Brae
VIP September 2019

How Many Songs Are You Planning?

Brae, on January 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM Posted in Planning 1 13
Saved Save
Okay, so I know I have to pick some songs including walking down the aisle, walking back out the aisle, first dance, father daughter dance, and grand entrance. I'm kind of thinking of leaving other songs up to the DJ. For example, I don't really care what plays while we're cutting the cake. What songs are you picking for the different events? I'm curious if I missed any that I might feel better actually choosing.

13 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·

The exact list you mentioned are the only ones we're planning.

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Great! I know some people are more particular than I am and would care about every song played for the most part, I just want to make sure I didn't glance over a really important part of the ceremony/ reception.
  • JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·

We picked a song for him to walk into. My song. The processional. First dance. Mother/son dance.

No idea what we walked into the reception to. No idea what the cake cutting song was. I didn't care and told the DJ to pick something that fit.

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! I'll ask him if he cares what song he walks into, probably won't lol, but that's not one I had thought of prior.
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·

This is the list of everything we are choosing songs for:

Ceremony:

-Walking in of the mothers (parents & grandparents)

-Processional of Bridal Party

-Bridal March

-Unity Ceremony (Sand & tying the knot)

-Recessional

Reception:

-Entrance

-First Dance

-Father / Daughter Dance

-Mother / Son Dance

• Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·

I'm playing one song as the bridesmaids/groomsmen walk, then one as I walk in, one as we all walk out and one for our first dance. MAYBE one for a cake cutting, but I doubt anyone notices a special song during that time.

• Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney Online ·

We're doing something similar:

Processional/recessional: Clare de Lune

Reception Entrance: Such Great heights by Postal Service

Father-Daughter Dance: Suddenly instrumental from Les Miserables

Everything will be up to our DJ, given a list of approved songs and artists, and guests are more than welcome to make requests.

• Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·

We are also doing similar categories with specific songs. The rest is up to the DJ. Having said that, we did give him a list of DO NOT PLAY songs, and another list of MUST PLAY songs. For everything else, we just talked to him about what genres we like, our favorite bands, etc.

• Augusta
    Dedicated February 2020
    Augusta ·

We are picking out 30 songs for our reception. We've put them in order based on what is happening during that time, like you mentioned.

• Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·

Our parents have all passed, so have two of his brothers and one of his sisters, as well as my best friend/cousin. Since there will be no father/daughter dance or Groom/mother dance, we're going to dance with siblings to the song "you should be here" by Cole Swindell. If my brother and I still aren't speaking by then though i'll ask my nephew or one of my future stepsons to dance with me. He'll dance with one or both of his sisters. For the bouquet toss i'm going with "girls just wanna have fun" by Cyndi Lauper. I know the go to song now is "single ladies" , but I detest Beyonce' so no way. Other than those two we're still deciding. For our first dance we're going with a mash up of a love song from 1985 when we first dated and a current one

• Lacie
    Devoted September 2018
    Lacie ·

Walking down the isle: Bridal Party - Instrumental version of Jurassic Park, My dad and I - Marry Me by Train.

Walking back up the isle: Ain't no Mountain high enough by Marvin Gaye

First dance: By My Side by Ned LeDoux - Country song but it represented us so much. We both loved the song the moment we heard it.

Father Daughter Dance: My little girl by Tim McGraw

Mother Son Dance: You'll Be In My Heart by Phil Collins

Entrance song to the reception: Hooked on a feeling by Blue Swede

Cake Cutting Song: Sunshine and Whiskey by Frankie Ballard.

We really like songs from movies if you can't tell since 5 of them are. lol.

We were originally going to use the cake boss theme song (can't think of the name of the song or artist) for our cake cutting song but randomly remembered another song that we said was "our song" whenever we heard it.

Hope that helps! Definitely not your traditional songs at all but if you have a DJ already I'm sure they can tell you want they have in their systems already or ones that are more commonly used to help give you ideas.

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    Thanks everybody! Seems like I got most of the big ones. I think I only want one song for both the bridal party and for my father and I to walk down to, but I'll talk to my DJ to see if the song is lo ohh enough/will work for all of us.
  • Brianna
    Dedicated September 2020
    Brianna ·
    We will have a song for the grandparents & parents coming down the aisle and being seated, then bridesmaids and groomsmen, then me and my parents and flower girls and ring bearers. Then for the reception we’ll have a song for each bridesmaid/groomsmen pair when they come in, then a song for me and FH, first dance song, mother/son song, father/daughter song, cake cutting.

Comment on this discussion