/2016

Working with My Own Chef was a pleasure! They were very thorough and professional so I wasn't worried about any details on our wedding day and everything turned out great! Our cakes looked particularly wonderful and tasted so much better than others we tried!

Sent on 01/11/2017

Beverly · Married on 11/19/2016

We have used Vickie & My Own Chef for many years. She & her team are the BEST! The 2 wedding cakes were just amazingly beautiful, just what our bride & groom wanted - plus they were delicious. We received numerous compliments on our buffet & several went out of their way to share that our cakes were the best they ever tasted - the best wedding they have ever been to! Her expert staff made sure our guests were well taken care of: appetizers made it around the room, water glasses kept full, dishes cleared off at the right time, coffee served, didn't interfere with toasts - no detail missed. I can't say enough how pleased we were with everything about My Own Chef - they are well respected in the Hill Country & the only caterer we will ever use!

Sent on 01/24/2017

Dhyana · Married on 10/22/2016

Once you taste their food, you know that there is no one better to cater your big day. We absolutely loved the team at My Own Chef. They listened to the kind of wedding and the kind of food that we wanted and they delivered. Our tasting was amazing and full of so many options that the only decision to be made was what to put on the menu and not if we were picking My Own Chef. Our wedding was in Oct 2016 and our friends still talk about the food. Even our photographer who does a wedding a weekend said our meal was one of the most memorable. Our menu was locally sourced and southern comfort food themed and they delivered. When we asked for items that were made right there in Fredericksburg, the only question was what did we want and how many. They never once tried to recommend away from anything. And everything they did suggest was amazing!!! We actually served meatloaf (among other things) and our guests went crazy for it!!!! I still think about the pulled pork phyllo cups, (they are divine and you want them at your party). They also took amazing care of my husband and I the night of the wedding and had plates made up for us so we could actually eat during the dinner.

My only word of caution is be prepared with instructions for their day of staff. We have a minor cake presentation miscommunication. It didn't ruin anything but I would have been happier if I had been clearer about what I wanted. Also give good instructions to the bar staff if they are pouring for you, we had a lot of opened liquor that didn't get drunk. They were trying to be prepared which I appreciate, it just meant we couldn't return some of our extra booze.

Finally, besides all the help with food, Holly is definitely part of the wedding mafia in Fredericksburg. When I needed rooms and couldn't get any she literally gave me some rooms she wasn't using for her own son's wedding. If I need linens, she had a great vendor. She was HELPFUL.

Sent on 05/17/2017

T · Married on 03/12/2016

They were very flexible in working with us on a menu that fit our group and theme. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. The staff that I worked with in the planning the event and those who served at the event were friendly, professional an met our every need. Would highly recommend them.

kathy · Married on 10/04/2014

I would highly recommend My Own Chef for your next event or wedding! The food is absolutely amazing! And Derrell's cakes are out of this world. Vickie is extremely talented and knows what works! Holly is there every step of the way for you!

Sent on 05/22/2017

Annie · Married on 07/26/2014

This is a local vendor in my home town that made quite a positive impact on my wedding. My Own Chef is wonderfully flexible and impressively professional and talented. They worked hard to create a unique and appropriately priced menu for my wedding and make some incredible food. They have been in the catering business for years and been trained internationally which makes their business efficient and their food fantastic! I would highly recommend them to anyone searching for a wonderful catering business for any event!

Sent on 08/12/2014

Megan · Married on 07/26/2014

I can not say enough about Vickie and her staff. They do an outstanding job from beginning to end. The planning, pricing, tasting, and executing on the day of the event were superb. The food was very very good and presented beautifully.The professionalism yet attention to the customers wishes were outstanding. The serving staff did their job in such and efficient yet friendly way. Holly, in the office, made all contacts with the company enjoyable and she responded to questions in a timely and complete manner. I would recommend "My Own Chef" to anyone for any type of event. They are simply outstanding.

Sent on 08/16/2014

Amy · Married on 02/14/2013

Vickie is so great to work with, and pays great attention to every detail! She made sure that our reception was perfect! We had a buffet dinner reception which included a prime rib carving station that my groom had requested. He was so pleased! All of the food was cooked to perfection. Vickie offers a wide variety of menu options, and she even prepared children's meal boxes for my "little people" guests... they loved their special chicken fingers and mac & cheese! And the parents loved that we had thought of them too. Thanks to Vickie and her team for a wonderful evening!

