A.Magill.Since.May
Master May 2018

Plain/simple Reception Tables??

A.Magill.Since.May, on April 26, 2018 at 8:05 AM Posted in Style and Décor 0 17
Saved Save
So, I'm thinking my reception tables may be a lot plainer than the set ups most people do on here, and I'm wondering what you would think as a guest... We're doing the 8 person round tables with ivory table cloths and gold organza runners. I'm planning to put a couple of flameless tea lights with these gold sleeves on each table. The centerpieces from the florist will be very simple glass cases with babies breath and some greenery. Then I'm having these wooden table numbers that I plan to paint a deep red (garnet/burgundy is one of our accent colors).

Since I'm doing a buffet, I wasn't planning on having plates or utensils already laid out on the table. I'm not doing menu cards or anything like that. I'm worried that will make the tables look extra empty, especially with how simple/small the decorations are going to be.

Plain/simple Reception Tables?? 1

17 Comments

• A
    Devoted October 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    I think that sounds lovely. There is no need to over complicate the centerpieces. You still want people to be able to talk to one another at the tables. I think you have a good concept with what you have 😁
  • Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·
    • Flag

Simple centerpieces are perfectly fine. It's really easy to get carried away with having a pinterest inspired over the top centerpiece when at the end of the day - the centerpieces are not what people will truly remember.

I would just relax and not worry about it too much. So long as you have good food, good music, and booze your guests won't be worrying about anything covering their table.

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    Thanks! I'm not as much worried about my centerpieces being too simple, as much as the table looking really empty over all. I'm thinking about buying some charger plates like this to have on the tables, but the guests will get different plates at the buffet with their food that they can put on top of these

Plain/simple Reception Tables?? 2
  • Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

One thing you could do that might be helpful and sort of save on money would be to have favors (if you are doing them) already out and placed at everyone's seat when they sit down. I think if you're worried about empty table space than having a charger is a great idea! I've been to weddings, both plated and buffet where there was no plate on the table when I sat down though and never took much notice/felt like the table was empty though! So you should be okay!

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We aren't doing favors, but thanks for the advice. I was definitely looking for the guest's perspective, and I guess I'm worried I won't have the same stunning decor shots... But this is not something I cared about at all until recently, because the wedding is so close I'm nitpicking everything!
    I think I'll save myself the money and stress and just leave it alone lol
  • Alysia
    Devoted September 2018
    Alysia ·
    • Flag
    I 100% never remember what is on the tables at any weddings I've ever been at. I'll likely forget what was on the tables at my own. After dinner, no one spends time at the tables. I think what you have planned is a great idea.

• firstoneat56
    Master August 2017
    firstoneat56 ·
    • Flag
    I think what you’re having is fine. Don’t bother with the chargers. Once everyone gets their food and puts their plate down, it won’t look empty at all.
  • Shayna
    Super August 2018
    Shayna ·
    • Flag
    This is similar to the feel of our wedding set up. We will do an ivory linen, burlap and navy blue lace runner, and a simple floral arrangement of sunflowers. We won’t have plates set up or place cards on our tables.
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

We are having simple centerpieces with greenery and candles.

The best way to tell if you think its too plain is to just do a "mock up" of the table when your stuff arrives. We did one with what we have and we realized we needed one more large center candle. It's so much easier to decide when you can see it for yourself.

I definitely think chargers can look cheap if you don't do the really nice ones so I wouldn't only buy them to fill space. Some times you can rent them. But as a guest I'd prefer a clean and simple table.

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

We rented linen napkins, we are also having a buffet, but we ordered these from Vistaprint and plan to set them at each seat. A friend of ours did something similar and I loved it. The card is the size of a business card so its small and simple and just a little added touch. We bough 100 cards for about $6.Plain/simple Reception Tables?? 3

It also matches the font of our wedding sign, our cookie table sign, and our invitations we plan to order, so knowing everything matches makes me happy, lol.

• Stephanie
    Super March 2018
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

Don't spend extra money on chargers. I don't think people will think much of the empty look when they first come in because the space will be filled as soon as they sit down! Sounds like it'll be beautiful!

• M&M Bride
    Super September 2018
    M&M Bride ·
    • Flag

If you are worried about the tables looking empty, can you have the caterer set out the silverware, napkin, and glass of water at each place setting. The guests will only have to worry about grabbing their plate of food at the buffet, and it's easier for them.

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's a good idea! I'll send her an email asking if she could do that or give me the napkins and silverware at least to do it when I set up the hall the day before.
  • starsinwaves
    VIP November 2018
    starsinwaves ·
    • Flag

They're fine. No one cares about the centerpieces except us. I went to a wedding a few weeks ago where the table cloths were white and the centerpieces were basic small bouquets. They were fine and I only noticed them because I'm wedding planning. The food was good, there was top-shelf liquor, and the DJ kept the dance floor packed all night. That's what people cared about.

I do think it would be weird to not have CPs, and that people would notice. But what you're doing sounds really nice.

• G
    Beginner October 2019
    Gabrielle ·
    • Flag
    Remember it’s what you want. I’m doing a buffet style also , I’m putting the plates and silverware on the tables . So they don’t have to get a plate and forget their silverware and get back up . And hopefully everyone will have their drink before dinner cause of cocktail hour .
  • J
    Super June 2019
    JuneBride ·
    • Flag

I think it will look nice. I want something small too. I want people to be able to see each other will talking. Someone gave me a great suggestion of doing a trial run at the venue to see how it looks.

• Sarah Katreen
    Dedicated August 2018
    Sarah Katreen ·
    • Flag

We are going simple as well. A table cloth, maybe a runner, centerpiece is three large tropical leaves with a flat 10" bowl on top with black lava rocks and a couple of flowers floating on the water. Our food is a buffet so they can get plates and silverware when they go up.

Sarah

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics