Sherrie
Devoted August 2019

Name Change in Reverse

Sherrie, on March 15, 2019 at 11:28 AM Posted in Married Life
Hi peeps! So we'll probably be doing the name change in reverse - my FH is going my take my family's last name. Have any of you girlies gone through your FH changing his last name to yours? And was it as simple as him showing proof of marriage certificate to SS/DMV offices? Or was it a more complicated process? Thanks ahead of time for any info and tips you may have!
Share:

17 Comments

• FutureMrsD
    Rockstar July 2019
    FutureMrsD ·

It will depend on the state you are in, so I'd do some research with your county office. Usually you'll do your social security card first, then driver's license, then passport, then continue on to other things: mortgage, insurance, bank accounts, loan accounts, car title, utility companies, bills, rewards accounts, emails, etc.

• Sherrie
    Devoted August 2019
    Sherrie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Good point about the states. Thanks!
  • Annie
    Super October 2018
    Annie ·

I hear it is more complicated for men than women to go through the name changing process. I heard in some instances a judge has to allow it, but I would check with your state and county before just going to the ss office. Good luck!

• Sherrie
    Devoted August 2019
    Sherrie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    That's exactly what I'm wondering It sounds like it could potentially require a court date but I can't seem to get a straight answer as to the complexity. I'll keep poking into it. Thanks!
  • R
    Dedicated March 2019
    Renée ·
    In California it’s super easy- the new name for the bride or groom is right on the marriage license and either can change their last name to the other, hyphenate, or create a new last name.
  • Sherrie
    Devoted August 2019
    Sherrie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh that's AWESOME! Thanks for that!!
  • Iva
    Devoted October 2019
    Iva Online ·
    It will depend on the state. Check your SS website first. Once you have new name on SS card, everything else will be easier. But name changing is never easy, for men or women, there is a lot of paperwork involved & it’s time consuming.

Good for you & your FH for not being a stereotypical couple & for breaking gender norms (that should have been broken ages ago lol).
  • Sherrie
    Devoted August 2019
    Sherrie ·
    Good point on changing SS first. I'll check into that. Thanks! Haha we know it's unusual but we're going this way for a number of reasons. Explaining it to guests/family will be the tricky part!
  • Sherrie
    Devoted August 2019
    Sherrie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Haha replied above but forgot to hit reply to you! Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! We know its different so it'll be a challenge in some respects explaining to family but we'll see how it goes!
  • Alexandra
    Super December 2018
    Alexandra ·

Yeah, it depends on the state... but that's cool, and different. How'd you guys come up with that idea?

• Sherrie
    Devoted August 2019
    Sherrie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    His biological father (and that side of the family) isn't really in the picture and hasn't been for years. His last name, therefore, doesn't mean much to him because of that. My family loves him and considers him just as much a part of the family as I am. So in talking it over he rathered change his last name to mine than mine to his because that will mean much more to him It's really become a very special idea to me and is a huge honor for my family (and not that it's a big deal any more but there was a little sadness knowing our family last name line would stop with my parents since there are no men to pass it down - looks like that'll be a fun surprise for my family!)
  • Alexandra
    Super December 2018
    Alexandra ·
    View Quoted Comment

Wow, that is special!! I got goosebumps just thinking of your parent's reaction when they find out!! This is a really beautiful gesture!!!

• Sherrie
    Devoted August 2019
    Sherrie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes! I'm not sure how hes going to tell them yet but I'm expecting more than a few teary eyes when he does. It really is more special than I can say!
  • Tara
    VIP May 2020
    Tara ·
    Wow that’s awesome. Not many men are open minded like that!
  • Sherrie
    Devoted August 2019
    Sherrie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah - and it was totally his idea. We'd talked about a few other of his family line names but then he suggested mine and said he'd really rather that! I was so surprised!
  • AQuixoticBride
    VIP July 2018
    AQuixoticBride ·

Especially given that men don't only marry women, it really *shouldn't* be any different.

• Sherrie
    Devoted August 2019
    Sherrie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Comment on this discussion