The Wellwood Reviews

23 | Charlestown, MD

23 Reviews for The Wellwood

Amber · Married on 06/02/2018

I cannot say anything but positive things about the Wellwood and Angela! We had the most perfect wedding there, and Angela was there to help every step of the way! Angela worked with me for over a year to help me plan my big day and she was very responsive and flexible whenever we met with her. We were concerned that we would not have enough space to store all of our decor, or enough time to set up the venue on the day of the wedding so Angela and her team allowed us to start setting up some of our stuff the night before the wedding to make sure that everything got done. Angela coordinated the rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner to make sure that everything went smooth, and she was there during each step of the wedding day whether that was to drive me to my first look photos, made sure that my husband and I got a little time to ourselves on a get-away bus between the ceremony and reception that was packed with the appetizers that we might not have been able to have otherwise, made sure that my husband and I (plus our parents) had drinks throughout the night and she even got me a safety pin ASAP when my dress came apart on the top. I would HIGHLY recommend the Wellwood and Angela and her team for any event that anyone is planning!

Sent on 07/04/2018

Chase · Married on 10/01/2016

What more could I say about Angela, Larry, and the staff at the Wellwood? From the months leading up to the wedding, the rehearsal dinner, and the day of the wedding ceremony and reception, we were extremely happy with our decision to make the Wellwood such a big part of our day! My wife and I knew we wanted a place by the water and in the quiet little town of Charlestown you couldn't ask for a better view of the Northeast River as it opens up into the Chesapeake. Then, when it came time to taste test the food, that sealed the day. Angela was very busy, as many people schedule weddings at this gorgeous and affordable venue, but was always willing to make time for us to discuss any concerns or questions we had. The packages that they offered for food and open bar were very reasonably priced and the amount of food we got, on top of the top quality, couldn't have been better. Unfortunately on the day of our wedding, mother nature did not want to cooperate, as it rained, but Angela and her staff transformed the large permanent tent structure into a beautiful setting for the ceremony, and then again for the reception. Be prepared for a lot of guests to tell you how much they loved the food, staff, and service here, along with the quaint water views. Last but not least the afterparty at the main bar makes for a great time, and the Wellwood can even set up after party food for you to make it last long into the night! Thanks for everything Angela! We hope to visit soon!

Sent on 01/08/2017

I worked with Angela on my wedding and she was great.I'm so glad I chose this venue it was amazing every step of the way.Angela really helped me a lot and it turned out better then I imagined it would.The best part was not having to worry about anything Angela had it all taken care of things I didn't even think about I don't know what I would have done without her.I definitely recommend .

Sent on 04/28/2015

Erin · Married on 06/28/2014

The Wellwood is the perfect wedding venue! We had the wedding of our dreams, thanks to Angela and the other Wellwood staff. The ceremony site overlooks the beautiful North East river, which makes for amazing photographs. The tent is awesome - you can't even tell you're in a tent because there's so much space. We wanted our wedding to be somewhat formal, but also wanted our guests to be able to relax and have a wonderful time. We got exactly what we wanted with the Wellwood! We got several compliments from our guests, stating that our food (baked salmon and filet and crab cake) was the best food they've EVER had at a wedding. It was delicious, and Angela even took the time to wrap up two extra plates for me and my husband to enjoy the next day. Angela is so thoughtful and organized, and really takes the time to make sure everything is perfect for you on your big day. We can't thank her enough for all her hard work. We would absolutely recommend the Wellwood to couples who are looking for a beautiful, affordable, fun venue at which to get married. You won't regret it!

Sent on 09/21/2014

Jennifer · Married on 06/14/2014

The Wellwood was the perfect place for my ceremony and reception. I can't say enough positive things about this place. The setting and venue are gorgeous. I wanted a nice wedding, but. Nothing "stuffy" or overly formal; I wanted everyone to have fun! Food was great, Angela was very helpful with organizing our day and making us feel special, the dance floor is big and they provide everything you need (food, bar, linens, etc.). We added a few upgrades to the package and things quickly add up in price, but it was definitely worth it because you get a great value for what you pay. The team at The Wellwood is very friendly, professional and easy to work with.

Sent on 06/25/2014

Eva · Married on 05/31/2014

Angela and the staff at The Wellwood were phenomenal. I couldn't have asked for a better place to have my wedding. Angela was extremely helpful.

Sent on 07/29/2014

Christina · Married on 04/20/2013

Our daughter's wedding at The Wellwood was perfect in every way. We were lucky enough to have good weather so the waterfront ceremony was absolutely beautiful and very memorable. The wedding coordinator, Angela, was on top of everything and made sure all the vendors knew what to do and where to go. We found her to be very responsive. Even when we asked her to make last minute changes to the wine menu, she was able to make the substitutions we asked for. Our wedding guests were very impressed with the food quality and quantity! We had so many compliments on the seafood bar, particularly about how amazing the oysters were. I could go on and on about how wonderful the whole day was! Suffice it to say that, thanks to Angela and the staff at Wellwood, our daughter's wedding will always be one of the best days of her life!

Sent on 05/09/2013

Lauren · Married on 05/19/2012

OMG! The Wellwood as a whole is a WONDERFUL place my wedding was everything I dreamed of and more!! Angela there is just the most amazing person she knew her stuff and was so helpful she made the whole planning process so easy! She made me feel so welcomed from day 1 and I will truley miss working with her! I would not only recommend them for any party, wedding or anything you need! You should just go there for dinner to! The food and staff are amazing! A+++++

Sent on 06/05/2012
  • Jess3925

Jessica · Married on 09/18/2010

The Wellwood is a beautiful setting for a wedding! We got married on the point overlooking the water. It was absolutely gorgeous, and we were lucky enough to have great weather. Angela is absolutely amazing! She was so helpful throughout the entire planning process, and really helped our wedding come together. She was available to answer questions via e-mail or phone, and always returned calls in a timely manner. She worked around our schedule wonderfully, and was always so helpful in utilizing her wedding planning expertise to help us. The food was amazing, and everyone had nothing but wonderful things to say about the ceremony site, venue, food, and staff. I would definitely recommend The Wellwood and Angela to any of my friends!

Sent on 02/21/2011
  • Erin

Erin · Married on 05/22/2010

I couldn't have been more happy with The Wellwood on the day of my wedding. The day before we had our rehearsal dinner there and it was fantastic. Our ceremony took place on the point overlooking the Susquehanna River in Charlestown, Maryland. The water looked beautiful and the same came out just enough to make our ceremony beautiful. The reception was great too. Angela did such a great job coordinating everything from the linens, to the table set up, etc... She was absolutely amazing to work with. She took the time to help us personalize exacatly what we wanted under a budget and had some great suggestions as well. All of our guests loved the food selections! Thanks again Angela for helping Michael and I create a day full of memories we will never forget!

Sent on 05/24/2010

Laura · Married on 09/08/2018

We can't recommend The Wellwood enough! First of all, the value for what you get is unparalleled! I priced out numerous similar venues in the area and others charge 1.5-2x the price. The venue and ceremony locations are beautiful. Angela, the wedding coordinator, was a pleasure to work with- from signing the paperwork to the day of execution. The day itself went very smoothly (which is saying a lot, considering it rained!). Angela and her team covered every detail. We had plenty to eat due to Angela setting us up with our own appetizers, then plates as soon as dinner was served, and even extra dinners to go for us to enjoy later that night! The food was absolutely delicious- we've heard from so many of our guests that they enjoyed the passed apps (coconut shrimp, pork potstickers, mini crab cakes, and mini chicken wellingtons) and the main courses (chicken marsala, roast beef, salad, soup, sides). Angela went above and beyond- even helping me bustle my dress and tie it up when I was starting to overheat! The Wellwood also has beautiful, modern cottage right next door that we were able to get ready in the day before. There's a set of 2 pocket doors that allow you to divide the cottage in half (with an entrance on each side) so that my husband and I were able to get ready on separate sides and not see each other. Getting ready so close to the venue and being able to stay there that night made our wedding day that much easier. Definitely consider (and choose!) the Wellwood.

Sent on 09/23/2018

Ashley · Married on 08/23/2009

On August 23rd, 2009 we held our very small wedding reception in the President's room at the Wellwood. We decided on a cocktail-style dinner, and came up with a menu that included many dishes, and the different times they would be brought out. The staff did everything we had arranged for, and were very attentive to our guests. Not only that, but it was the best food we have ever eaten! All of our guests gave us many compliments on the food, and the room. I worked with Angela on our event, and afterwards I told her I would recommend the Wellwood to any and everyone. If you are having your wedding near North East, I would definitely suggest this venue!

Sent on 09/07/2009

Joanne W. · Married on 07/17/2020

Great Experience

This venue was awesome working with my daughter and son in law planning their wedding, especially during the pandemic. The food was delicious, and the staff was great!

Sent on 08/13/2020

Deanna J. · Married on 09/28/2019

September 28, 2019

Angela was amazing to work with from beginning to end. When we first booked The Wellwood, we were living in North Carolina but our family was here in Elkton, MD. She was great with communication and working with my parents in place of my husband and I because we were out of state. She responded to emails quickly and towards the wedding date, meet with us to finalize everything. The were accommodating and she was able to send me recommendations for a florist. We had the best time and received many compliments about the venue and the party afterwards. Great food and service too!!!

Sent on 10/23/2019

Caitlin · Married on 06/01/2017

We loved the wellwood!!! Perfect venue! Beautiful scenery by the Chesapeake bay for our ceremony. The reception was absolutely gorgeous & everything I envisioned. The coordinator, Angela was fabulous. She makes planning a wedding that much easier.

Sent on 06/26/2017

Nicole · Married on 08/27/2016

We absolutely loved The Wellwood and their amazing staff. Angela was great to work with, she really took the time walking us through the process and customizing the day to our personalities. Angela was so knowledgeable on everything from suggestions on vendors, best time of day for pictures, to filing for a marriage license. The wedding day itself was pure perfection ,the guests could not stop raving about how accommodating and polite the staff was, how amazing the food tasted, and how beautiful the whole thing was laid out. The Wellwood really is a hidden jem in Charlestown MD and we are beyond grateful we had the opportunity to share such a memorable day with our family and friends here.

