S
Savvy September 2018

Obese and freaking out

Selena, on Dec 2, 2017 at 5:54 PM Posted in Fitness and Health

I'm getting married in 9 months and I'm freaking out because I'm 196lbs and only 5'7. So, technically I'm obese. I don't really look like I'm almost 200 lbs except you can see it real bad in my upper arms and my stomach is starting to fat. I'm freaking out because I'm not good and knowing what I should eat and how many calories or macros and I can't afford to have a personal trainer to teach me all that and work outs. Someone please help! I just want to look pretty for my wedding and hopefully make this weight loss thing a life style.

Share:

50 Comments

• Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·

If you try to eat really well - Whole Foods no junk food and limit sugar -

Up your activity level. You can download apps like Nike training club or just join a gym like planet fitness (10&dollar a month. There are lots of free plans online and you can run outside for free.

The best thing to do is change your diet. You can always ask to meet with a nutritionist once and pay for a one time consultation to get yourself set up and knowledgeable.

• Samantha
    Beginner July 2018
    Samantha ·

Try platejoy! My FH and I tried it and there's a weight loss option. It plans meals and grocery lists for you based on your goals and calories needed. Check it out

• Erin
    Super October 2018
    Erin ·

First off, beautiful comes in all shapes and sizes. If you want to loose weight for heath reasons, I'm all for it. Don't stress yourself out just because of feeling not beautiful for your wedding. It's nearly impossible for a bride not to look stunning on her wedding day. Try speaking with your doctor first and they will probably have personalized suggestions on your safest weight loss route.

• K
    Beginner September 2018
    Kathleen ·

Increase your physical activity try walking a few times a week or doing cardio at the gym. Also try to avoid processed foods and increase your fruit and veggie intake! Cut extra sugar out of your diet like sodas and desserts!

• Bride2Be2018
    VIP January 2018
    Bride2Be2018 ·

In regards to tracking calories, MyFitnessPal pal and weightwatchers are both great online tools for tracking food. MyFitnessPal is free and WW online is currently having an offer sign up for $1 and get a month free for the next 2 days. I go back and forth in between the two apps...but WW is nice if you don't want to obsess about calories.

• FutureMrsHill
    Expert April 2018
    FutureMrsHill ·

Write a food log for a week. Then decide what you need to change. There's several workout apps, you can use.

• Laura
    Dedicated September 2018
    Laura ·

Disclaimer: it's always a good idea to check in with your doctor for their recommendations since they have better insight into your health than we will.

What helped me make diet changes was the My Fitness Pal app. You enter your weight and goals when you set it up. I would literally plan out everything I was going to eat a day ahead of time and enter it all in. The app tells you how many calories it would total and if you're too high in carbs, sugars, etc.

My trainer is a big fan of weight lifting for fat loss, but also said to target 40-60 minutes of cardio - that could be dancing, treadmill, a walk in the park, anything! - several days a week for heart health and maximize weight loss.

It's hard to get started, but it feels good to be moving toward better health!

Last thing: don't focus on the scale, focus on how you feel. The scale just gives you a number, it can't measure how healthy and happy you are.

• Lauren
    Savvy June 2019
    Lauren ·

@Erin and @Munchkin9218 said it best! Clean up your diet to include whole foods (fruits, vegetables, protein), and try to eat as little processed foods as you can (canned items, frozen meals, etc.) and limit your sugar intake. Increase your physical activity, but that doesn't mean you have to join a gym or anything. Go for a walk around the neighborhood, turn on some music and dance, or just walk around your house when you notice yourself being a little couch potato! Little things can make a big difference, and don't get discouraged!

& hey, you are beautiful in any form. Tell yourself that every day, because it's true!

• MrsMtobe
    Devoted December 2017
    MrsMtobe ·

I'm with @Erin you're beautiful how you are. I wouldn't try to make drastic changes. Cut out junk food and soda and you will be surprised by the changes.

• K
    Expert July 2018
    K ·

I love FitnessBlender workouts on youtube. You can do those at home.

Try making small changes. It's really overwhelming to do everything at once. Try a change every two weeks.

My nutritionist says it's really important to eat healthy snacks so you don't overeat at meals.

And you pointed out the most important part! This is for a healthier lifestyle! So make changes for your future, not just for the wedding!

• Morgan
    Savvy September 2018
    Morgan ·

Make sure you speak with your physician before beginning a new exercise routine or diet plan! I'm a registered dietitian and can't tell you how many times I've seen patients who tried some fad diet or extreme crossfit and ended up in the hospital due to dehydration, kidney issues, severe low blood sugars!

My biggest advice, do NOT completely deprive yourself of your favorite foods. Maybe allow yourself that food once a week in a normal portion or eat smaller portions throughout the week (for example, if you're a chocolate lover, have 1 Dove square after dinner each night or indulge in that chocolate cake at your work potluck). The key is to introduce healthier habits without being extreme. Try a veggie or fruit for a snack in place of some chips. Add a salad or other veggie to every dinner. Choose lean protein cooked a healthy way. Carbs are not bad! But some carbs (whole grains, fruit, starchy veggies, dairy) are better than others (white bread, sugar).

Like some of the other girls said, MyFitnessPal is a good tool to get started, although I never recommend using it too long... then you'll start "obsessing" over every calorie and that's not healthy. Instead, use it to learn appropriate portion sizes. And listen to your hunger and fullness cues!

Exercise is obviously great for weight loss as well, but make sure it's something you enjoy so you stick with it.

Sorry for the excessively long post! Feel free to let me know if you have specific questions. I'd be happy to help!

• FutureMrs.L
    Master September 2018
    FutureMrs.L ·

I'm hoping to lose some weight, but diets for me are iffy. And cardio is not going to happen.

I've cut out soda, I don't really eat sweets, so didn't have to cut that out. Hell I barely eat 2 meals a day, usually only one, and two replacement shakes.

I'm not wanting to lose for the wedding. I'm not losing it to feel pretty or to meet society's standards. I already feel beautiful, I don't need to meet anyone's standards other than my own. I'm doing this for me, for me to feel more comfortable in my own skin. Sure as hell not to "feel pretty" for one day of my life. I feel pretty every day.

• ambrok
    Master October 2017
    ambrok ·

I lost 0lbs before the wedding & lost 5lbs since the wedding...go figure?!?

• Maria
    Master June 2018
    Maria ·

I'm 5'6 and used to weigh 210lbs. So far I've lost 36lbs and weigh 174lbs. The biggest battle is in your mind. For me I eliminated the biggest stressor in my life and maintained my weight (210) for 7 months. Just the fact that I had stopped gaining weight was a huge success. Then I felt ready to go for more.

I eat smaller portions and have two snacks a day, 1 is a fruit.

When I started working out I just did 30minutes of dancing to my favorite music in my living room. I would dance every day I could but I would make sure no more than 3 days passed without a workout. It made me sweat and worked for me. I recently intensified my workout because I was plateauing for 2 months and realized I could do more. But 30 minutes of rocking out to music I love was really working when I was very out of shape. I did it for 6 months.

Losing weight is an exercise in patience and discipline. If you drive yourself crazy with intense restrictions and stressing every time you make a mistake you'll be overwhelmed and it'll hurt your process. 9 months is a realistic time frame to lose weight but it can take some time to find what routine works for you and your body. You will look gorgeous on your wedding day no matter if you lose weight, stay the same or gain.

• Andie
    Super August 2018
    Andie ·

I'll second weight watchers. I do online only since it's cheaper but the online community is super supportive. I've lost 17 pounds in just under 3 months. And I haven't even exercised because I'm lazy and super busy. I definitely want to exercise more.

Easiest way to start is drink more water. I rarely drink anything but water now and it helps a lot. So much food has tons of sodium in it (especially restaurant food) and drinking more water helps.

• L
    Just Said Yes November 2019
    Laura ·

Use myfitnesspal. So helpful. My mom lost 60lbs using it. I lost 15 (but I am smaller...just gained weight in college)

• B
    Dedicated March 2018
    Baylee ·

It didn't help me to write everything down that i was eating and counting calories that way (and that's weird bc i think that strategy works for most people) but for me it was making me feel like i could eat more. One thing that did help me is I wrote everything down for one day that I ate and counted the calories in everything. It really opened my eyes to how many calories I was actually taking in every day and it showed me easy things I could cut out. Like for example I was unknowingly using about 200 extra calories in just my coffee without even thinking about it!

• Erika
    Dedicated March 2018
    Erika ·

I joined weight watchers in January. It has been super easy to follow and I am in no rush. I have lost 50 lbs and I am working on maintaining before starting up again. It is like 5$ a month with the app. Who cares what stats or charts say. You need to feel good in your own skin.

• Stacey
    Super October 2018
    Stacey ·

I lost weight cutting carbs (I know...it's so hard to say goodbye!) ditching sugar and eating only foods I could prepare myself. Nothing in a can, nothing frozen and I ate as much protein as I wanted. Nothing happened for the first 2 weeks but then suddenly the weight fell off. I had to do it for medical reasons, but it really helped my health issues and issues I didn't know were food related. No matter which route you decide to take it is never easy to make lifestyle changes, in fact the first couple of weeks suck, but it's worth it. My #1 tip is to carry healthy snacks at all times, this way when temptation strikes you have a weapon!

• Alana
    VIP March 2018
    Alana ·

Stay away from White flour. Look for things made with wheat. Like bread noodles etc. They make alot of things with wheat instead of flour. Processed foods and sugars are a no no. Increase fruits and veggies. Get them fresh or out of the freezer section. Stay away from canned fruits or veggies. Walk more

Comment on this discussion