20 South Catering Reviews

35 | Charlottesville, VA

35 Reviews for 20 South Catering

35 20 South Catering Reviews

Abby · Married on 11/08/2014

It is my pleasure to write this review for Jim Puopulo and his incredible team at 20 South Catering. Jim provided the catering for our November 8th wedding at King Family Vineyards, and we could not be more pleased. We received countless compliments on the food, signature cocktail, family style dinner service, and 20th South’s amazing staff.
    I should mention that though our wedding was in Charlottesville, we currently live in California. Even with a three hour time difference and miles between us, Jim always worked around our schedule and made time for us whenever we needed to call him or whenever we were in town for a wedding planning trip. He was extremely helpful as he guided us throughout our whole wedding planning process—always available to answer questions, always professional, and always fun. He was there for us without fail all the way through the final days leading up to the wedding. Our meetings with Jim (especially our tasting session) were some of the most fun times we had preparing for our wedding day. I can honestly say that 20 South’s food was among the best I’ve ever had, period. I should also mention that the service was flawless. We were able to spend time with our guests and enjoy our wedding carefree knowing that Jim and his team were there taking care of everything behind the scenes. 20 South without a doubt went above and beyond and completely exceeded our expectations.
    One of our favorite aspects of the wedding reception was the family style dinner service. We wanted our wedding to celebrate our families becoming one—and food is such a lovely part of celebration and family gatherings. The family style service embraced that sense of coming together, encouraging fun and conversation, and further enhancing the warm environment. We wanted the food to be a highlight of the evening, and Jim’s team totally succeeded in making that happen. Thank you so much to 20 South!

Jenna · Married on 10/17/2014

20 South...what can I say, but amazing! Many people get scared of the pricing of caterers, but although my husband and I didn't want to pay that much, the money thought went out the window when we met Jim and Summer. The patience, humor, precision, ideas, etc. I could go on. We chose 20 South not just because of the food, but because of their attention to detail, their love for our wedding day (although they knew us only 5 minutes), and their continuous flexibility. Jim and Summer spent so much time with us by phone, in person, email, etc. and never got irritated or annoyed. Also, having a caterer that helps with decoration ideas is amazing. They gave us so many ideas and just were so flexible with everything.

Jim also knows so many people in the Charlottesville area, our florist, DJ, and cake lady were all recommended by Jim. And they were amazing. At the wedding, of course there were tiny hiccups, but the staff was amazing. My guests were commenting all night on how great the staff was and how attentive they were. They were personable and my guests just loved them. 20 South takes great care of their staff, which in turn is why they are so great to the guests and work so hard.

By the way, if I don't mention this my husband will be angry...but the Appetizers!!!! OH MY!!! Not only were we in love with the appetizers, but our guests could not get enough. The bacon wrapped dates are the greatest thing I have ever had, the tomato bisque with the grilled cheese is just awesome...and although I cannot have shellfish, everyone loved the crap-pops! Just so fabulous.

20 South was amazing from top to bottom, from start to finish, and I honestly do not think this wedding would have been as amazing as it was without them! Just perfect. Every bride wants their day to be perfect and for their vendors to care just as much about the wedding as they do...and 20 South does that. They care about your day like it is their own! Thank you so much Jim and Summer!

Bethany · Married on 10/11/2014

Jim and Summer were so wonderful to work with! We changed our menu a few times and they accommodated us with ease. Not only were they great as people, but they are good at what they do - people are still talking about how delicious the food was two weeks after! They gave us wonderful recommendations to other vendors and we couldn't have been happier. In addition to Jim and Summer, the rest of the 20 South team was phenomenal. They were polite, fun, and did a great job with their service. They also were wonderful in making sure I ate something which I am so thankful for! I give 20 South my highest regard, respect, and recommendation. Our wedding would not have been as perfect as it was without them!

Dustin · Married on 06/21/2014

The reviews don't lie, these guys are pros. Jim created a modern mexican themed menu for our wedding, and all we heard all night was how good the food was. The real bonus though was how incredibly seamless they made the whole experience: setting up, serving and breaking down with extreme efficiency and no fuss. There is literally not one thing they could have done better; these guys deserve all the success in the world.

