Caitlin R.
Devoted September 2013

What do you plan to do with your dress after?

Caitlin R., on September 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM Posted in Planning 0 34
Saved Save

I've been thinking about this lately, and the thread earlier about rocking/trashing the dress got me thinking again.

What are you doing with your dress after the wedding? My husband and I already live in an apt with limited storage space so I don't know if I have room to keep it anyway. If you're getting it preserved and keeping it, is it going under the bed or in the attic for the next 50 years???

Love to hear thoughts on this!

34 Comments

• Mrs. Shanon V
    Master May 2014
    Mrs. Shanon V ·
    • Flag

I'm going to sell it. It can be a part of someone else's Happily Ever After. I'm going to keep the veil though Smiley smile

• T-Rex
    Master August 2013
    T-Rex ·
    • Flag

Don't know. Maybe take the material and make a christening gown for our first kid.

• K & A
    Super October 2013
    K & A ·
    • Flag

I'm having mine cleaned and preserved. I definitely have hopes that one of our kids might want it one day (is love for a dress an inheritable trait??! LOL)

• Mrs. Soon2be Garcia
    Expert October 2015
    Mrs. Soon2be Garcia ·
    • Flag

I'm putting mine in a Hugh Jersey shadow box and hanging in on my wall in my bed room. I have 3 boys and I know they won't want to wear it and I don't see my future daughter in-laws wanting to wear it either so after I'm done and tired of the decor on the wall for a while I may sell it too.

• Caitlin R.
    Devoted September 2013
    Caitlin R. ·
    • Flag

@Shanon - that's what I thought about doing too. One of my BMs touched her bouquet to my back and got pollen on my dress though, lol. It looks like someone was eating cheetos and rubbed their fingers on my back. I'm sure it can probably be cleaned professionally but what a bummer. At least it wasn't red wine I guess!

@Erica - I didn't even think about tearing it apart to use the fabric for something else, what a great idea! Mine had a beautiful lace overlay I'm sure I could use for something!

@K & A - I thought about that too, but then thought I wouldn't have worn my Mom's dress if she'd kept it for me so I can't expect my children to want to wear mine. Finding my dress was a great experience for me and I'd want them to experience that too!

• F
    VIP May 2014
    FutureMrs.Combs ·
    • Flag

I'm preserving mine and keeping it. I can't bear parting with it right away. I may sell it eventually just not right now.

• OhHeyItsIna
    Master November 2014
    OhHeyItsIna ·
    • Flag

I'm keeping mine as well. I can't bear the thought of getting rid of it.

• Denise
    VIP May 2014
    Denise ·
    • Flag

I'd like to have it made into a cocktail dress if possible or maybe donate it to charity.

• Jules
    Master January 2014
    Jules ·
    • Flag

I plan on donating mine to either Brides Across America or Brides Against Breast cancer.

• ItsGoodToBeKing
    Master February 2014
    ItsGoodToBeKing ·
    • Flag

My ceremony dress is a family heirloom so that will be packed away.

the reception dress is a custom ordered piece so maybe sell it OR trash it at the reception/later that night at the resort

• Kim
    Master June 2014
    Kim ·
    • Flag

I saw on pinterest, this chick had a FABULOUS walk in closet and she had it hanging in a shadow box on the wall above a fancy couch. *sigh* realistically, for me, it will be shoved in the back of a spare bedroom closet.

• FutureMrsL
    Master July 2014
    FutureMrsL ·
    • Flag

Will keep mine. I can't imagine parting with it! Lol maybe then I can play dress up every once in awhile. Smiley smile

• Kel
    Dedicated April 2015
    Kel ·
    • Flag

My best friends dress was Greek goddes like, she had it altered and now wears it as a formal dress. She has worn it a few times to a ball and to a couple really fancy dinners. I think it's awesome she used it more than once and the alterations cost her like 40 bucks. Pretty sweet. My mom kept hers in the attict until I was 15, it had rotted and changed color so she threw it out. I cried but I am also 6 inches taller and 60 ilbs heavier than her, so its not like I'd wear it.

• Caitlin R.
    Devoted September 2013
    Caitlin R. ·
    • Flag

@Amy - that's the problem I'm having. And I need to get it cleaned, so I have to figure it out now!

Lots of great ideas ladies, thank you so much. It sure helps to be thinking in so many different directions!

• Christina
    VIP March 2014
    Christina ·
    • Flag

I'm thinking of using it for a baby blanket or something else forthe baby. I had never thought about the cocktail dress idea, I really love that idea, too.

• mscountry
    Master July 2014
    mscountry ·
    • Flag

I am keeping my ceremony dress and if i ever get a reception dress i will probably keep it too.

• Mrs. A. Fernandez
    Master August 2014
    Mrs. A. Fernandez ·
    • Flag

I'm not sure. I may pass it down to one of my little cousins, who are in their 20's. Or, I may sell it.

• P
    VIP July 2014
    pittielvr ·
    • Flag

Im either going to sell it or donate it.

• May
    VIP October 2013
    May ·
    • Flag

I don't know. Those boxes for gown preservation just look so weird. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the BM dress I wore for my brother's wedding---still hanging in the guest bedroom waiting to be taken to the cleaners.

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

I gave my first wedding dress to my sister for her wedding. I sold my second one on PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com. My daughter is a different size, shape, and taste from me, so there is no way she would have worn either of them for her wedding.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics