Kitchen Chicago Reviews

Kitchen Chicago View more information

Stephanie F. Married on 10/12/2019

Beautiful Space & Amazing Staff

Kitchen Chicago is such a beautiful space - and we are so happy it was the site of our wedding. Nicole and Orlando are incredibly easy to work with. Nicole handled all of our inquiries leading up to the wedding and was so responsive. She always worked to accommodate our needs - including finding space to store popsicles the day before our wedding. Orlando supported logistics the day of the wedding, and made sure that everything was delivered smoothly and that our vendors were set up for success. He even made sure we didn’t leave anything behind as my we live in New York. Overall, our wedding was amazing and beautiful and that was thanks to the Kitchen Chicago team!
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie Married on 07/20/2019

Kitchen Chicago was a great decision!

We probably looked at over 15 venues for our July wedding. We knew we were too nervous to have a completely outdoor venue, and it wasn't in our budget to go with a space like Salvage One with both indoor and outdoor options, but we wanted a place that felt like it had it's shit together and had successfully hosted parties and weddings.

Enter Orlando. Orlando was the front-facing employee we dealt with for Kitchen Chicago, and he gave us an hours long tour on a Wednesday afternoon, complete with specific details about dos and don'ts for the venue space, dressed impeccably and fully accessorized. He answered questions we didn't know we had, calmed our fears, and still made us feel that our wedding would be unique and one-of-a-kind (#milleniallyfe). We were able to schedule multiple follow-up meetings with various vendors, he was available to answer questions and figure things out through day-of and day-after, and was just generally a delight to work with. As we got closer to our big day, we also worked with Nicole quite a bit, who was also such a joy!

The space itself is great- if you like the feel when you are there for a tour, you'll like it even more when it's decorated for your event. Our caterer was happy with the kitchen access, our DJ was able to setup easily, the natural light was on point for our photographer, the various decor vendors pulled things off without us even noticing- but the real meat of the venue-couple relationship is the people. The people at Kitchen Chicago are outstanding. Flexible, clear communicators who have limits and rules and stick to them without emotions taking over or trying to surprise you with something sneaky at the last minute. They bring to the table experience and knowledge of past mistakes and successes to make sure that your event goes even better than the last.

--written by my spouse, who can write a review but whose ADHD prevents them from actually following through with posting it!
    Deborah Married on 05/27/2018
    We had our wedding reception at kitchen Chicago a few weeks ago. It was absolutely beautiful and didn't need much decorating. Nicole and our amazing caterer (Cocina Fusion) planned so many things that I didn't need to worry. They tried to accommodate us around our needs time wise, etc. Orlando is great and it was nice to have him around to make sure things we running smoothly. I highly recommend this cool, urban space that is affordable!
    Danielle Married on 06/17/2017
    We Just had our wedding here this past Saturday and it was absolutely beautiful and amazing and everything we imagined. First of all, for what you're getting (a beautiful open loft space in the city) the price is unbeatable. I'm not kidding when I say I contacted no less than 10 similar venues here and no one was close to the price. The space itself is really unique, and they aren't contracted with any vendors, have no "preferred" list of caterers you must work with, nothing at all like that so you can make your event exactly what you want it to be. Which is incredibly helpful if you're like us and have champagne taste on a beer budget.

In addition to being a super cool space, the staff is amazing. We worked primarily with Nicole, who is so incredibly helpful for a venue manager. I emailed her countless times with questions about vendors, logistics stuff and just general "how do I make this happen" type of things and she was always so friendly, responsive and accommodating. We put together our own centerpieces with bulk flowers the day before the wedding and they let us use a cooler to store them in overnight even though they had a wedding that day. We were able to go to the venue last minute for a few things without any hassle or issue. Pretty much anything I proposed to her she was like "cool, let's do it, how can I help?". You could tell she really cares about peoples day going as seamless as possible, and is so down to earth and easy to work with.

I cannot say enough good things about Kitchen Chicago and feel truly fortunate we found this "diamond in the rough" : )
  • User2551078 2+ years ago
    This venue was an amazing backdrop for our wedding. They give you flexibility to make your event come to life. The staff is super responsive and was great to work with.
  • User1988069 2+ years ago
    Great location to hold our wedding with a very industrial yet warm look. The staff was very flexible and they ensured we had the resources necessary to make our wedding a success.

We could see ourselves using the space for other functions in the future!
  • User994874 2+ years ago
    Fantastic venue with a wide open space, wooden floors, and rustic feel. Great for a bride on a budget since you can bring in any caterer!
    Joleen Married on 10/15/2011
    I cannot say enough good things about this place. When my husband and I were looking for venues to hold our ceremony and reception we went through a lot of different ideas. A friend of mine had been to an event here and told me to check it out. The website describes it as a shared kitchen space for start up chefs that also has an event space attached. I immediately liked this, since I am a chef, and thought it would be great way to add a little of my personality to the wedding.

The pictures of the event space did make it seem a little small, our guest list being 80ppl, but we decided to check it out anyways. When we walked in I was blown away! The space was much, much bigger than I thought it was! And it was exactly what we were looking for. The price was great. Alexis our main contact was very attentive and answered all of our questions within hours of emailing. It had exposed brick, high ceilings and a loft space. Plus the attached kitchen which was very, very convenient for our caterers. And on top of all of that you even get a security guard included in the price!!!

My husband does event planning for a living and I worked as a banquet Chef were I mainly focused on weddings so we do have a lot of experience with both good and bad vendors and Kitchen Chicago came out way on top.

We got so many compliments on the space, it truly was an amazing find and made our special day perfect! I would highly recommend this space for any event
    Carly Married on 03/14/2015
    My husband and I got married at Kitchen Chicago in March, and it was a great place to celebrate! It really is a diamond in the rough – the industrial factor of the surrounding neighborhood really adds character to an already interesting and beautiful space. We had 70 guests and there was more than enough space for everyone to mingle, plus I loved that we could transition from the ceremony right into the reception easily by just moving the chairs over to the tables that were already in place. We scheduled the wedding during sunset and I can’t even describe the color and glow of the room. It was absolutely amazing. Plus we could see the lights of United Center for the Blackhawks game that was going on later in the evening. Nicole, Orlando and Alexis were all very helpful and accommodating, and they have a lot of tips and tricks for using their versatile space to make things happen. I really appreciated being able to schedule deliveries before and after the weekend so we weren’t charged a premium for Saturday pickup. Overall we had a great experience here and I would recommend KC to anyone looking for a versatile event space.
    Cortney Married on 09/08/2012
    When I first started researching venues for my wedding, I happened across Kitchen Chicago on a random wedding blog I found. I fell in love with it when I saw the pictures, and the cost was pretty much unbeatable. It was the first place we went to see, and I think I knew as soon as we walked in that I would get married there.

We looked at a few more places in our budget range, including the Glessner House, Swedish American Museum, and High Concept Labs, but decided on Kitchen - I wanted that lofty, city feel, and being able to have total freedom to choose a caterer was also very important to us.

I mostly dealt with Alexis and Nicolle, and both were very helpful and prompt in returning emails and answering questions. I went a couple different times to look at the space before the wedding with no problem. We were able to get in the day before the wedding to decorate and do a rehearsal, which was awesome. My cousin made our desserts and rented a few hours in the baking kitchen the night before to finish everything up.

The space is so gorgeous on its own that we kept the decorations to a minimum. We had our ceremony in front of the large windows at about 5pm and people commented on how cool the sky looked behind us. We had a total of 130 people, and I would say that's probably the max for the space. We weren't crowded, but it was snug enough that I'm glad we didn't have many more than that. We probably couldn't have fit another table comfortably - we had to have room to dance!

I would highly recommend Kitchen Chicago - the people there are a pleasure to work with, very laid back and accommodating. And the cost is lower than comparable loft spaces in the city.
    Stacey Married on 05/19/2012
    We recently had our wedding reception at Kitchen Chicago (May 2012) and it was the perfect venue for us! Alexis is super easy to work with and extremely accommodating. I was concerned about being able to set up some things the day before, and she made it easy for us to get access to the space both the day before and the day after to pick up leftover items.

It is beautiful space that actually requires minimal decoration. I had never seen it in the late afternoon and it was just beautiful and bright when we walked in for our reception around 5:30pm. Because the space is a beautiful blank canvas and Alexis is so flexible, you can really make the space your own. It was perfect for our buffet reception of 85 people. We used the loft space to set out some snacks during the cocktail hour and that worked out well too.

We loved that we could bring in any caterer and were able to have one of our favorite local BBQ restaurants cater our wedding. Also the ability to bring in your own alcohol was a big money saver for us.

Kitchen Chicago is a great space that you can totally make your own!
  • User2269118 2+ years ago
    We absolutely love Kitchen Chicago! Our church has our services there every week and having our wedding there was magical. If you like simple elegance with a city flair, this is your place! The exposed brick and loft give it a city feel while the lighting and hardwood floors provide elegance. Nicole and Orlando are very flexible and easy to work with!
    Robin Married on 07/12/2014
    The space was gorgeous. The price was right. The people were very helpful and responsive throughout the planning process.
    We had a couple problems the day of....we arrived to a filthy space...no one had cleaned from a raucous party the night before. Apparently that job was assigned to someone who didn't fulfill his responsibility. Our point person was in a minor accident en route to the venue, and there was no one else available to contact for help. In the end, he arrived and put in a huge effort to make it right. It added a lot of stress...but everything worked out, and I gather it was an unusual occurrence. We had a beautiful experience in spite of the rough start. Orlando was our helper that day, and once he arrived he did a great job to make it all better.
    Jamison Married on 01/28/2017
    The space is gorgeous if you are looking for a small and rustic feel. Nicole and, especially, Orlando were helpful throughout the process. Our guests loved the intimacy of the place, too, and the space lighting was beautiful.

A few suggestions/concerns/feedback:
    -The venue is very bare bones (there are a few free farm tables that you can use as well as chairs--$2.00 a chair--totally worth it).
    -You will need to make sure that you hire outside catering, liquor, staff et cetera for the day. I would recommend a day-of coordinator for your event because Orlando oversees the venue but isn't a day-of person so make sure to find someone to do that for you.
    -Because there was an event the evening before our wedding, we weren't allowed into the venue for any setup until 1:00pm on the day-of, which was a HIGH stress point for us as our ceremony started at 5:00pm. We were originally told we couldn't go in until 1:00pm, then we were told we could setup a bit on the Friday before, and then we were told one last time that we couldn't be in until 1:00pm.
    -On the day of the wedding, a few family members and friends were setting up the venue (at 1:00pm) and Orlando was showing the space to someone else, which was completely okay with our family/friends, until they were asked if they could move a table out of the way. Everyone understood why the venue was being showed that day but it didn't feel right that they were asked to move a table as they were in the process of rushing to get everything done before our arrival.
    -On a final walkthrough, a few weeks before the wedding, there were some white Christmas lights hanging on the wall where the ceremony was going to be. We asked if they would be up for the wedding and we were told, "yes, if you want them." To our surprise, the lights were gone on the day of the wedding. It ended up working out, anyway, but it felt back and forth.