Desert Botanical Garden

Professionalism
Value
Flexibility
Recently Married

We cannot begin to say enough incredible things about my experience working with DBG for our wedding which took place on April 18, 2015. The staff was so helpful and accommodating. We could not possibly have felt more peace of mind knowing our wedding would be in such a beautiful setting. They have a selection of professional caterers. They have their own liquor license. The margaritas are top notch.

Recently Married

Just a wonderful venue, and very professional, too. We thought it was great that all wedding guests get a free day pass to the Gardens for the day of the wedding.

The only thing that threw a wrench into our plans was that you're restricted to their list of approved caterers, and you can't bring in any homemade foods. But if that's not an issue, then this is really a great venue if you want a classy outdoor wedding.

2.5

This venue was truly the only place I ever considered. I visited many but had my heart set on the DBG. Unfortunately, the only positives about choosing this venue was the atmosphere of the beautiful garden scenery and the bar manager. We were passed from one coordinator to another then to another for the day of. I never felt as though they checked in with me or provided any assistance I didn't have to ask for. Not only was communication mediocre, they are pretty inflexible with clients. One of the worst experiences was the fact that they double booked our venue during our time to rehearse which meant we were trying to figure out positioning and run through the ceremony motions while a party was being set up in the exact places we needed to be open and available. Not only did we spend 45min in 95 degree direct sun dodging caterers and furniture being moved but the coordinator wasn't there to help us at all and we ended up having to ask the other company to please hold off on setting up early in the area we specifically needed to stand in to decide where everyone needed to be positioned. Then the company that was there setting up was not afraid to complain loudly and rudely about us being there and in their way. This was SO FRUSTRATING. Also, when we arrived the next morning my family and my hired help had to move all the furniture from the night before that was supposed to be gone just so we could set up our own. The few people from the garden that showed up then continued to argue and be rude to my family about where things needed to be, etc. The venue was not swept or anything so of course the concrete was covered in dirt and debris which cause my gown to be filthy by the time I got to the altar. Overall, this venue was very difficult to deal with and did not have great customer service.

4.2

It took several phone calls and emails before I was able to get a hold of someone to find out availability. Once I got in direct contact with Amber, the responsiveness was better. Close to my wedding date Nicole took over. I had a very strange email correspondence with Nicole in the days leading up to the wedding over the fact the we hadn't planned a walk-through or rehearsal. She wrote some threatening sounding emails, implying that we absolutely had to do a rehearsal with our full wedding party, musician, officiant, and caterer, or she wouldn't be able to "send me down the aisle". We did end up meeting with her before the wedding, and she was much nicer in person. Everything went just fine on the wedding day - don't think there was any reason we needed a rehearsal.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

It was a dream come true to have our Special Day at the Desert Botanical Garden. When Chris and I visited the Garden together for the first time, I knew that it was the perfect venue for our wedding. When we finally got engaged and started planning for the big day, Desert Botanical was the only venue on our lists. What a pleasure to work with Amber Hahn, she was calm, accommodating, and very professional. All our many questions were answered quickly!

The day of the wedding was unforgettable. The weather was perfect for an outside wedding. The ceremony and reception was held at the Ullman Terrace. Our family and friends were impressed at how beautiful the Garden was. They said everything was perfect! The Garden Butte was stunning background for the ceremony and the saguaros on the butte was lit at night, what an unbelievable site! Thank you so much DBG and Amber Hahn! We highly recommend this venue!

Kahneena
10/11/2014

I knew that my wedding would be at the DBG when I visited during a December Luminaria event. It was so beautiful and there was such a sense of magic and romance. I know that sounds cheesy, but after living here for 4 years, it's the most beautiful place in Phoenix as far as I'm concerned. We worked with Amber, who actually does a lot more coordinating and goes far above and beyond for you. She helped make the wedding go perfect and smooth. We rented Dorrance Hall and it was so beautiful and perfect for our event. I've heard from so many of our guests that it was the best wedding they'd ever been to. When you have an event at the Garden, you are required to use their preferred vendors. At first I thought that might be limiting, but I came to appreciate it almost immediately, when you plan your own wedding you have an almost endless amount of choices and the Garden has done all your hard work for you by giving you the best options for vendors possible. We used Copper Square Kitchen to cater and I can't say enough about how wonderful the experience was. Amber from the Garden and Darcy from Copper Square are really the reason we had such a beautiful and perfect wedding. It was truly the best day of my life, in my favorite place in Phoenix. We also became members of the Garden, it's just one of those places that never gets old and our experience was so perfect that I knew we would want to be there as much as we can. Thank you Amber!!!!!!

Brandy
06/23/2014

We eloped at DBG and it was fantastic! The grounds are beautiful and the staff was very accommodating!

1+ year ago

The Garden is a beautiful place to get married! We had both ceremony and reception there. Our pictures were gorgeous with beautiful backdrops. The signange directing our guests could have been more prominent, and the "dressing room" facilities aren't exactly posh, but otherwise it was a great experience!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I can't begin to say enough nice things about this venue. My husband and I got married at the Dorrance Center in the Botanical Garden and it was absolutely beautiful. We were on a tight budget and found the Garden was extremely affordable. There were 3 different spaces included in the price. We had an outdoor patio for the ceremony, a slightly smaller patio for the cocktail hour, and a banquet hall for the reception.

The staff at the Garden were amazing. Thank you Amber Hahn for being so flexible and responsive to my thousands of questions! I really appreciated the way that she helped us with our rehearsal and was there for the start of our wedding to make sure everything went off without a hitch.

I would definitely recommend this venue to all of my friends. My husband and I received tons of complements on how beautiful it was. They even allowed our guests to arrive anytime during the day for free to enjoy the garden, which at the time had the Chihuly exhibit.

1+ year ago

Beautiful spot! A little tuff for rooms to wait before the ceremony.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I don't really know where to start! First off, the garden is STUNNING and UNIQUE. Our guests couldn't stop saying great things about how beautiful our venue was(Ullman Terrace). Everyone we talked to said it was the most beautiful venue they had seen. Our two contacts were Amber H. and Marianne D. They were both VERY quick to respond to all of our inquiries and professional in their interaction with us and our vendors. Between the business of planning a destination wedding, we sent Marianne our beverage list a little later than what we wanted to. She was SUCH a trooper though and ordered all the drinks we wanted and had everything the next day!
Since this is a public venue, we knew to expect random people walking around the outside of our venue. It really wasn't too big of an issue. The only thing I wished, was they put a "private party" sign in a better location or had the means to COMPLETELY block off our venue with some type of barracade. We had a couple random people who didn't see or pay attention to the "private party" sign that walked into our wedding. Once they saw they didn't belong, however, they turned around and walked away. This is also where our wedding coordinator came in handy. She helped to guide people out of our venue.
I would highly recommend hiring a wedding coordinator for this venue. Amber was very straight forward with me and recommended this as well. Although a coordinator is in the package, she said it wasn't a guarantee that we would have her full attention. She was right. I am so glad she recommended this from the very beginning. We really valued that honesty!!!
All in all, this venue is SO PERFECT!!!!!!! Everything was such a dream! Thank you DBG!!!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Amber and the staff at the Desert Botanical Garden did an amazing job for our wedding! This was the first vendor we booked, as my wife wanted beautiful wedding pictures and they did not disappoint. From touring the grounds to our walkthrough and rehearsal, Amber was wonderful in assisting us to envision what we wanted and she worked tirelessly to make it happen. Having the staff as day-of coordinators was fantastic. We were running a little late, but there was no apparent frustration from any of the staff. They even made sure to act as lookouts so there was not an accidental Bride or Groom spotting before the ceremony. There were several events going on the same day as ours, but the only way I knew was the smattering of limos in the (very spacious) parking lot. One thing that may cause hesitation for those considering the garden is the Chihuly exhibit (which runs from November through mid-May) as the glass pieces may detract from the desert landscape. This cannot be further from the truth! In many cases, his items enhance the natural beauty of the scenery. It is also neat to have wedding photos with items created by a world-renowned artist in them!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My husband and I had both our ceremony and reception at Ullman Terrace at the Desert Botanical Garden. It was a gorgeous venue and the day could not have been more perfect. Our guests were enchanted by the garden, especially after the sunset when the twinkly lights on the trees came on. Amber and her staff were professional from start to finish and all my questions were promptly answered. Amber was very organized and helpful on both the day of the wedding and at our rehearsal. The fee for Ullman Terrace is on the more expensive side, but well worth the money in my opinion.
A couple things to consider:
Because of their liquor license, outside alcohol is not allowed, which definitely adds to the cost of the reception. Also, they have a list of about 8-10 caterers to pick from, so you won't have a ton of flexibility when it comes to catering. That might be a good thing though as our caterer was very familiar with the venue and it was nice to have the choices narrowed down to caterers we knew would do a good job. Overall, I highly recommend this venue.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

If you are looking to have a beautiful outdoors wedding, have your wedding at Desert Botanical Garden. We had both the ceremony and reception in the Steele Herb Garden on April 5. I could not imagine a more perfect day for us. Amber and the rest of the DBG staff were professional, quick to respond, and extremely helpful. Amber even helped save the day when my florist arrived over an hour and a half early and we hadn't gotten there yet. She coordinated everything flawlessly the day of the wedding, which allowed me to relax and have fun.

1+ year ago

I had the most amazing wedding at the Dorrance Center inside of the botanical garden. It was absolutely perfect for my 100 guests. Amber and Mariane were amazing to work with. Ambers effective and fast communication skills were flawless. I really wouldn't change a thing.

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Beautiful ceremony location. We were married under the Binns Wildflower Pavilion. It was beautiful on its own which is why I chose this venue in the beginning. The surroundings are beautiful on their own so no need to bring too many additional ceremony decor. The staff was wonderful to work with and the coordinator on site was quick to respond to my emails and was there for assistance during today of the wedding. Our guests loved the garden and couldn't stop commenting on how beautiful it was.