The Wellwood

Charlestown, MD View map Visit website

The Wellwood is conveniently located in Charlestown, Maryland within an hour of Philadelphia, Dover, Lancaster & Baltimore.

The Wellwood is your all-in-one reception & ceremony venue with beautiful water views & unsurpassed service. We are a full-service location providing your reception food & beverage package, table linen, service staff and assistance with managing your wedding day details. Customized isn’t just a word to us; it’s an attitude.

Facilities & Capacity

The Wellwood comfortably accommodates guest lists up to 300 guests in our climate controlled tented banquet pavilion – air conditioning for spring & summer; heating for fall & winter.

The Wellwood restaurant can accommodate up to 50 guests in our dining room. The Wellwood restaurant has private and semi-private dining spaces available to host your rehearsal dinner, bridal shower, guest meet & greet and send off brunch.

Our waterfront ceremony set up overlooking the North East River provides a beautiful setting for your vows. We provide your ceremony arch, white runner, chairs, tables for your unity service and programs as well as bottled water at the ceremony site.

Reception menu packages feature station & hand-passed hors d’oeuvre, buffet, served meals and station style meal services. Vegetarian & Gluten free meals are available too! The Wellwood specializes in Maryland Seafood. There are different beverage package options including options to add table side wine service or an hour of cordials. Please share your menu and beverage ideas with us - we are happy to customize a menu for you!

Also, The Wellwood's wedding packages include floor-length polyester table cloths and napkins in a wide variety of colors. The main reception area is complete with all of your tables, choice of chairs (white folding chairs or chiavari chairs), china, flatware, glassware, appetizer display, colored uplighting, head table and cake backdrops.

The Wellwood's events team will design your reception floor plan and reception time line to help you with your day of details and coordinate with your other vendors on your wedding day to ensure your details are complete and your guests are served with a smile.

Accommodations:

There are vacation homes available for rental right next door to the Wellwood that provide a fantastic place to spend your honeymoon night and a great place to get ready for your wedding day!

Area hotels are located within three miles of our location. The Wellwood courtesy shuttle has two scheduled pick up times to bring your guests to our location and two scheduled return times to return your guests to a North East MD hotel.

Water taxi (seasonal)

Accommodates up to 15 passengers with a full bar onboard & bluetooth sound system. The Captain is available to schedule a private cruise for your group.

Do you have a site fee for wedding receptions at your venue?

What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during peak season?

$2,500

What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during off-peak season?

$1,500

Do you have a site fee for wedding ceremonies at your venue?

What is the starting site fee for wedding ceremonies during peak season?

$750

What is the starting site fee for wedding ceremonies during off-peak season?

$500

Which of the following are included in starting site fee?

Bridal Suite
Parking
Set Up
Tables
Transportation

Which of the following are included in the cost of wedding catering?

Cake Cutting
Server(s)

What is the starting price per person for bar service?

$22

Which of the following are included in the starting price for bar service?

Bartender(s)
Champagne Toast
House Beer
House Liquor
House Wine
Open Bar

What is the maximum capacity of your venue?

How many event spaces or rooms does your venue offer?

Describe your venue:

Banquet Hall
Beach
Boat/Yacht
Historic Building
Restaurant
Waterfront

What kind of settings are available?

Indoor
Covered Outdoor

Which of the following wedding events does your venue service?

Ceremony
Reception
Bridal Shower
Engagement Party
Rehearsal Dinner

What event services do you offer?

Accommodations
All Inclusive Packages
Bar Services
Catering Services
Clean Up
Event Planner
Get Ready Rooms
Set Up

What catering services do you offer?

Buffet
Cocktail Reception
Dessert
Hors d'oeuvres
Plated
Server(s)
Stations
Tastings

What bar services do you provide?

Bartender(s)
Premium Liquor
Signature Drink
Specialty Beer
Specialty Wine

What event items are available?

Aisle Markers
Lighting
Tables
Tents
Tent Accessories

What food and beverage items are available?

Barware
China
Chocolate Fountain
Flatware
Glassware
Linens

What transportation and access is available?

Parking
Shuttle

What months are included in your peak season?

May
June
July
August
September
October

What months are included in your off-peak season?