Sent on 03/14/2013

nicole · Married on 03/15/2008

I've lived in Texas all my life and have never tasted bar-b-que so tender, juicy and mouth-watering as the bar-b-que from My Own Chef! The Italian Cream cake w/buttercream icing was to die for!!! There was nothing left at the reception! EVERYBODY raved about their food! You must try them!!!

Sent on 04/01/2008

Jane · Married on 01/12/2017

We loved working with you and all of the food except the German dinner. The potatoes were so dry and hard. The
    apple strudel was disappointing. so that is why marked value four starts. Do realize that only two disappointments from other perfects meal is still a good rating and we are wanting to compliment you on going the extra mile for us on many items. For example, when you omitted the bottled water for the Motor Coach Tour, a staff person drove the water to lunch spot which is 18 miles out. Hope to work with you in the future, wishing you much success. Jane Woellhof
    J

Sent on 01/12/2017

Catherine · Married on 10/11/2014

Choosing vendors for a destination wedding is a challenge, but we definitely lucked out with our caterer. Vicki provided a sit down dinner of salmon and tenderloin. The food was cooked perfectly and everyone raved about the dinner. The beef came out perfectly cooked, still pink and warm in the middle. Considering we had a sit down dinner of 165 it was no small fete! The pastry chef Daryl, did a great job on the wedding and groom's cakes. We had a lemon icing and raspberry filling for the bride's cake and it was delicious! Also, we had passed horsdoevres during the cocktail hour. The quail was delicious. Probably the only thing that did not go over were the kabobs because they were a little big for finger food, but they were still very good. All in all, they did an awesome job.

Sent on 10/19/2014

Chavaun · Married on 09/02/2007

I am so grateful for the culinary talents of the Bonewitzs. We challenged them to create a buffet dinner for South Louisiana Cajuns and Midwest meat and potatoes guests. They rose to the challenge with such magnificence. Everyone was impressed and everyone had seconds. Vicki even changed the way a few of the Cajuns season their shrimp!!!
    Vicki and Darrel worked as a great team to provide catering for our rehearsal dinner, our wedding and to create our wedding and grooms cake.
    Prior to our tasting, Vicki and I worked together to create a menu with a Cajun dish, a chicken dish, salad and sides not to mention cocktail hour hors d'oeuvres. At the tasting, they took the time to discuss each dish, how it would be served and sides would best accompany it. Darrell had on hand several cake and frosting combinations as well as cake pictures. Darrell is really creative so we gave him an idea and allowed him to run with the grooms cake creation like no other. Seeing the look of surprise and excitement as my guests enjoyed such wonderful food was compliment enough for Vicki.
    My Chef Catering also provided professional wait staff and bartending staff that did a wonderful job. I highly recommend My Own Chef catering for any Hill Country event. They are professional, they are talented, and they are fun!

Sent on 01/18/2008

Paul · Married on 04/03/2017

It has worked very well for my group meetings!

Sent on 01/11/2017

Laura · Married on 06/11/2016

1.6
      2.0
      2.0
      1.0
      0.5
      3.0

I used My Own Chef to cater my wedding. The food tasted excellent! The serving staff dressed professionally. The buffet was presented very nicely. For the most part, they were accommodating when it came to "customizing" the buffet to meet the needs of my event. As a detail oriented bride, they did ask a lot of questions to make sure the food aspect of the event aligned with my vision. What I found most off-putting about this company was their office manager. I NEVER spoke with, or was introduced to the chef. The ONLY person I spoke with was the office manager, Holly, who wasn't super warm. I found her VERY pushy. When I called to say I had selected the BBQ buffet for an outdoor/country wedding, she said, "Really? Really? Really? You want BBQ buffet at your wedding? That's SO informal." Shouldn't matter, I'm the bride, it's my event, and I'M PAYING YOU! I feel they were rather pricy. There was a charge for EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING. You call to make a change $50. You call to undo the change you originally requested, ANOTHER $50. This was 2 weeks before the wedding, which was past their allowed to change date, but come on, it was a BUFFET! I felt like they were trying to nickel and dime everything which made me wonder, how great of a company are you? I don't feel like they knew me as a customer, there were several times where I hung up the phone very frustrated. The last call Holly said, "We've had a good relationship, let's not ruin that." Shows how much you know, Holly.

Sent on 01/21/2017