Brigit
Master October 2015

how are you saving $$$

Brigit, on September 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM Posted in Planning 0 45
Saved Save

I wondering where you guys were saving money in planning your wedding. i still need to get quotes from bakeries on the cost of cupcakes but i was reading that costco ones are good.

what are you saving on to stay in your budget?

45 Comments

• FinallyMrsW
    VIP October 2014
    FinallyMrsW ·

Flowers...going to the farmers market the day before and spending about $10 on each bouquet. if you ask how I have been saving money throughout this wedding its a "hasnt been happening". I am glad I had saved over the years because I would have had to take out a loan or waited.

• Uber Dami
    Master October 2015
    Uber Dami ·

A ton of diy for decor....luckily i have a lot of craft supplies already on hand and a lot of my friends have a lot of useful craft supplies they are donating to help out as well. also getting rid of unnecessary things (imo) like garter belt, seat covers, no bridal shower, no new jewelry for my wedding attire, buffet style reception, ditched the wedding planner, and having people we know do the cake, dj'ing and photography.

• TiffanyShay
    Master October 2014
    TiffanyShay ·

The biggest thing you can do is prioritize all the "extras"

IMO buy your dream dress (within a reasonable budget), and get an amazing venue/caterer..... anything after that is considered extra.

Once you prioritize you can demote a portion of your overalll budget.

We skipped out on a limo, my grandma made a lot of the "extras" such as garter, a shawl, my viel, I bought a braclet that I made into a sash... etc.

I bought wholesale flowers and am making my own bouquets, we did donuts instead of cake.

We splurged and got a double entree and a fully stocked open bar for the whole night... spend th money on what is more important to you and the rest will fall into place. Don't try to be extravengant in every area, even with DIY it's not possible on a budget. Don't stress either, everything will come togethr and be gorgeous.

• AndixLyn
    Master June 2015
    AndixLyn ·

Small guestlist

all inclusive venue

parchment paper painted flowers

centerpieces - dollar store vases stuffed with tissue paper in our colors, topped with a paper flower

bow tie & suspenders with dickies instead of tuxedos

bridesmaids get to buy any short grey dress

• Rachel Kay
    Super November 2014
    Rachel Kay ·

I am DIY'ing everything if that option is cheaper.

I'm also super crafty, and owned most of the craft supplies I needed, which made it affordable, and if I didn't own it, I probably wanted it for other crafts so it validated the purchase. All of my decor is going to be less than $200.

• Brigit
    Master October 2015
    Brigit ·

Yea I am already planning on doing alot of DIY, like invitations and std, any other things I can print my self/ create with illustrator. My budget from what my parents have given us is only $10,000 so I am trying to stay as close to that as possible. I know I am going to be over though, I have found that there are some things I have been very particular about and can manage to stay with in what I gave myself.

we really don't have a big guest list either, only 95 people on it including plus ones which my mom won't let me get rid of. And we bring in our own alcohol so I may have over budgeted for that but I want to make sure I have enough money left to buy it.

• JaKLyn
    Master November 2015
    JaKLyn ·

All inclusive venue

doing a lot of diy

found a few groupons to help with the cost of printing std's and invites

paid our vendors in cash

I have a good friend who is a professional photographer doing the wedding pictures for 60% off

opting to do an assortment of cakes (saved us over $100 to do a decorated sheet cake) as well as cupcakes, our cake and grooms cake

cut out favors

paper flowers instead of silk/live ones

booked a package with dj/video/photo booth to save $

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·

Our biggest savings were based on choosing off season and picking a venue that gave some great deals regarding being off season.

1. No Room Rental for using ceremony or reception venue

2. Discount on chairs for venue

3. Drop in Bev/Food Min

4. Free room at the lodge next year for our anniversary

5. Discounted rooms for guests with our wedding

Vendors: Regarding vendors I would say only 1 or 2 were willing to give us any deal because it was off season.

Dress: I bought my dress online brand new from another bride

Invitations/Paper Products: Used vista print and designed everything myself in canva.com or picmonkey.com

Flowers: ordering floweres from costco and a cheap wedding flower website

More but can't think of it right now.

• Victoria
    Devoted October 2014
    Victoria ·

DIY bouquets and centerpieces is how I saved a lot of money and you just have to think about whats most important to you. For a moment thought having chargers and real china on the tables were really important to me but then I thought about past weddings I went to and I couldn't remember what they had on their tables if you paid me. People remember how good the food was and the experiences they had. Don't overspend on things just to make people gasp for the moment because they will never fully appreciate the effort and money that went into it and it will end up have been a waste on your part.

