starsinwaves
VIP November 2018

Need some lantern opinions!

starsinwaves, on July 11, 2018 at 1:10 PM Posted in Style and Décor 0 18
Saved Save

So I've been really making myself crazy over lanterns. It's ridiculous. I had initially envisioned white lanterns, but now that I've decided to stick to white table cloths (included with the venue), and we have white chairs, I'm worried it'll be too much white. I went to AC Moore a few weeks ago and picked these up, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Need some lantern opinions! 1

They're dark gray with a worn finish, and I worry they might be too gothic-looking for a beach wedding. For context, I plan to put a candle with sand, some large shells, and a starfish in each. I also feel like you won't be able to see the things in them too well because of the criss-cross.

Anyway, I did some rough mockups of tables in Photoshop and I'm wondering what you guys like best? I'm really undecided. I'll also be using these to line the aisles for the ceremony on the beach. Also, with white padded chairs.

Thoughts?

Option 1 (what I have, with cell phone photo)Need some lantern opinions! 2

Option 2Need some lantern opinions! 3

Option 3Need some lantern opinions! 4

Option 4Need some lantern opinions! 5

Option 5 (most expensive)Need some lantern opinions! 6

18 Comments

• DC Wife 10.27.18
    Master October 2018
    DC Wife 10.27.18 ·
    • Flag

I like the darker shade lantern. Its more of a contrast.

What program did you use to do this?

• Emily
    Dedicated November 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I like the darker one the best!
  • Janae
    Devoted June 2019
    Janae ·
    • Flag
    I like all of the options. I think that the decor will be beautiful no matter what.
  • Sarah
    Expert November 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    Option 4 is my favorite but what you have (option 1) is my runner up
  • Jules
    Dedicated January 2019
    Jules ·
    • Flag

Option 4 is what I'm choosing for my tables, from Pier 1- They often have some pretty great deals Smiley smile

• starsinwaves
    VIP November 2018
    starsinwaves ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Photoshop! I have a graphic design background. It's been tremendously helpful in helping me plan out my decor.

• Mirada
    Devoted November 2018
    Mirada ·
    • Flag

I like option 2 and 4!!!

Yes please share what virtual table site you used to make these tables, Please!!!Smiley love

• A
    Devoted October 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    You could use the lanterns you have but mabe spray paint them all silver or all gold for a lighter look?
  • Summer
    Super August 2018
    Summer ·
    • Flag

I like the dark distressed ones - very nautical looking IMO! Looks like a lantern you'd see hanging in an old lighthouse Smiley smile

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

I don't like the darker ones. I think keeping it white is really classy and much more beachy.

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

I like the darker ones. It provides a good contrast and it reminds me of the beach, especially the distressed look.

• Seatreasure
    Savvy July 2019
    Seatreasure ·
    • Flag
    You could always spray paint the lanterns you already own. If you are doing a beach theme you could choose white (to match your table cloths), coral, turquoise or blue (for a pop of colour) or gold (to give a bit of metallic glitz)
  • MaryD
    Dedicated September 2018
    MaryD ·
    • Flag
    I went through the same exact problem and ended up returning the darker lanterns because I felt they were too gothic looking. I honestly prefer the lighter tan lanterns with your set up. I think it gives a nice light and breezy feel which suites a coastal wedding. All of your options look great though!
  • starsinwaves
    VIP November 2018
    starsinwaves ·
    • Flag

Thanks for all the opinions! I'll stick with what I have, but I might look into painting them gold. I guess it depends on how hard it is to get the glass out.

Need some lantern opinions! 7

(Again, this was done in Photoshop, but someone really needs to make a program that does this!)

• DC Wife 10.27.18
    Master October 2018
    DC Wife 10.27.18 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I really like the gold too. So, I'm on team gold or dark.

• Suzanne
    Devoted November 2018
    Suzanne ·
    • Flag
    You can sponge paint the ones you have with some brighter silver paint to lighten them up a bit. I love them and I think they’ll look great!
  • Casey
    VIP December 2018
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Love the gold! And option #1

• Daria
    VIP January 2019
    Daria ·
    • Flag

I prefer the ones without the crossed bars on the panes. Especially with the darker metal, it's a little too dark and "heavy" against the rest of the table. If you like the darker metal go with one like Option #4.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics