The VanLandingham Estate Reviews

29 | Charlotte, NC

29 Reviews for The VanLandingham Estate

Jackie · Married on 10/10/2014

This is a fantastic venue! Everyone that attended our wedding keep saying how magical and perfect everything was and that is largely due to the staff and the beauty of the Van Landingham. I would definitely recommend this venue without question.

Sent on 10/21/2014

Katie · Married on 09/06/2014

I could not have asked for more! Throughout the planning process, Kaylie was helpful, patient and flexible. On the day of our wedding everyone seemed to go above and beyond and made our day super special and memorable!

Sent on 09/09/2014

Amanda · Married on 08/30/2014

My wedding at The Vanlandingham Estate was absolutely amazing! I'm truly blown away by how well my special day went and how much time and effort the VLE staff took to make my day so wonderful. We worked with Kaylie and from the start she was very friendly, eager, and helpful. She was very responsive, even taking time to respond to questions or emails even during off business hours. Since wedding planning was new to us of course, we had lots of small detailed questions and she was very patient answering even the smallest annoying questions :)

The food was so delicious and we got lots of compliments, especially on the hors d'eurves!

The gardens are gorgeous and are the main attraction, though the house and all the guest rooms are so unique and inviting. I chose to stay the night on Friday night before the wedding so I was able to relax and enjoyed a massage and getting ready in my suite with very little logistics t he day of which I feel is key for a low stress day. On Sat night of our wedding we had booked all the rooms in the main house and it truly felt like we owned it for the evening. It made it feel that much more special.

Overall, the entire staff, especially Kaylie, was amazing and made us feel we were their only wedding.

If I had to do over I would choose VLE time and time and time again!

Sent on 10/01/2014

Judy · event on 08/14/2014

Our event was a fundraiser with some unique needs. Every staff member from owner, Billy Maddalon,to event planner,Kaylie, to the banquet manager and his crew made our evening a huge success. The preparation leading up to the event was very professional and thorough. The house and gardens, with their natural beauty, combined with some new outdoor lighting made for a magical evening. Even though we had a packed house, the staff navigated the venue doing their job seamlessly. Every guest left content from the delicious dinner and the elegant ambiance of the estate.

Sent on 08/21/2014

Mary · Married on 06/21/2014

As the mother of the bride I fell in love with the venue immediately. The grounds are amazing and everyone was a joy to work with. I cannot tell you how thankful I am that we were able to book the venue and have the opportunity that we did. It was stunning and the staff was so accommodating. I highly recommend both the Van Landingham Estate & the Moorehead Inn. Great Job on my little girls wedding!!!

Sent on 03/10/2015

Emilie · Married on 04/26/2013

We had a great experience! Jackie was easy to contact throughout planning. We had a food tasting to help decide our menu. The food was GREAT. Everyone loved it. Jackie was very helpful in planning within our budget. The venu provided everything so literally all we had to do was just show up! They helped setting up our centerpieces as well. The evening was great. The garden was beautiful and everyone had a great time. We stayed at the estate that night as well. They had champagne in our room and breakfast in bed the next morning! Having our room also was great so We could get ready prior to the wedding a the venu. Jackie accommodated us with early check in. The garden was gorgeous at sunset. the photographer was able to get great photos. All in all we had an amazing night. Would definitely recommend :)

Jillian · Married on 06/11/2011

The VanLandingham is the most spectacular venue in Charlotte! My husband and I could not have been more happy in selecting the VL for our wedding reception. Jack was amazing to work with and part of the reason I made the selection to begin with! The grounds are beautiful and all our guests were raving about it. The food - was even better than I had expected! The service, you can't beat it. What a lovely spot for such a magical day!

Sent on 07/11/2011

Suzanne · Married on 06/16/2007

This was a dream wedding! The Van Landingham Estate is a historic B&B. A large part of my family stayed at the Estate the weekend of the wedding. It was so great being to spend all of our time together. The night before the wedding we all stayed up late talking and enjoying family time! It was perfect! Our event planner made the weekend possible! I didn't have to give a second thought to anything. She took care of all the details. I just made decisions and let my vendors know who to contact and told her who the vendors were. I did not have to coordinate a single thing! They took care of all the details! She made sure that everything we had talked about happened. She made great suggestions during our planning time but was open to our suggestions as well. The staff made sure that not only was the weekend my dream but that my guests had a dream weekend away as well. The food was amazing all weekend! The scenery for the pictures was perfect! We have the most romantic pictures and a perfect spot for all of our anniversiaries!

Sent on 10/08/2008

Ashley · Married on 08/16/2014

The VanLandingham and Kaylie Erickson were fabulous to work with. Kaylie listened and delivered exactly what we asked for. The venue is fabulous and I have just been please with everything!

Sent on 10/05/2014
  • Z

Zoa · Married on 08/08/2014

We booked the Van Landingham Estate well in advance before our wedding. This is a hidden gem and we first visited the place before reading reviews. When we looked at the beautiful estate and the stunning gardens, we fell in love with this venue. It's the perfect place to have both your reception and ceremony and keep things simple & elegant for your guests. Nothing else could compare. The reviews on this site actually made us nervous about signing a contract with them. But the venue manager at the time, Allison, reassured us that those issues were being worked on and we shouldn't face those troubles. By the time that we were ready to resume talks about the wedding, Cathy & Kaylie joined the team. We worked more closely with Kaylie and she is fantastic. Flexible, responsible and professional. We are very pleased with her attention during the process, despite her being new to the VLE. So if you love the venue, don't hesitate on signing the contract. You are in great hands. The venue is on the expensive side but the beauty of the place is unmatched in the Charlotte area. Our guests raved about how stunning the place is and how delicious the food was! Highly recommended!

Sent on 09/01/2014
  • Maria Ximena

Maria Ximena · Married on 06/08/2012

The VanLandingham Estate was the perfect place for my wedding. The gardens were beautiful. The food at the wedding was absolutely delicious. All my guests commented on how good the food was. The venue is a little overpriced but I believe that at the end, it was all worth it. The sunny day was the perfect back drop to my VLE outdoor wedding. I only wish we could have extended the time after 11:00 pm since the party was still going. But what will stand out the most was the help from one of the planners, Melissa. Thanks Melissa! She was amazing in her responsiveness to my every request, email, question, and concern. She is an asset to the VLE. - MX Sussman

Sent on 06/20/2012

Emily · Married on 06/06/2009

The VanLandingham Estate is a beautiful bed & breakfast set on a 4.5 acre property. There are 9 guest rooms, so our family stayed there and enjoyed the whole weekend at the Estate. Our wedding was perfect, thanks in part to the amazing service offered by the staff at the Estate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this location to anyone that would like to get married in Charlotte.

Sent on 06/21/2009
  • Q

Susan · Married on 04/19/2009

I fell in love with the Estate a long time ago, and it lived up to my wedding expectations!

Sent on 05/05/2009

Kelly · Married on 05/25/2013

3.0

I had read several critical comments online about the VanLandingham Estate, but my experience was lovely. I had my ceremony and reception there in May. I had worked with two event planners (one for many months and one for one month) before Jackie D. took over as my event planner. She was very organized, professional, and helpful. My fiance and I emailed her regularly as questions arose, and she was incredibly prompt with getting back to us. The grounds at the VLH are incredible, and my wedding had perfect weather, so it was exactly the venue I had in mind. My guests wandered around the gardens with their drinks and enjoyed the beautiful balcony and front porch. Some of the rooms in the VLH are a little dated (if having the event on a weekend night you are required to book all five rooms in the main house), but that was not an issue to my family. The place has so much charm; it is really worth checking out!

Lisa · Married on 04/11/2010

3.5

Ladies - book early. This place gets booked up years in advance. Helpful hint weddings on Friday night or Sunday are half the estate fee!!! That is a $1500 savings. And none of my guests minded a Sunday wedding. The staff were helpful and lovely and made us all feel special. It was a wonderful place to have a wedding!

Sent on 04/26/2010

Martha · Married on 01/02/2015

We had a wonderful event at the Morehead Inn. The night of January 2, 2015, our guests rented all 12 rooms of the Inn. Everyone enjoyed the accommodations. The dinners (Seared Filet with Brandy Mushroom Sauce and Citrus Salmon) were excellent. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Overall, it was the absolutely perfect venue for our event. Kaylie was very accommodating. At a couple of our meetings I felt she was rushed as she had to leave me to go to another responsibility. However, I did drop by the Inn unexpectedly, and she accommodated me and gave me additional time. The mistakes on our initial contract were corrected. We communicated a couple of times with the assistant at the VanLandingham Estate and found that communication to be unclear. A suggestion for Kaylie is to dress somewhat more professionally the night of the event. These were minor glitches. We truly appreciate what Kaylie did for us. Our guests had a wonderful experience. We are thrilled with the outcome, and we will have happy memories of our time at the Morehead Inn always. Thank you.

Sent on 01/05/2015

Katie · Married on 11/16/2013

I had my wedding ceremony and reception at the Estate and I could not be more pleased! My family wanted to have the reception at our country club, but that's just not me. The staff changes were a little unnerving at first, but Jackie, Cathy and Jodie could not have done a better job for my family. I live and work in another city and so planning could have been difficult, but it wasn't at all. I Skyped with Jackie several times and she was always right on top of any changes we made. I kept waiting for something to go wrong and for the stress to overtake me, but it just never happened.

Everything was so lovely and it was a terriffic party. I always wanted a fall wedding and the grounds were just beautiful. All my guests were raving about the food and how wonderful the location is. They made me look really good, which I appreciate. My immediate family stayed at the historic estate for the weekend and they are still talking about how much fun they all had. Such great memories!

Sent on 01/01/2014

3.2
      3.5

I have to echo similar reviews that although our wedding day was beautiful at the Vanlandingham Estate, we were not pleased with the overall service, organization, or professionalism of the staff throughout the PLANNING. We had four contacts during planning: the sales director who couldn't provide much detail but was there to sell the property, and three different event coordinators, even had a few emails with the manager/owner. There was staff turnover, a new menu (worked in our favor actually!) and needing to re-explain everything again and again caused unneeded stress that something was going to go missing. Things were promised that couldn't be accommodated and we had to be flexible/accommodating and we felt nickle and dime'd. Make sure to read the contract line by line (tents can be put up by another event, lights can be up from another event, other events taking place, etc) and ask about all fees (cleaning, etc). The day-of was flawless though. Jackie took all of my stress away and made it easy. She got us down the aisle (we paid the ceremony coordinator fee), had food out on time, made sure we were fed and on schedule. The food was amazing (the grouper was a little fishy) but my guests were happy with what I planned and my overall vision. She and the catering team helped set up decorations (it doesn't need a lot), guided my vendors and made sure everything was as perfect as possible. I think that Vanlandingham will reclaim it's place as THE place to get married with the new team as long as Jackie is there and gets help (she is coordinator for two properties). (side note: the front two rooms do need a little TLC.)

Sent on 06/06/2013

2.6
      2.0

While we adored the venue and the grounds were beautiful, I have to say that my husband and I and our families were displeased with a number of components of our experience with VLE.

Not sure what the $150 we paid Jackie coordinate the ceremony was for. She doesn't have confidence or assertiveness to organize the bridal party/ families adequately. She was great to work with leading up to the wedding and very helpful in the planning process, but I think that to actually coordinate the ceremony requires a level of confidence, assertiveness that she definitely doesn't have.

My father had to leave the reception to bring our dog home after the staff explicitly told us (and the website also states this) that pets were allowed on site.

Jackie neglected to inform us (until I wrote her to check in a few weeks before the wedding) that there was another wedding taking place on Friday which resulted in us having to change our rehearsal time and rehearsal dinner time (inconveniencing us and especially our out of town guests).

We were also informed near the end of the night that when my father in law was trying to coordinate our sparkler exit, a staff person was incredibly rude to him and said something to the effect of, "I don't want to deal with this."

The price of the rooms in the main house is ridiculous given the quality of the stay, and they make you rent out all five rooms for weekend weddings. They seriously need updates (to the beds, linens, electronics, etc). They are also unable to accommodate guests with disabilities.

I will say that the wait staff was exceptional. They were polite and efficient and we heard rave reviews from many of our guests. However, considering the price, the food was mediocre at best. Considering the policy that prevents us from bringing in outside catering, we were expecting much, much better... again, especially for the price.

Sent on 06/16/2013

2.4
      2.0

Our wedding is set for October 2015. At first at VanLandingham everything was smooth sailing, now our 2nd event coordinator has quit since January. The property is breath taking and decently priced. Just a little worried with how everything is going to come together since we are now 3 months out.

Sent on 07/21/2015
  • Erin

Erin · Married on 09/29/2012

2.0

Although our wedding turned out wonderfully at the Vanlandingham Estate, I was not pleased with the overall service, organization, or professionalism of the staff. The venue booked two other weddings the same weekend as ours (one being on the same day), without our previous knowledge. When I arrived at the estate on the day of the wedding I was astonished to find that another wedding was taking place at 1 PM (ours was at 6) and they were using the tent we rented and paid for, for that ceremony due to the rain. The VanLan day-of coordinator did not check in with me until 4 PM that day (I arrived at 9 AM) and was unpleasant, short, and disorganized. Luckily I had a friend helping with the ceremony planning who ended up coordinating all other day-of services that the VanLan coordinator lacked. I had originally worked with another coordinator the VanLan provided but she unexpectly left the company without informing me. I was then stuck with the person who provided the "day of" services, and she showed no interest in my vision, expectations, or me in general the months leading up to the wedding and on the wedding day itself. Luckily I had amazing bridesmaids, friends, and family to help pull off the day. If I had solely left it in the VanLandingham's hands, it would have been a disaster. I certainly recommend this venue to brides who have their own wedding planner and do no expect any help from the VanLandingham staff. The venue and estate are beautiful and the food was amazing, but for what you're paying, it may be worth looking elsewhere.

Sent on 10/12/2012

Pam · Married on 05/03/2013

1.6
      2.5

My daughter was married here in May - the grounds are beautiful and we had great weather. The days / months up to the wedding, in regards to working with the staff at the Vanlandingham Estate were less than desirable. My daughter had a difficult time getting a hold of the wedding director to make and finalize plans. A few weeks before the wedding we had a new wedding coordinator who seemed nice; however the wedding did not flow as easily as we would like. General direction and organization was missing. We hope the guest did not notice but me and my daughter did which unfortunately took away from the overall experience. It is a beautiful place and I hope they turn around soon. This was a disappointing experience.

Sent on 06/06/2013

Amy · Married on 04/27/2017

1.6
      2.0

I was very disappointed with this place. I read several reviews that noted that the quality of staff was poor; however, when I contacted them they informed me that they were aware of this issue and were working on it. I decided that the beauty of the grounds was worth a bit of hassle with the staff. I now regret this decision. They did change the wedding director a few months before my wedding and she was 100% better than the lady I was previously working with. However, I was not happy with the outcome of the wedding. The stress leading up to the event with the first wedding director (lack of response to any emails / calls) plus dealing with all of the changes that happened prior to the wedding (there were price increases) made this a very stressful event. To top it all off, the service during the reception was poor. I felt there was not enough staff to serve the number of my guest. There was also no one leading the coordination effort between ceremony to cocktail hour to reception – my mother and mother-in-law actually had to start going about and leading people to the next part of the night. When I signed I was under the impression there would be a day of coordinator. This just made it more stressful on everyone when we should have all been relaxed. The feeling of being taken care of – does not apply to this place as a wedding venue. If I had the chance to do this again; I would not pick the Vanlandingham for my wedding.

1.4
      0.5

The venue is lovely but I would not ever recommend this place to anyone. They were unprofessional, uninterested and totally unaccommodating on my day of. It rained and they refused to bring in chairs from the lawn! Never again. We were given a room for the bridal party to change in and they sent me an email the day after the wedding to charge us for dirty linens???? Linens get dirty when you use them.

Sent on 10/19/2013

1.2
      1.0

If you get married here please consider hiring a wedding coordinator and not relying on the event staff. The event staff needs a level of coordination for events such as a wedding and that was missing for my friend (i was her MOH). People were running around beforehand and food service was poor during the reception. I think having someone on hand to manage the staff would be helpful and reduce the stress of future brides.

Sent on 07/29/2013