• Susan
    Master March 2015
    Susan ·

Bargain hunting for craft supplies- Ribbon on ebay is about$1-3 for 25 yards! same deal on the lace. Using coupons and waiting for sales at Hobby Lobby and Michael's and JoAnn's.

I got votive candle holders, AND the candles online 72 for $38 including shipping (got 3 sets!)

We have shopped around for everything really, I did most of my research online for venues, found a reception venue that is all inclusive and very nice for price. Same thing for photographer and videographer. I knew what I was comfortable with spending, and a photographer that starts at 2k is not it! I got one with a huge package option including parent albums, and our album and lots of other stuff for $2300 or so.

I got my dress a local bridal shop for less than MSRP. Candy buffet jars off craigslist.

• Brigit
    Master October 2015
    Brigit ·

The assortment of cakes is a cute idea I've seen that on pinterest and would work well with my theme

• Rachael
    Expert November 2014
    Rachael ·

We were going to get Costco cupcakes, but they are HUGE! So we ended up going with Sams club because they are super tasty, and cheap. Here are some other ways we saved:

Flowers: made my own out of silk (when they were 50% off at hobby lobby).

Centerpieces: Made my own, and bought a lot of the stuff from craigslist. Along with my big centerpieces, I will be scattering votives around the tables. Bought them online at dollar tree.

Invitations: Bought them 1/2 off at Hobby lobby and printed them on my home computer

Ceremony: will be held at the same location as the reception, but different room (down the hall)

TONS of DIY's, and getting things only when they are on sale.

• MrsPope
    Master September 2015
    MrsPope ·

This is probably the only time I feel like I'm not saving anything, I am just throwing money to every one lol. But to answer your question OP I picked up a 2nd job, every paycheck pays a vendor off.

• KayDwitWill
    Master May 2015
    KayDwitWill ·

Saving money by doing the wedding at our home, I did the flowers and simple decorations. I also did a lot of shopping around for vendors who worked well below our budget yet were good. I did a lot of negotiating especially with my photographer/ DJ.

• FutureMrsZottola
    Master July 2015
    FutureMrsZottola ·

We went with the cheapest videographer, photographer, baker and florist (with the best reviews) that we could find! Other than that, we aren't saving at all! I hate to say it but everything is really adding up and we are seeing no light at the end of the tunnel--well I am freaking out about money but FI is real calm and is confident that we will be fine! I hope he is right

• Elisabeth
    Devoted November 2014
    Elisabeth ·

I have friends/family doing cake, photography, and my bouquet. I'm doing my own centerpieces - with square mirrors, glass vases (from ikea - so under $5 per centerpiece); buying BM bouquets from Costco/BJ's before the wedding, Making our own card box, cake topper, photo booth prop table, etc.

(My budget was the venue/caterer/dress - Everything else is less then $2000)

• Kyle
    Super May 2019
    Kyle ·

One of my biggest budget savers was signing up for Amazon Prime, which gives you unlimited 2-day shipping for an annual fee of about $80.

I hired a new photographer. It was her first wedding, but she had a couple of years experience with other photos. The outcome was better than ANY of the professionals I had looked into.

I DIY'd my centerpieces for under $20/each.

Instead of flower boutonnieres, I bought ones made of peacock feathers for just a few dollars.

• Kari
    Super May 2015
    Kari ·

Just trying to save here and there. Our venue is free. However, I did splurge on photographer and a DOC. We are doing cheaper catering (bbq), minimal on the decorations, may forego the cake and just do cobbler, buying bulk flowers and making my own bouquets with my bridesmaids, having a smaller wedding party... doing music ourselves (renting sound equipment was a LOT more affordable than I thought), Hmmm... and just kind of bargain hunting. Trying to find the most affordable rentals and stuff.

It's a lot of work. Somedays I wish I had money to burn, I would just hire a wedding planner, tell her what I want and write the checks! Haha.

• Brigit
    Master October 2015
    Brigit ·

@kari I know! It would be so easy to just tell someone make my wedding look like this and not care about the cost.

I have also been tossing the idea around of not having a cake but doing pies instead since my wedding is in the fall and apple pie is such a comfort food for me

• Kimberly
    Dedicated August 2015
    Kimberly ·

Amateur photographer, no videographer, ceremony is in a garden so no decor needed, DIY centerpieces, ceremony and reception at same location so no transportation needed, skipping professional make-up since I only want minimal anyways, using my mom's veil, splitting chair rental with another bride in earlier time slot, borrowing jewelry, vistaprint for stationery, disposable plates, etc.

Comment on this discussion