Katie · Married on 09/13/2013

The food we had at our wedding was incredible! Summer, Jim and the staff at 20 South Catering could not have been easier to work with. They were always available when needed, worked with me when I kept changing the menu, did a great job setting up for the wedding and worked well with the other vendors.The food went above and beyond our expectations. The passed appetizers were a huge hit and I still have guests calling me and asking what kind of cheese we had for our cheese board. Our food was served family style. Every person at the wedding raved about the flat iron streak and they could not get enough of the shrimp and grits. The service was phenomenal and everyone commented on how tentative the bartenders and service staff were. My husband and I only wish we had more time to eat the food during the wedding. We are hoping we can get the meal recreated from 20 South on our one year anniversary. I would not waste your time searching around, if you are looking for southern style comfort food- 20 South Catering is the best option!!

20 South did an absolutely fantastic job at our wedding. We received many compliments for the outstanding food. We catered family style and the food was fresh and delicious (salmon and beef tenderloin mains with grits and green bean sides). They customized several of the menu items and also prepared outstanding signature cocktails (whiskey smash and pimms cocktails). The quality of the liquor at the open bar was also top-shelf.

Jim was incredibly responsive and took care of many logistical details as well. He dealt directly with Festive Fare to order linens, china, etc., saving us a lot of time. He also provided recommendations for other local vendors (our DJ and day of coordinator - both turned out great).

We couldn't have asked for a better experience, especially at their price point. Would definitely use them again and enthusiastically recommend to friends and family.

Rita · Married on 07/13/2013

20 South Catering was fabulous! From the very first meeting, they were so organized and asked all the right questions to make the planning process go so smoothly. The tasting was more than I could have asked for. The food was out of this world. So many of the guests from the wedding were blown away with how great the food was. Their staff at the reception was very friendly and helpful. They set up all the tables for the reception and it looked perfect! Jim and Summer run a great business and I could not have asked for better caterers to work with! I hope I attend a wedding in the future where they are the caterers because I can't wait to eat their delicious food again!

Linda · Married on 07/13/2013

We knew we had picked a winner with this group at our very first meeting. Their organization and attention to detail in leading us through the process was incredible. And then a few months later we did our tasting! Wow! I've eaten plenty of salmon in many places but never have I had cedar planked salmon that was done that well! What a bonus that they were able to cook everything on site and not rely on hot boxes to keep things warm after cooking somewhere else. Jim and Summer, your advice was priceless and your food was absolutely amazing. Thank you so much!

Carol · Married on 05/11/2013

I want to offer the HIGHEST praise for Jim Puopolo and 20 South Catering, which catered my daughter's 5/11/13 wedding. From the moment of our tasting last year, we knew that the food and presentation would be fantastic, well orchestrated and delectable. Jim and his staff truly run a tight ship, and you can count on their integrity and their making your event a seamless and beautiful affair.
    I agree with a previous reviewer that 20 South IS the gold standard of catering in Charlottesville!!

Jenna · Married on 05/04/2013

This is the all-star caterer- the A list, the team you want to have doing your wedding. Their food quality is outstanding, and the service impeccable. They have a lot to choose from and are very flexible and attentive with requests, allergy needs/issues, and personal preferences. We had them cater our 135 guests sit down dinner family style, and everything came out hot, freshly cooked, and all at the same time. Everyone at our wedding was raving about the food. What's even better- other vendors were excited and had personal requests from their menu- a very good sign.

I have to again highlight their service. They and their staff worked like a well oiled machine, because they are. Guests never knew how things were happening, only that they were executed perfectly. They coordinated all the flow of the event with no hitches. Setup & takedown- smooth as could be.

If I could give them 10 stars I would. Thank you for making our wedding so wonderful!

They are THE gold standard for catering in Charlottesville.