January
February
March
April
November
December

Katie T. Married on 05/23/2020

Unforgettable wedding

Our wedding was on May 15 2021, and that was after three COVID-19 postponements. At the end of the day, I am ecstatic that we held our wedding and celebration at the Wellwood.
    My now-husband and I were set on having a waterfront ceremony because of our love of the Eastern Shore. Back in late 2019, I was losing hope and made a call to the Wellwood one night out of desperation. I will never forget Angela, the event coordinator, asking me what was important to me and asking me questions about my husband and I. Back then, I’d consider myself jaded from the wedding industry, as a lot of venues were more into cramming as many ceremonies at once to make maximum profit. But Angela never made me feel like that – especially not during the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, when I called her in a panic and debated about postponing. When things were constantly changing, she was very understanding of my concerns and laid out what we could do to solve them.
    Our ceremony was beautiful, facing the Northeast River, complete with a grand entrance that Angela helped facilitate with my bridal party. Guests were shuttled to the ceremony site. My only complaint is that I wish there were better options for guests in wheelchairs at the ceremony site and transportation, as the shuttle did not have a wheelchair lift. The food was excellent, even though there were some mix-ups with food on my end and a guest did not inform me they had allergies. Overall, an unforgettable night that was well worth the wait.
    Amber Married on 06/02/2018
    I cannot say anything but positive things about the Wellwood and Angela! We had the most perfect wedding there, and Angela was there to help every step of the way! Angela worked with me for over a year to help me plan my big day and she was very responsive and flexible whenever we met with her. We were concerned that we would not have enough space to store all of our decor, or enough time to set up the venue on the day of the wedding so Angela and her team allowed us to start setting up some of our stuff the night before the wedding to make sure that everything got done. Angela coordinated the rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner to make sure that everything went smooth, and she was there during each step of the wedding day whether that was to drive me to my first look photos, made sure that my husband and I got a little time to ourselves on a get-away bus between the ceremony and reception that was packed with the appetizers that we might not have been able to have otherwise, made sure that my husband and I (plus our parents) had drinks throughout the night and she even got me a safety pin ASAP when my dress came apart on the top. I would HIGHLY recommend the Wellwood and Angela and her team for any event that anyone is planning!

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2011 Winner

DJ Jason Burns DJ Jason Burns Wedding DJs

I have had the pleasure of playing many weddings there and would highly recommend their venue for your Reception.

Desserts By Rita Desserts By Rita Wedding Cakes

What a beautiful location and wonderful food !!!!!!!!!!!

523 Water Street PO Box 280, PO Box 280 Charlestown, MD, 21914
Location of (The Wellwood)

The Wellwood frequently asked questions

What items and services are included in the starting site fee at The Wellwood?

The Wellwood includes the following items and services for wedding events in its starting site fee:
  • Bridal Suite
  • Parking
  • Set Up
  • Tables
  • Transportation

At The Wellwood, what items and services related to wedding catering are included in the cost?

The Wellwood includes the following items and services in its wedding catering costs:
  • Cake Cutting
  • Server(s)

At The Wellwood, what does the bar service starting price include?

The bar service starting price at The Wellwood includes:
  • Bartender(s)
  • Champagne Toast
  • House Beer
  • House Liquor
  • House Wine
  • Open Bar

What are the most important characteristics of The Wellwood in terms of venue type, style and location?

The space offered by The Wellwood for wedding events is known for:
  • Banquet Hall
  • Beach
  • Boat/Yacht
  • Historic Building
  • Restaurant
  • Waterfront

What kind of indoor/outdoor options are available at The Wellwood for wedding events?

The Wellwood offers the following indoor/outdoor options for weddings:
  • Indoor
  • Covered Outdoor

What kind of wedding events does The Wellwood offer?

The Wellwood offers the following types of wedding events:
  • Ceremony
  • Reception
  • Bridal Shower
  • Engagement Party
  • Rehearsal Dinner

What services does The Wellwood offer for wedding events?

The Wellwood offers the following services for wedding events:
  • Accommodations
  • All Inclusive Packages
  • Bar Services
  • Catering Services
  • Clean Up
  • Event Planner
  • Get Ready Rooms
  • Set Up

What furniture and decorations does The Wellwood have available for wedding events?

The Wellwood offers the following furniture and decor items for weddings:
  • Aisle Markers
  • Lighting
  • Tables
  • Tents
  • Tent Accessories

What percentage of users recommend The Wellwood and which are the most valued aspects of their wedding services?

The Wellwood is recommended by 100% of couples who have used their services. Their overall rating is 4.8 out of 5 with the following breakdown: 4.9 in quality of service, 4.9 in professionalism, 4.9 in value, 4.8 in flexibility and 4.4 in average response time.

Other vendors in Baltimore for your wedding

Wedding Venues