Cora
Just Said Yes September 2022

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress

Cora, on April 23, 2019 at 1:46 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 30
Saved Save
I’ve recently found out my partner doesn’t like the wedding dress that I’ve dreamed about since high school. I’m not into surprising him with first look bc that’s not important to us. I mean of course he won’t see me in the dress until the day of, but I’m cool with him seeing the dress beforehand. I want something simple, breathable and comfortable to be in on my wedding day. Something without a built in corset thing or strapless bc I have small boobs. I included the picture of the dress I love. It’s discontinued but I’m sure I could find something like it. He says it looks like something I could wear on a daily basis- even my mom agreed. He says he’d like to see me in something dressier, maybe with more skin showing (I’m not against skin, just want something comfy) and something that’s unique. What should I do- search for another dress or tell him I’m wearing it anyway? I want him to like what I wear on or wedding day. Anybody have dresses in mind that might fit both our ideas? Again, I want something breathable, comfy with straps or sleeves. The length doesn’t really matter. He wants something dressy that looks unique and like more of a special occasion dress. Its going to be an early fall wedding. I’m asking y’all bc I haven’t really got any friends to do dress shopping or looking with. Anything helps!

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress 1

30 Comments

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

I think you should get the dress you love and stop talking to people about it.

• Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·
    • Flag
    I love that dress! It is more casual, does that work with the tone of your wedding? At the end of the day it’s totally your call!

Theres a clear waistline that you could had a belt with some sparkle too. If you wearing a veil (ooh a birdcage veil would look awesome with that dress) that will make it look more like a traditional bridal dress too.

Last idea! If you have budget, could your wear this for the reception and a second dress (or even just a long over skirt) for the ceremony)

• Jessica
    VIP June 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

Why don't you take him dress shopping with you or have him look online to find styles he likes and once you get an idea go from there and try things on.

• Jennifer
    Expert October 2019
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    Since that dress isn't available anyway, I think you can definitely find a dress that you'll both be happy with. Sleeves aren't uncommon nowadays, and since you don't care about length, look for a longer dress. It will automatically be more formal and traditional. And remember that trains can be removed, if you find a dress that checks all your other boxes. I would refrain from showing him the dress you end up with, as long as you love it. That way you don't have to worry about how he feels about it. There are definitely comfortable dresses out there that look more formal and still have sleeves.
  • Rachael
    Dedicated June 2019
    Rachael ·
    • Flag

It will be different when you're in the dress, and especially if you have accessories, definitely won't look "plain"!

• Kyleah
    Expert March 2020
    Kyleah ·
    • Flag

If it were me, I would try to find something that you both love!

That being said, if you don't mind length maybe find a dress like this but with a longer skirt and then just add a rhinestone belt and it would look more "formal" / "traditional" like he's looking for but also be comfortable for you to wear!

In the end though if this is your dream dress and you try on something similar and absolutely love it, then get it! You'll know THE dress when you try it on (at least I did!).

• Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag

Would you be willing to compromise - possibly find a dressier/more weddingy dress for the ceremony then change into something similar to your dream dress for the reception? You can find dressier ones online even for fairly cheap - and even try them on/return if need be. Another option would be to find something like this dress, then put a larger/fluffy skirt over the bottom for the ceremony, take it off afterwards.

• Hermione
    Devoted February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    Short answer is what you want to do within budgetary reason.

It doesn't matter who likes or hates your dress. If he loves you, he'd marry you in a burlap sack and tell you, "Babe, you look absolutely stunning." And you be like, "Darn right I am drop dead gorgeous in this rustic chic." If you watch say yes to the dress, the groom that goes in with the woman to check out dresses seems slightly off for a reason. Your mom should only want to see you happy. If you have to take out a mortgage to pay for it, it probably isn't a good idea. The burlap sack is a metaphor. The dress looks fine. If you want a tea length dress and the only problem with it is that it is sleeveless, then you can alter it to have sleeves.
  • B
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Brittley ·
    • Flag

Go to a bridal shop! Tell them everything you told us and let them help you find the perfect medium. Besides, you may change your mind once you start trying on different styles! For instance, I thought I wanted a modern-looking a-line gown and ended up with a lacy deep V trumpet gown! You don't have to buy from them but it may help you decide what you like best on YOU. Another option is to get this dream dress and wear it for the reception, and get another more "formal" dress for the ceremony. Keep in mind the overall theme and feel of your wedding. casual garden wedding? The dress you like would be perfect! Chapel wedding with 200 guests? Maybe consider more of a "special occasion" dress. Remember that it'r your wedding and you should feel comfortable and content with your decision and luckily there are plenty of bridal experts at stores who will be able to help you really nail down the perfect dress. Good luck!

• Star
    Dedicated October 2019
    Star ·
    • Flag
    This is gorgeous! 💕💕 & I think it’s YOUR day too and this is YOUR dress. You wear what you want to wear. And you ROCK it. ✨
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

Could you buy a dress for the ceremony & this more comfy one for the reception?

• Kora
    Expert September 2020
    Kora ·
    • Flag
    At the end of the day it’s what YOU feel beautiful in.. maybe you can add a beaded belt? Have you tried on other dresses yet? You never know until you try them on! Your heart might be out for this dress but you never know! And btw we are name twins 😊
  • Kora
    Expert September 2020
    Kora ·
    • Flag
    Also, there are many breathable light dresses that are simple yet chic! Good luck

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress 2

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress 3

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress 4
  • Expert October 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    Mine probably isn’t unique but it looks very similar to your dream dress. It’s very comfy and has pockets. I recently saw Amy from Reno 911 in it on an episode and I swear it’s all over David’s Bridal Instagram. I’m actually thinking about buying a new dress just because I’ve seen so many other brides in it. But I probably won’t since I really do love it and how I feel in it. I paired it with these ballerina flats and a catherdral veil.

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress 5

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress 6

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress 7

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress 8
  • Heather
    Expert April 2020
    Heather ·
    • Flag

I went with a dress that my FH will probably not like, but I'm hoping he at least thinks I am beautiful in it and will have a great reaction for first look photos. I would, however, try on dresses (of course probably closer to a year out). I know you said you don't really have anyone to go with, but you will be glad you tried on physical dresses. There were a lot of dresses I liked online, but hated on me. I think he will think differently when it's your wedding day and it's on you.

• FutureStephD
    Super March 2019
    FutureStephD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ohhhh, beautiful! And such a great idea for the OP.

OP, I wouldn't show FH or others your dress. Pick something and stick with it. FH will LOVE you in anything you wear. H would've hated my dress if I showed him a picture - in fact, a few people said it looked plain. it totally didn't on, or with hair and makeup and accessories.

• Cora
    Just Said Yes September 2022
    Cora ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow I really love that dress!!
  • M
    Dedicated May 2019
    Maybride2019 ·
    • Flag
    My FH and I are alot like the 2 of u. He was actually with me when I picked my dress so I know he loves it. It was very important to me that he did. I couldn't imagine wearing a dress on my wedding day that I knew my FH didnt love.
  • Sarah
    Devoted June 2020
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Exactly!!!

I think it would be better suited for a "traditional" wedding to be floor length. Also you could find a dress with different sleeves. Maybe that would change his option without actually changing the style of the dress. But it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks but you!
  • Sarah
    Devoted June 2020
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    David's Bridal

He doesn’t like my dream wedding dress 9

Comment on this discussion