B
Savvy June 2009

dinner- place cards

Brianna, on May 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM Posted in Planning 0 5
Saved Save

I have the same concerns as some of the other posts

- we are having a sit down dinner with people choicing if they want beef or chicken. But we noticed on the RSVPs that we know how many people coming and how many of each we need but not which person is having what. I don't want to call everyone and ask them. so we thought of putting just the last name on the card and then beef or chicken written under their last name.

But what if someone changes their mind and grabs the wrong one???

if you don't have the cards already out on the table would anyone change the table they sit at??

5 Comments

• Jeanne Stark
    December 2019
    Jeanne Stark ·
    • Flag

The most important thing to remember is that the caterer or venue is still going around to ask what guest would like for dinner. The reason a venue or caterer asks you to provide how many of each meals is needed is to ensure that there is enough of each meal. But when it is time for the guests to take their seats the wait staff will ask them again which meal they prefer. So don't worry about the table of seat of a guest with chicken, the wait staff will take care of this for you.

• B
    Savvy June 2009
    Brianna ·
    • Flag

We wen through a smaller cater and we are hiring the wait staff. We were worried about letting people tell them what they were eating because what if people change their minds? we arleady have a lot of maybes from guest on even making the dinner.

• J
    Savvy June 2009
    jed103100 ·
    • Flag

I was previously a Catering Manager at a resort, so hopefully I can help. 1st, you don't have to have the cards already on the table. Another option is setting a place card table at the entrance and having the guest name and then table number under the name, then they just grab their card & head to the table. As for the meal issue, 1 option is to make 1 placecard per couple. At some point, your servers should go around the table & when they notice 2 different meals, they will probably ask who gets what. If you want to have 1 placecard per person, it's pretty safe to assume the man picked beef and the woman chicken. Of course that's not always true, so if not they will usually just swap plates. Maybe ask your caterer if they have any suggestions. We deal with this type of thing at most weddings, so I bet they've had this happen before. Also, you don't have to write beef or chicken on the cards. We color coded ours in the wedding colors so burgandy=beef & ivory=chicken, just an idea!

• Amy
    Dedicated December 2009
    Amy ·
    • Flag

We requested on the response cards that they iniial next to the entree for each person that way we would kjnow who was getting what.

• dogluver315
    Dedicated January 2010
    dogluver315 ·
    • Flag

We are doing place cards at the entrance to the ballroom with each family on one. When they get to the table, there will be menus in the napkin and each menu will have each individual guest's name. There will be a ribbon on the top of each menu card. The color of ribbon will signify to the server what meal the guest will get (i.e. burgandy ribbon = steak, gold ribbon = chicken).

Comment on this discussion