Katie · Married on 04/27/2013

We already knew that 20 South Catering was amazing from other weddings we had attended. We even booked them before we signed the contract for our venue to be sure we would have them for our wedding, and we picked a venue specifically because they allowed outside catering. The aspect we loved most was that they offered "Family Style" meal service. We have never been a big fan of buffets and who hasn't been to a seated meal where you wish you ordered the steak instead of the chicken 3 months ago when you filled out your invitation? With Family Style, you get the best of all foods without having to stand in line! :-)
    20 South Catering is incredible. The food speaks for itself, and just as advertised, it is simple, delicious food that everyone likes with an incredible taste. Our guests could not stop talking about the food, and several tables ordered multiple platters of food :-). We had big eaters! The best part about this company, however, is the people. The people are just good people, and by the end of the process, they felt like part of the family. The are kind, down to earth, easy going, and great at what they do. They run a great business, and they were always willing to quickly and thoroughly answer my questions throughout the process, no matter how silly or small. They were accommodating to some requests we had, but they really just took care of everything. They make the process very easy and streamlined and downright flawless. I love these people and I will always remember them when thinking about my awesome wedding day and how much they contributed to it, not only with their food, but with their care and attention!

Renee · Married on 10/13/2012

My husband and I have worked many years in the restaurant industry, and have very high expectations when it come to both food and service. 20 South Catering not only met those high expectations, but exceeded them!! We were told by MANY guests (including our friends who are chefs in fine-dining restaurants) that the food was the best they have ever had at a wedding!

• Mandi

Mandi · Married on 09/15/2012

Jim and 20 South were exactly what we were looking for in a wedding caterer. Two months later, people still talk about how good the food was at our wedding. Not only was the food top notch, but Jim and his team are experts at weddings. I felt very comfortable that they had things under control, would manage the timeline properly, get things set up and taken down efficiently and run a seamless show, which they did. It was so nice having someone with such expertise to work with. Also, they were extremely flexible, so my husband and I were able to develop a menu and dinner style that was different than what they typically do, and it was perfectly executed by the 20 South team. I can't recommend 20 South highly enough.

• Erin

Erin · Married on 07/07/2012

Jim and his staff at 20 South are such pros. It was so fun and easy to work with Jim to plan my wedding. The tasting was a great experience and throughout he was so knowledgable not only about catering, but about other vendors in the Cville area as well.

We ended up going family style with a plated salad. Guests RAVED about the food!!! Normally wedding food is just okay, this food was excellent and the perfect choices for a hot summer day.

The night moved very smoothly. I have been at weddings in the past where there is a large break between the salad and dinner and people start to get antsy. This was not the case with my wedding. Everything went beautifully, and I have Jim and 20 South to thank for that!

Meg · Married on 06/30/2012

Wow. Our entire experience with Jim and his team at 20 South was stellar. Jim and his team took time to search for particular things we wanted, and communicated regularly throughout the planning process. Our wedding was the night after the crazy thunderstorm natural disasters. He and his team pulled it off, working tirelessly. Lucky their trailer has extra power! They coordinated with the Keswick staff to run everything off generators--it was certainly a feat! We went family style, and the food and service were top notch. Our guests commented on how good all the food was, and servers were always smiling and bringing more around. And on top of it all, the cost was VERY reasonable.

Lauren · Married on 10/29/2011

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

By far the best service we got for our perfect perfect perfect wedding.

This company is so well run. They are responsive to all planning emails, take care of literally everything for your big day (from set-up to tear down and everything in between!) and the staff is friendly and helpful. The food is outstanding - everyone told us it was the best wedding food they've ever had. They're willing to work with your budget and threw in all the little extras (hot cider station before the ceremony, etc) that made our day absolutely perfect.

Seriously can not recommend these guys enough. Absolutely delightful and I wish I was getting married again just to work with them again! Wonderful.

Nikki · Married on 09/10/2011

20 South was amazing. Their food is unbelievable... my guests were talking about the food all night. Jim is awesome. He always responded to my emails very quickly and catered to our every need. It was amazing to see my vision come to life and they made it happen, down to every little detail.

Ashley · Married on 09/04/2011

Jim and Pierce with 20 South are hands down the best in the area for wedding catering - trust me, we met with them all. Their prices are very reasonable, they are experts when it comes to weddings, so they give great advice on your reception timeline and other details that not many caterers would concern themselves with, and they genuinely care about the couples they work with. Oh and equally important, their food is AMAZING! We lost count of how many people told us ours was the best wedding food they’ve ever eaten. Mmm and we couldn’t agree more. I seriously wanted to cry when I couldn’t eat the leftovers they packed for us to take home because we left for our honeymoon early the next day - so sad. Their staff is amazing also. I had several girlfriends who lost their husbands during the reception because they were having so much fun at the bar answering sports trivia questions with the bartender. We were not disappointed once with the service 20 South provided throughout our entire wedding planning process and the day of. My now husband and I are so happy that we had the pleasure of working with 20 South.

Adrienne · Married on 07/01/2011

We had a great experience with Jim and Pierce and they were very helpful in giving advice and handling setup for the day. We ended up going with family style and everyone loved the food and were comfortable asking for more. They helped everything go smoothly and we couldn't have been happier. Our only wish was that we had more time to enjoy the food!

• Lisa

Lisa · Married on 06/25/2011

20 South was amazing! They are a well-developed team who are full of professionalism and personality! They made our wedding the perfect day that I dreamed of! Jim and Pierce really know what they are doing--they were prompt, expedient, and informative. Their food was delicious and well planned! Guests raved about the food from the appetizers to the main course. We had a family style sit down dinner and it worked out great! I would definitely recommend them to everyone as they made the day amazing!

Elizabeth · Married on 05/30/2011

20 South was the best choice we made regarding our wedding. They are so much more than a catering company--they provide planning help, linens/plates/stemware/etc, setup the ceremony site (if needed), coordinate other vendors...I really cannot say enough about Jim, Pierce and everyone else. Plus, their food is exceptional (we received countless compliments from guests). Jim and Pierce are a pleasure to work with as they are incredibly organized, very good about responding to emails and phone calls and generally answered my questions before I even knew I had them. The evening of the wedding, Jim was managing everything so I felt completely at ease. Best of all, they fit within any budget.

Ashley · Married on 05/02/2011

20 South is amazing! Jim and Peirce are so easy to work with and they are very professional. The food was fantastic (all of my guests loved it... we had a few restaurant owners/chefs in the crowd and they were very impressed) and they were very flexible with how I wanted to design the menu and even any liquor preferences our guests might have. Even though 20 South will work with local rental companies on your behalf to create your dream wedding...for the more frugal at heart, like myself and my husband, they also supply their own linens, place settings, glassware/stemware, and service ware. They even had a portable speaker with a microphone and iPod dock that my officiant used for our ceremony! They truly go above and beyond for any bride and groom to be!

Melanie · Married on 04/30/2011

20 South was one of the best choices we could have made. I cannot say enough how wonderful the food was, how awesome Pierce and his staff are, or how great everything looked. Pierce really has an eye for detail- he covered everything we thought of, and some things that we didn't. He took care of all our rentals from Festive Fare- all we had to do was choose! 20 South is hands down the best caterer in the area; you won't be disappointed!

Geraldine · Married on 12/31/2010

20 South is seroius about providing the best service and best menu. They offered us a contract that was professional and complete. Every detail was spelled out clearly. Our questions were anticipated and answered completely. They work closely with other vendors in the area. They coordinated wtih Festive Fare to provide the table settings and linens. All we had to do was make the selections. 20 South took care of keeping an accurate count as the final number of attendees was determined. The food was incredible! 20 South offers buffet, served meals and home-style as options. We choose home-style. Taste and presentation deserve a 10+ rating. 20 South staff were attentive, polite and everything was served with elegance and professionalism and a smile. It is clear that the staff really enjoy doing what they do so well. Please consider them for your event. You will be glad that you did.

• I

Irina · Married on 11/20/2010

In a word, AMAZING! 20 South is a catering company that does it all. Not only can you rest assured that you food will taste delicious and will look like a million dollars as well, but rest assured that they will take care of all the little details that come up on wedding day. They set up a beautiful name card table, set the tables to look as if our wedding was a fairytale, and had impeccable service throughout! Our guests could not stop talking about how phenomenal our food tastes and our venue looked. I would HIGHLY recommend this caterer to any bride and groom. You won't be disappointed one bit.