Heather
Savvy October 2020

So Im plus size !!! wedding dress shopping !

Heather, on November 11, 2019 at 9:56 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 3 107
Saved Save

So IM starting to prepare to go wedding dress shopping this weekend! I have looked up dresses and tried not to fall in loves with any of them. I have started to loose weight and trying to build myself up after some horrible trips to try on dresses.

So I plan to wear new undies and do my hair and makeup so I feel good.

Does anyone have Any other tips ?

Also I really love the fitted gowns and even the fitted gowns on the plus size models.... but im scared to try them on ( Im going with my fiancé family). Does any curvy full figured women have pictures of them in a fitted I think it might help if I saw a real plus sized women in a fitted dress. I tried looking at other forums and couldn't find one.

107 Comments

• Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I was a curvier bride but I didn't go the fitted route. I had planned to try one on, but picked my dress before I did. I hope you find the dress of your dreams! I would suggest going to the David's Bridal site, clicking on Plus sized dresses. The models are plus sized and that really helped me

• Kendra
    Dedicated November 2019
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    Don’t forget spanx. They made me feel more confident when I went and tried dresses.
  • Heather
    Savvy October 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag

I did and most of the dresses I saw that were fitted were on the plus size models!! but idk if im that kind of plus sized lol.

• Rebecca
    Devoted June 2020
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag
    If possible, wear a strapless bra! They’ll be able to clip dresses to it if they don’t quite fit and I was so happy I wore one! I lost a bunch of weight (about 140 pounds) about 5 years ago and did a great job of keeping it off. That being said, I wasn’t comfortable in anything fitted because losing all the weight left me pretty self conscious about certain parts of my body (yay for loose-ish skin). I tried a couple of fitted dresses on and wouldn’t come out of the dressing room. I did feel incredible in just about every A-line and ball gown I put on though! Definitely keep an open mind!
  • Heather
    Savvy October 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Are we talking like up high spanx ? I was thinking of wearing the kind that go up to your bra line but wasn't sure if it would be weird if it was showing in some of the dresses I was wearing?

• Kendra
    Dedicated November 2019
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Mine are just thigh and tummy control. I didn’t want the over the shoulder type because I was worried about it showing in strapless or illusion styled dresses. They also helped in feeling confident in dresses that were smaller sized.
  • Heather
    Savvy October 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OH MY .... I didn't even think about that .. I will have to start looking for one ASAP ! GOOD idea and I think im just obessed with how the trains look on fitted mermaid style dresses they are beautiful . But I have looked at some ball gowns and A-lines on DB's. Also congrats on the Weight loss .

• Priscilla
    Dedicated April 2020
    Priscilla ·
    • Flag
    Plus size bride...i usually wear a size 12 in clothes but my dress was a 16w....it is what it is 🤣

So Im plus size !!! wedding dress shopping ! 1

So Im plus size !!! wedding dress shopping ! 2
  • Heather
    Savvy October 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ok I will take a look at some of the stores tomorrow for some! I have only ever worn the kind that goes to the bra line. Do you guys suggest white or nude?

• Heather
    Savvy October 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

OMG See the trains!!!! you look fabulous !!!

• Kathryn
    Devoted April 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    Plus size bride here! Call ahead and make sure the salon you're going to has plus sized samples for you to try on. Also try to keep in mind that the dress isn't fitting you, not the other way around! It's like any other kind of clothing: some things look good on some people and on others it looks weird. I've seen real brides wearing a ballgown I thought I was going to love, but on me the neckline was just bizarre instead of flattering. Just remember that your future spouse thinks you're pretty as you are - my FH tells me every day that I could go down the aisle in a trash bag and he would probably still think I was the most gorgeous thing he's ever seen.
  • Kathryn
    Devoted April 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    Also since you're looking for real brides, here's my drop waist ballgown that makes my waist look TINY. The train is stunning too.

So Im plus size !!! wedding dress shopping ! 3

So Im plus size !!! wedding dress shopping ! 4
  • Heather
    Savvy October 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you I will call ahead I know they have a few in my size . I called a month ago and the train is awesome. !!!! I will keep that in mind!!!

• Carnysha
    Savvy July 2020
    Carnysha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Beautiful! Where did you find this?
  • Sharon
    Beginner February 2020
    Sharon ·
    • Flag
    Hi Heather, do they have plus size specific shops near you? I found my dress at one in Ca and it was amazing. I could try on anything they had without worrying about the size.

Also, I don't know how much money you should invest in undergarments before you know what your dress looks like. Ask the salon if they have ones you can use.

Last piece of advice, do not worry about the size number! I was wearing a size 22 pants and ended up ordering a size 30 dress.

Attached a picture even though it isn't fitted :-)

So Im plus size !!! wedding dress shopping ! 5
  • Amber
    Super September 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    Wear spanx and try a dress with a built-in corset that's what my wedding dress has and its an amazing. Also try on every dress and really let your bridal consultant know what you do like amd what you don't about each dress you try on.
  • L
    Dedicated May 2020
    Leslie ·
    • Flag
    I’m a plus size bra (and in WW) and when I bought my dress I was about a size 20 (bought 24 because dress sizes in bridal are smaller). I tried on different style and I was surprised how good I looked in some including mermaid type. I thought for sure I’d buy an empire waist version but I bought more of a drop waist. The dress I bought was about 5-6 sizes too small than the picture. I tended to like the Vnecks. Most salons I went to had bras that were strapless and long lined. In Chicago and Indianapolis there is a salon for plus size: Brides by Young. I prefer smaller boutiques than larger salons.
  • Heather
    Savvy October 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag

Ok I just purchased a strapless bra !!!! and got spanx ! Im feeling more ready! And the closet bridal store is 2 hours away! I live in the BFE. So davids bridal and 1 other shop are the best bets! BTW I love the antique feeling of this dress the train is amazing.

• T
    Beginner June 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Is this at Strut? I bought mine there too! In fact I think I tried yours on at my sister’s request. It was such a relief to be able to try on everything in size. I’m a 16 street and bought my dress size 20.
  • T
    Beginner June 2020
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag
    Also OP, this is me in my plus size fitted dress. I absolutely love it.

Comment on this discussion