A.Magill.Since.May
Master May 2018

Is a cake stand a must?

A.Magill.Since.May, on May 1, 2018 at 8:17 AM Posted in Style and Décor 0 18
Saved Save
I thought I had checked all the boxes about relevant decor and that I was done, but we didn't buy a cake stand for our wedding cake. Maybe I'm just tired of spending money on things I'll only use once, but part of me wants to say forget it. Is a cake stand really necessary? Would the cake on whatever cardboard it's delivered on sitting on the table be so bad?

18 Comments

• Shannon
    Expert October 2017
    Shannon ·
    • Flag
    Every wedding I have ever been to has done that. I've never seen anyone have a cake stand. It's really not necessary.
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you. That makes me feel a lot better lol
  • Jen
    Super May 2018
    Jen ·
    • Flag

I skipped it. Seemed unnecessary. I can't tell you what any of the cakes at the last 4 weddings I went to were on. No one will notice one way or the other.

• Katie
    Devoted September 2018
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I’d say just the board it’s delivered on is fine. From all of the weddings I’ve been to, I can’t remember what cakes were on so clearly none of them made that big of an impact on me. Lol
  • M
    Expert July 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

I would be to nervous at the cake getting transferred from the board to the cake stand depending how many tiers are the one the cake.

• Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Nah you don't need it. Your baker should have your cake on a sturdy board. Check with your venue many do provide them at no charge. Also, you don't transfer a cake from the board to the cake stand, you leave it on the board and place that onto the cake stand. Your baker will know what needs to be done when the cake is delivered.

• joey
    Expert October 2019
    joey ·
    • Flag

You probably don't need it, I have one because I want the cake to look good for pictures, but I got mine at the Goodwill. So if you are into thrifting you are bound to find one on the serious cheap, if you stay on the lookout.

However, I hear you about spending money on items you will only use once. Remember you can resell or help other relatives out that might be getting married in the near future. I would hate to get rid of all of my items then for my son's girlfriend to tell me, he proposed and I got to repurchase all over again. Smiley atonished

• Shayna
    Super August 2018
    Shayna ·
    • Flag
    We only purchased a cake stand because we have a one tier cake for cutting. If I was having a larger cake, I wouldn’t of spent the money. Don’t fret. No one will even pay attention to what your cake is sitting on.
  • JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

I found mine for $10 at Homegoods. They are stands I can use again later in my home. It was worth it to me. I think it adds a finishing touch.

• Ericha
    Devoted November 2018
    Ericha ·
    • Flag
    If it wasn't for the fact that my baker is a friend (who professionally makes wedding cakes) and has offered to let me borrow a fancy cake stand she has, I doubt we would have one. I'm with you on being fed up with buying things that will only be used once...
  • Elizabeth
    Expert April 2018
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

I didn't have a cake stand. I didn't think twice about not getting one and I didn't think twice while looking at it thinking it was missing.

• Bridecb
    Devoted June 2018
    Bridecb ·
    • Flag

If you are interested, bakeries also offer cake stands as rentals. I'm renting mine from our bakery but I personally wanted a cake stand! just a suggestion!

• Becca
    Expert October 2018
    Becca ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think a cake stand is necessary, but we are doing one and will take it to my baker with the topper so he has it with him when he delivers and sets the cake up.
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

For my 1st wedding I had a really nice cake stand that I gave the baker but they forgot to use it! This time around I just used a wine crate. But check with your venue. They may have something to put the cake on if you want, but it really isn't important.

Is a cake stand a must? 1

• Jen
    VIP July 2018
    Jen ·
    • Flag

My venue had one for me to use - otherwise I would not have purchased one as they are not necessary!

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

Our baker is actually bringing a cake stand she uses for weddings regularly! Check and ask if they have one you could use or possibly rent from them. Ours is free, but she offered to put it on the cake stand. I may forget the stand too since our dessert table is actually a piano and now space is limited.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag

Naw, not necessary. We didn't want to spend the money renting or buying one. The stand it was delivered with was fine for us. Here are photos:

Is a cake stand a must? 2

Is a cake stand a must? 3

• Miaaa
    Super January 2018
    Miaaa ·
    • Flag

We had a four tiered cake...and we didn't have a cake stand. They're nice, but not 100% necessary. We could have rented one from our baker for 35 bucks but we didn't want the extra hassle. And I barely make cupcakes so I knew I wouldn't need a 22 inch stand in my home in the future.

Comment on this discussion