M
Beginner August 2013

Rainbow Wedding Colors-help choosing

Michele, on November 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM Posted in Style and Décor 0 16
Saved Save

Hello Fellow Brides-to-be!

I was hoping you could help me. Smiley smile I'm getting married in August 2013. Our main colors for our wedding are black and white, but our wedding party will each be in a different color (but same dress for the girls). I made sure to find a classy dress as I have seen rainbow weddings look a hot mess, & am making sure mine will not look like that. Anyways, the girls LOVE the dress & I told them to list from favorite to least the colors they'd want to wear. Everyone has a different color. Here's the problem: for the most part everyone's top choice was different. But some girls want the same color. How do I pick? Should I just put those that want the same color in a hat and pick? The problem with that is if someone doesn't get their 1st choice, their top choices have already been picked by the other girls so they may end up with say their 9th choice (I have 11 girls, I know it's a lot). What should I do? I really don't wanna put everyone in a hat and pick. Suggestions

16 Comments

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·
    • Flag

Do different shades of the same color?

and honestly, with 11 girls, I would just pick 4 colors and have some of them in the same exact color or shades of the same colors.

out of curiosity, what are the 11 colors you are looking at?

link to the dress?

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

No, everyone is in a different color. Plus there are 11 girls. I can't do say 11 shades of red, or any color for that matter. (and just in case people are wondering the colors are red, orange, pink, yellow, blue, purple, silver, gold, brown, black, green). Classy, normal colors, nothing pastel/neon/crazy.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

No, everyone is in a different color. Plus there are 11 girls. I can't do say 11 shades of red, or any color for that matter. (and just in case people are wondering the colors are red, orange, pink, yellow, blue, purple, silver, gold, brown, black, green). Classy, normal colors, nothing pastel/neon/crazy.

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·
    • Flag

Your vision. I don't want to mess with it, maybe silver and gray instead of black?

but I would suggest considering the shades....

the colors that "no one wants" is it near the top of the list for anyone?

I would see if there is any way to give everyone a dress out of their top 3 (don't give everyone their top 1 if that means someone will end up with choice #9)

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·
    • Flag

Another idea.... are you concerned about Heights????

If you want a step look (getting shorter or taller as you go down the line) I would just have the MOH first in line, and then go by height down the line. The girls would just be stuck with what ever color dress they fall in line with.

(still think shades would look pretty - silver/gray/gold/brown/taupe are all neutrals, so you would only have 2 or 3 colors)

Neutrals, blue, purples, pinks

or

Neutrals, purples, pinks

***I could do another combo if you want to see more shades (I saved 26 colors of dresses)

• C
    Super January 2012
    Charlotte ·
    • Flag

See if you want your girls in all different colors and asked them to list their choice of color from favourite to least.......And as you said that most of them have different color as their favourite....So just allowed them to wear that color dress......

And for few who wants the same color as others try to ask them that if they are ready they can pick their second favourite color....or the third favourite color......

I mean this is why you asked to list their favourite color from favourite to least so that if someone else also picked up the same color as her favourite you can ask them to pick the second favourite color......

• L
    Devoted April 2012
    Lesli ·
    • Flag

I would say that if two girls have the same color picked as their favorite and you're trying to decide which of them gets that color, rather than choosing randomly, go with whichever one will look best in that color. You can tell them you chose randomly if you want, but their feelings shouldn't be hurt either way.

Just be excited about it... "I know you really like yellow, but I thought that the green would really bring out your gorgeous hazel eyes, so that's what I put you in," for example. You don't have to apologize or be worried about it. If everyone put black on the absolute bottom of their lists, then maybe switch out the black for another color, etc.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

Hayley: That's so funny you posted that pic cause that is the dress I chose! I thought it was beautiful & classy & the girls loved it! (Hope you guys think so, too LOL). The top line is all my colors except I used a dark green (Holly) as opposed to the Kelly green & a dark pink (watermelon) as opposed to the lighter pink & a darker purple & black instead of gray. How did you make that? I love seeing it all together. I was going to go to the store before to see the colors in person before deciding that those were definitely the ones cause sometimes it looks different online as opposed to real life. For the most part not one color was liked the least by everyone and those that were a more popular "no" color (if that makes sense) some girls chose as their top pick so that worked out.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

Heights don't bother me cause everyone is for the most part pretty close height wise. I was going to have them walk down by color so pictures don't have them be in a crazy rainbow fashion. My MOH wants red & no one else does so she'll be last & we'll go backwards through the rainbow. It's just 2 girls want pink & 3 want black.

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·
    • Flag

The only thing is that you might be able to line up all the COLORS but they won't be the same dress. David's only has a few colors of each dress in the store.

I took screen shots of the dress (26 different dresses) and opened them in a .doc

Lined the girls up, and took another screen shot.

I only suggested no black because then the men would be the only black.

Well, then I go back to my 2 original ideas.... try to give some people their #2 or #3 choice so that no one is stuck with their #9 pick. OR just line the girls up by height, and they get the color they are standing at.

BRB - I'll fix the pink and green

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·
    • Flag

I was typing while you were typing....

maybe 2 shades of pink?

good luck

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

Charlotte: The only problem with giving the girls their 2nd or 3rd choice is that it would already be picked from the girls who made that color their 1st choice. So while say 8 of the girls got their 1st choice, the other 3 who choose a duplicate color would get their 9th cause their choices before that got chosen. Smiley sad

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·
    • Flag

So, if 3 want black and 2 want pink.... what 3 colors are not on the #1 top list?

If you matched everyone up to their fav, which ones were not claimed?

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

The ones not claimed are gold, silver, and orange (and then black or pink obviously, but they will be). Orange was one girl's (black) third color so I may give her that. Silver was one girl's (pink) third color so that may solve that problem. BUT the other 2 that wanted black have gold as their #9 choice. Both of them. So while everyone gets their 1st or 3 rd choice, she'd have her 9th.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Michele ·
    • Flag

I think I like the purple you put down first (I think it's called Regency) as opposed to my Lapis. And the brown is truffle (dark brown) but seeing this together makes me re-think some shades of a certain color. Obviously again I need to see them all in person, but I love that you did this. Smiley smile

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·
    • Flag

Well, if the orange is someone's 3rd, that isn't too bad.

And maybe just skip the gold and do a 2nd pink, or a charcoal gray?

How about the other black dress girls, maybe you could get one of them into charcoal?

Glad to help

Comment on this discussion