Hei La Moon Restaurant

3 Reviews for Hei La Moon Restaurant

gloria · Married on 04/25/2015

3.4
      3.5

We had a wedding reception of 160 people at Hei La Moon. The value was there, but it was difficult to communicate with the restaurant, if you do not speak fluent Mandarin (I speak Cantonese). They switched a menu item, without asking me, and half the room did not get the red bean soup. The crab and corn soup was gelatinous. They also charged .50 a wine glass, and $2 for a can of diet coke. They do not offer coffee either, so we had to bring in our own. We were in the downstairs area and they seated a tour group on the other side of the room, poorly partitioned by screens. The Chinese tourists keep coming over and taking pictures!

That said, it was extremely affordable, they allow us to bring in our own beer and wine (with a $10 a case corkage fee) and lots of the food was delicious (lobster, noodles, chicken, duck, suckling pig). They were flexible about bringing in a coffee cart, dessert and ice cream.

Sent on 05/07/2015

Mimi · Married on 05/15/2010

2.8
      3.0

I chose Hei La Moon mostly for it's location and the fact that it had a garage right on top for my guests. The venue was ok but the food service was VERY SLOW. The food was delicious but it would have been better if the food didn't take forever to come out and once it started coming out if it actually came out in a timely fashion. I just felt like my guests were waiting too long for the food and the food is usually the best part of a wedding (especially a Chinese wedding/banquet).

Sent on 07/05/2012

Karen · Married on 09/25/2010

2.4
      1.0

Hei La Moon was a big disappointment for me. My husband and I were looking for a place that would serve a Chinese wedding banquet. In downtown Boston, there are pretty much three options: Hei La Moon, China Pearl, and Emperor's Garden. We checked out all three and Hei La Moon seemed like the cleanest, most professional, and the only place that was thinking 10 months in advance. (The other two places told us to come back in 3-4 months, which was unthinkable to us because we wanted to send out save-the-dates early.) We put down a $500 deposit for Hei La Moon and didn't revisit them until 6 months later.

First off, you probably should not book this place unless your Mandarin or Cantonese is very good. Their manager and event coordinator only speak Mandarin/Cantonese and don't make much of an effort to take you seriously if you try to speak in Chinglish. My husband and I are both American-Born Chinese, so we understand Chinese but it's difficult for us to speak it. Luckily, my husband's mother came in town to negotiate for us and we were able to get some details that we didn't know at the time of booking (i.e. champagne glass and wine glass rentals cost 50 cents each, tablecloth color choices are red, pink or white, etc).

We were able to get some individual vegetarian dishes for some guests for no charge, but the portions were so tiny. One of our guests ended up asking for seconds and the wait staff asked my husband and me what to do - I told him to feed the guests! That's what they were paid to do.

The most annoying part of our Hei La Moon experience was that they booked three weddings for the same night and our wedding reception was on the same floor as another (there are two floors to Hei La Moon). The other reception sharing the same floor as ours started off with 300 people at the time that we booked ours and ballooned to 400 people for the actual reception. The waitstaff crammed our 17 tables into a space that should only be meant for 12 tables. It was very crowded and I felt really bad for the guests who were stuck in the corner and who couldn't get out unless 6 other people moved first, or got stuck behind a column so they couldn't see anything that was happening up on the stage. The part that bugged me the most was that the other wedding reception had plenty of space between the tables. I just felt it was very unfair, to give them better treatment just because they had more people (i.e. bringing them more business).

A week before the wedding my husband and I went to talk to the manager to confirm final details and headcount, and managed to nail down the details even with our Chinglish. There are a few managers at Hei La Moon and some of them make more of an attempt than others to understand broken Chinese.

The food itself was delicious, there are various set menus to choose from depending on how fancy you get, but it ranges from $400-$650 per table of 10. Everyone got plenty to eat and there were tons of leftovers. The waitstaff packed some food up for my husband and me because we didn't get to eat very much on our wedding day.

Some other details: we were able to bring in our own alcohol including wine, beer, hard liquor and champagne (we also provided plastic cups for the wine and mixed drinks), we brought our own DJ with speakers and DJ equipment, Hei La Moon set up a nice changing area for me which included a giant mirror which was nice, small dance floor which was plenty of space for our dance party.

All in all, a good value, delicious food, ok service, a pain to deal with if you aren't fluent in Chinese.

Sent on 10/17/2010

• 88 Beach St Boston, 02111 See on map
    Location of (Hei La Moon Restaurant)