Andrea
Beginner June 2010

Ceremony, Altar Decorations for Non-Traditional Wedding

Andrea, on December 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM Posted in Style and Décor

I am getting married in a beautiful lobby of a performance center, and I have no idea how to decorate the "altar" area. It's a non-traditional wedding in that we are having a friend marry us and are keeping it low-key and short. I'm doing the black and white damask theme. I don't want a traditional arch, or anything having to do with bows! but I can't think of anything creative to make that area of the ceremony a nice focal point. Suggestions?

Share:

21 Comments

• Amy
    Super June 2010
    Amy ·

Man all my suggestion was going to be what u dont want hummmm let me look and we have the same date

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·

How about white lights with flowers?

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·

Do you have a picture of the area?

• Amy
    Super June 2010
    Amy ·

Photobucket

• Amy
    Super June 2010
    Amy ·

Go to the photos on here and hit black and alot of stuff comes up

• Margaret Sneddon
    May 2019
    Margaret Sneddon ·

Why not set up a small table and drape it with your black and white damask underneath and a smaller white cloth on top. You can have some candles on the table and a beautiful bouquet of flowers on a pedestal near by. How about some red roses or something to compliment your bouquet.

Best wishes

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·

Click on one of my Inspiration Boards. I have 2 or 3 that are not arches b/c I don't really care for them either. I also saw just the other day a personalized sign. I guess it was about 6 ft tall. You can get your names put on it and it kinda creates a focal point. Trying to remember what website I saw that on..

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·

Gonna show some pictures, maybe you can get an idea

I know you won't be in a church, but in this picture, focus on the flowers, you can do something to this effect in the lobby...

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·

• Andrea
    Beginner June 2010
    Andrea ·

Love these ideas! I had thought about lining the aisle with the candles in a vase, and I really like the idea of putting a table up front with the damask fabric on it...easy and classic. What about renting two really tall, large (almost outdoor looking) vases that could go on either side of us???

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·

This is actually in a lobby and a lot of brides are using them as centerpieces, maybe you can do something similar...

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·

Sounds great Andrea!

• Andrea
    Beginner June 2010
    Andrea ·

I don't have a good pic to share, but a description may help. It's black and white subway tile throughout with two staircases on each side. There are three steps that lead down to where the "altar" will be with nice lobby doors in the background. here is a link to a pic of the place from the outside.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_G1-RrzoeJ9A/R3VfGic1U4I/AAAAAAAAAAU/nb2lsE_2xVs/S730/Blog+header.jpg

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·

Andrea I am getting married on the same day and I am also using black/white damask.

• Andrea
    Beginner June 2010
    Andrea ·

Traci_Bob I am actually doing that type of centerpiece for the reception using square vases, so I can definitely incorporate them into the ceremony. thanks!

• Andrea
    Beginner June 2010
    Andrea ·

Ladylee Congrats! another damask bride! don't you love the elegance of it! I'm using fabric I found at Hobby Lobby to make runners for all my reception tables...

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·

I ordered my fabric from fabric.com. I've made 25 for the guest tables and I have to do one more for the head table. Here is one of them draped across my dining room table. I'm so proud of them lol!

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·

You're welcome Andrea

• Ann Dillon
    May 2019
    Ann Dillon ·

Our Illuminated Flowers will work beautifully.

We even have them in black and white.....view our website and our Photo Album.

We are at www.BellaAeris.com

• Demetra Cunningham
    May 2019
    Demetra Cunningham ·

We can Create a 4 pole Canopy with Crystal Curtains hanging in the backdrop with beautiful flowers attached. We could also add two 4 foot Crystal Trees to create an elegant and unique look that would showcase you and your beloved mate, it would also look great on pictures. Check out my website for serval Black & White (Damask) events and other backdrops at www.sbdevents.com - Click on 'view our Flickr gallery' that is found on the home page. Please check out our blog: www.eventstylist.blogspot.com for more pictures and articles. We can be reached at (310) 644-9400 - Demetra or Email: sbdandeventdecor@aol.com

Comment on this discussion