Sent on 10/16/2016

Jennifer · Married on 06/08/2013

My wife and I just got married at The Wellwood Club and it was the most incredible experience ever. Besides watching the radar all week and hoping Tropical Storm Andrea would let us have clear skies for the outside venue everything else was awesome and went off with out a hitch. Angela was awesome in planning and orchestrating everything. The outside venue was ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! With the water in the background and the beautiful boats floating around behind the alter just made it so picturesque. Inside where the reception was incredibly beautiful as well. Angela and her excellent staff did a perfect job coordinating and setting up the inside of the tent with our selected colors and all our decorations we had planned and set up. Angela and her staff were incredibly friendly and a pleasure to work with. The Wellwood Club was absolutely perfect and we, along with our guests, could not stop raving about the food. We had crabcakes, seafood newberg, roast beef, chicken satay, and jumbo coconut shrimp. IT WAS ALL INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS!

THANK YOU SO MUCH ANGELA FOR MAKING OUR NIGHT SO AWESOME!
    Perry and Jenn

Sent on 06/09/2013

3.5

Everything, I mean everything was taken care of. They were so organized, everything ran perfectly. Angela, the event coordinator was hard to get a hold of by email, and I'm more comfortable with having record of everything, but that was solved by emailing her then calling her and letting her know I wanted some questions answered in writing and she had an email from me. Over all these guys were great. Everyone raved about the food, how smooth everything ran, and how beautiful it was there. Angela took care of everything, set up all my decorations, perfect! I couldn't say enough good about this place!

Sent on 03/01/2013
  • jola.d.wedding

Laurie · Married on 10/13/2012

3.0

A wonderful place to get married and if the weather is good, the waterfront ceremony was awesome, my pictures came out with a beautiful background

Sent on 10/24/2012

Brittany · Married on 05/12/2012

3.0

The Wellwood was everything we dreamed of for our wedding day! Angela was the main point of contact at The Wellwood for the wedding. Overall, I would say she did a good job, however if you want to get answers in a timely matter she was not the person to do that. It is very stressful planning a wedding and I would have liked to have her respond to my e-mail in a timely matter. There were times that I had to send the same e-mail 3 times before she would get around to responding. I found it better to call her on items. She would call back within 24 hours, but with some of the items I wanted to have it in writing so that became a issue. She was very responsive about a week before the wedding date but before that I was getting frustrated on her response time. The staff at the Wellwood that day of the wedding was amazing, the food was great as well as the drinks. They were very flexible with all the requests we made. We also rented the ceremony site on the water point and that turned out very nice. Overall, I would recommend The Wellwood to friends or family. Its a great restaurant too! We will be returning for a good meal!

Sent on 06/14/2012

Casey · Married on 08/21/2010

3.8
      3.0

We had decided on an outside wedding and chose The Wellwood right away. I wish I would of know all the right questions to ask at that time. I was very disappointed when Angela told me that the bridal room wasn't in thier budget to get fixed up this year. I was torn with that and had to ask my cousin if we could do it at her house instead. The food was wonderful!!! Everytime I called to speak with Angela she was rarely avalible. I would have to leave messages with the girl who answered the phone and she seemed to not even want to take the messages. I would recommend The Wellwood to other brides & grooms but I would tell them to be patient and to make sure they ask ALL the questions up front.

Sent on 09/12/2010

Erin · Married on 07/08/2011

3.6
      3.5
      2.0

We had a mixed experience with the Wellwood and specifically Angela, the wedding coordinator. All of our interactions with Angela prior to the wedding date were very positive and she was willing to answer our questions and put in place the requests we made for the day of the wedding. We had originally chosen to have our ceremony outside along the point, but the day of the wedding it rained so we had to make a last minute decision to pull everything inside. The day of the wedding is when we ran into a lot of problems with Angela being very unwilling to make changes and not flexible.

My husband's bestman stepped up and requested that certain changes to made to bring the arch inside and to set up the chairs in rows instead of having guests sit at tables. Angela very quickly said no to this and that it couldn't be done. Our bestman, thankfully, decided that this wasn't an unreasonable request, so he and the rest of the groomsmen moved the arch and chairs themselves with the help of the Wellwood's staff who was extremely helpful. Angela was the only one was unwilling to make changes. Since it was raining, they had me and my bridesmaids wait in the restaurant until the ceremony area was ready. While we were waiting, Angela came up to me and presented me with problems regarding the amount of time we had for the reception as well as other small details. I found out afterwards that my maid of honor had told her that any further questions needed to be directed to the best man or herself, not to me, and yet she came back with another question 20 minutes before we getting married because she didn't like the answers she was getting from them.

Overall, the staff at the Wellwood was beyond amazing and accommodating, and Angela up until the day of was wonderful herself. We feel that if no changes had been needed due to the weather, we most likely wouldn't have had any problems with her. We're just very thankful that we had an amazing group of friends in our wedding who were willing to go the extra mile to make the day perfect for us because without them our wedding would not have been as enjoyable due to the added stress and problems that we encountered.

Sent on 07/12/2011