Adoretamm
Master May 2016

Gonna have to cut back on something, don't know what yet.

Adoretamm, on October 28, 2015 at 7:55 AM Posted in Planning 0 47
Saved Save

Originally I wanted to have a videographer, photo booth, and a DOC. I'm starting to think we may have to cut one of these out. We really don't wanna go over budget with everything. The DOC is going to take less stress off me the day of, and the videographer catches moments that we will cherish forever. The photo booth is just something that is always done in my family and I feel my family will be bored without it. Don't know what to do!

47 Comments

• MrsBest2B
    Master June 2016
    MrsBest2B ·
    • Flag

I'd cut the photo booth, they'll get over it.

• Jersey
    Master November 2016
    Jersey ·
    • Flag

I personally wouldn't cut the videographer, but there are a lot of ladies on here that have done with one.

What is your venue like? Mine has a coordinator there. He doesn't do as much as a DOC, but enough to keep me sane. So in MY case, I would probably cut the DOC.

But if you have no one at you venue handling anything, then a DOC is gold. So I would say cut the photobooth. They are not necessary at all!

• Celia Milton
    March 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I'd cut the Photo Booth, honestly. I love them, and people do have fun with them, but weddings have happened for decades without them. People will just have to GASP talk, dance and interact.

Next? The video. I know, I know, but every one of them I see looks exactly the same, (with rare exceptions). Do you need a forever recording of your fiance putting on his cufflinks? No, probably not. You could always have one of your tech-ier relatives record the ceremony, but usually really memorable videos are really expensive ones.

Keep the DOC; they'll keep you sane!

• bla2003
    Devoted September 2015
    bla2003 ·
    • Flag

I wanted video of my wedding for a keepsake but it didn't have to be super high quality so I had my cousin do it. She's not a pro but she films a lot of family events mainly for fun and so that was good enough for me. Obviously the photos were more important so I hired a pro, but since video quality wasn't nearly as important I asked her if she minded doing it. I didn't care as long as someone did it. No money spent there! I offered to pay her but she declined. It all just depends on what you find most/least important. To each their own.

• WolfWedding2016
    Master May 2016
    WolfWedding2016 ·
    • Flag

I would cut the Photo Booth. I know everyone loves them, but at the last wedding I was at everyone was constantly lined up and not as many people were dancing - I felt like it was kind of distracting! Plus you could still set up a wall and have props if people want to take their own Photo Booth pictures - we might do that.

• MrsLaurenET
    Master September 2016
    MrsLaurenET ·
    • Flag

I personally would cut the photobooth. I think the other two you would regret not having after.

But Jersey Jen makes a good point... you may be able to cut the DOC if your venue has a coordinator.

• Samantha
    VIP August 2015
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

If I was u I would cut out the photobooth. I know there fun but I never understood the need to entertain your guest more. Also you could do a DIY a photo backdrop and then everyone could take there own pictures. We did one at ours and everyone loved it!!

• VWCat
    Master October 2015
    VWCat ·
    • Flag

Cut the photobooth.

ETA: If you want something to entertain your guests, we had a giant jenga set which was close to free since we made it ourselves. It was super easy, and it really brought people together.

• Adoretamm
    Master May 2016
    Adoretamm ·
    • Flag

My venue will have people there the day of but I'm not sure if it's considered a DOC. I'll have to look into that.

• Kristina
    Master September 2016
    Kristina ·
    • Flag

I would cut the PhotoBooth. I promise it will not be missed. I personally am not doing video and I don't regret it. But a DOC is a must in my book. They will allow you to be a guest at your own wedding.

• Kimi
    Master August 2016
    Kimi ·
    • Flag

I have never actually been to a wedding with a photo booth. I'm sure my guests would love it, but it is completely out of the question budget-wise. If you still wanted to keep that element, what about a DIY photo area. I've read several articles on this (still out of my budget) but seems like an alternative.

We also decided against a video (again because of budget), but I am now trying to figure out if we can actually come up with that money. I was thinking (planning) certain elements of the ceremony that I won't get to see (my nephews walking down the aisle with the rings, my future step-sons carrying a sign that says "Dad, here comes your girl, then flipping it over to "Hurry up, we want cake"). I do own a video camera and I've looked into several places that rent you cameras, then they make your video from all the raw footage that guests have recorded.

These are the three I have bookmarked:

http://www.storymixmedia.com/weddingmix/pricing-packages-check-availability/

https://www.wedit.com/

http://www.guestshots.com/how_it_works

• Adoretamm
    Master May 2016
    Adoretamm ·
    • Flag

The DIY photo booth I'm going to look into. I have some props here already, so I'm gonna be what we can do. If not I'll cut it out all together

• Gonefishes
    Super May 2016
    Gonefishes ·
    • Flag

It also depends on how much u need to cut back. My DJ provides the photo booth for $800 while the starting price for a videographer is $2500. Check your budget to see how much u really need to cut back because if you're $2k over budget then the photobooth won't put you back on track.

• Dreamer
    Master May 2013
    Dreamer ·
    • Flag

Cut the photobooth,. We were the first to do one, in our families/social circles, but by now, they are sooo overdone.

We had a banquet manager, dining room captain, florist who took care of the décor, and bandleader whose been in the business for 30 years; we never considered a DOC.

• RJmargo
    Master May 2016
    RJmargo ·
    • Flag

I would see what services your venue provides day of, but if they don't have a DOC that will do everything you want then don't cut the DOC. Depending on how much you need to trim, you could try cutting back on the hours of the videographer and the photobooth without completely getting rid of either. If you have to get rid of something though, I would say the photobooth and do it as DIY as someone else mentioned.

• Nattie
    Super October 2015
    Nattie ·
    • Flag

Cut the photo booth, no one will even notice it's not there. Plus, I feel like it takes people from the dancing and fun and its very overdone.

• Adoretamm
    Master May 2016
    Adoretamm ·
    • Flag

@Gonefishes I'm in Houston and haven't received a quote that cost $800 for a photo booth thankfully. My DJ is apart of my all inclusive package so I'm not sure what they charge for other services.

• Tara
    Devoted November 2015
    Tara ·
    • Flag

I know I'm in the minority on this site but I would cut the DOC. Take a step back and look at what they will actually be doing for you.

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·
    • Flag

As many others said, you can eliminate the photo booth or do a DIY one. I'm personally not a fan of them that much anyway, the pictures are always just sort of mediocre.

As much as I'd hate to say this...video would be the second cut. I wouldn't trade my video for the world and all I have is the highlights so far. But there are moments that were captured on there that weren't in pictures and that I didn't even know about or remember. For example, during the ceremony I had a "wow this is happening moment" and you could hear it in my voice, and you just don't get that from a picture. And I had nice close up shots of my husband's face when I walked down the aisle which was awesome to see. HOWEVER, you can just get someone with a nicer video camera and a tripod and set it up at the back of the ceremony and maybe ask someone to record the speeches and first dance. It won't be as good but it is possible to do yourself. I would seriously think about it though and if you can fit it in.

Don't even think about dropping a DOC. If you have any details you want to come out right...get a DOC. You spend so much money and time and thoughts on this one day, it is so nice to know someone else is going to look after everything. It's sooo worth it to make sure you get your money's worth with every single aspect. I've never seen a BAM that says they regret having a DOC.

• Princess Consuela
    Master November 2015
    Princess Consuela ·
    • Flag

I would definitely cut the photobooth or videographer. I love photobooths at wedding, but definitely am not disappointed if it's not there. The videographer is solely for you and your FH, so think about what is more important to you - having something that you can cherish forever, or having favors your guests can cherish as long as those photo strips hang on their fridges.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics