The Salt Lick: Thurman's Mansion & Pecan Grove Reviews

The Salt Lick: Thurman's Mansion & Pecan Grove 6
The Salt Lick: Thurman's Mansion & Pecan Grove 7

Lisa V. · Married on 01/27/2019

Effortless

Our wedding day was perfect! Everything was organized well, and the venue has a breathtaking view for guests to enjoy. The staff treated us well, and they accommodated our needs and requests. We felt relaxed, and we were able to enjoy our beautiful day!

Jazmin Smith · Married on 10/28/2018

recommend!

We got married at Pecan Grove and had a wonderful experience working with this venue. This is a naturally gorgeous venue that is always well kept regardless of what season it is which allowed us to save money and keep decorations pretty simple...pretty much floral centerpieces, candles, some cute signs and family photos, done! Rachel was very responsive to all of our questions leading up to the big day and all the staff we encountered were incredibly helpful and professional. We had both the ceremony and reception here so were able to utilize the bridal suite. The space was perfect for getting ready and for being able to step away and have a quick quiet moment with my husband during the festivities. Some of our family has had salt lick bbq before so were already thrilled that they were catering, but it was a special treat for our family who came from out of town. We kept hearing how full everyone was and that they went back for 2nds and 3rds!! We actually had more food that we needed due to some last minute cancellations but they allowed us to take the rest home. being extremely picky if i had to say anything not so great... I could not for the life of me find a place to hang my gown in the bridal suite. There was a clothing rack that would fit regular length clothes but could not find a high enough hook to keep it off the ground. My guess is that maybe it was there i just couldnt find it, but if it wasnt there i would suggest they add that. I ended up handing my dress on the top of one of the french doors. It also got pretty warm in there, but not sure they could have controlled it that much as there was a lot of people coming in and out. the reception area was temp controlled and very cool though. This was the first and only venue we looked at. Love at first site! Would certainly use again in the future

Megan · Married on 05/19/2018

Our wedding at Pecan Grove was perfect! The Salt Lick team was incredibly accommodating and responsive throughout the whole planning process. Many of our guests were from out of town and we loved giving them a taste of delicious Texas BBQ. Everybody raved about how beautiful the space was and the pictures turned out gorgeous. It was truly a wonderful day!

The Salt Lick: Thurman's Mansion & Pecan Grove 13

Katie · Married on 11/11/2017

I cannot say enough nice things about Thurman's Mansion (one of the Salt Lick venues) and especially Carson Saldivar. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone. You don't have to worry about hiring a caterer as Salt Lick makes the food on-site. Many of our guests were from out of town and we loved providing them the best BBQ in the world! Our guests told us it was the best food they ever had at a wedding. The hill country views from the venue were spectacular. Carson, Adrian, and the rest of the Thurman's Mansion staff did an amazing job and worked really hard to make our wedding beautiful and easy for us to plan. They were easy going and went out of their way to accommodate all of our crazy questions and requests. We had an amazing time! Thank you Thurman's Mansion, the Salt Lick and Carson!

Rachel · Married on 10/21/2017

Thurman's was the perfect venue for us! We loved its size, the beautiful view and the well-situated ceremony site. We served their famous Salt Lick BBQ and our guests loved it! The appetizers were great, the bar package was perfect, the service was timely. I had so much fun at my wedding-they helped make it possible.

Norman · Married on 02/11/2017

My husband and I got married at the Pecan Grove on February 11th, 2017, and from this moment, I have ZERO complaints for negative comments. From the very beginning of the process of selecting the venue, the venue coordinator, Carson, was very helpful with everything. Every time my husband and i had a question, Carson made it so easy to contract her and ask her all type of questions. In her quick responses, she provided all the information we needed to know and made the process very easy. From selecting the meal option, to the layout of the chairs, Carson made it easy. I'll be honest and say getting married here is a little pricey but at the end its ALL WORH IT!! From this day, we still get told that the food, the peach cobbler the service, the drinks were ALL AMAZING! So like i said, the price is well worth it and i could see myself coming back on our 25th or 30th anniversary and celebrating it there. In conclusion...SALT LICK is the BEST BBQ JOINT IN TEXAS. So good, that my husband and i should be back there in a couple weeks just to eat the same meal we had on our wedding day.

Great service I was very happy with my wedding

Aundra · Married on 03/26/2016

A family member told us to look at this venue...This was our first wedding in our family. We live in the Dallas area.
    Thurman Mansion is a beautiful venue...The view is over looking the hill country. The food was wonderful. Many of our guest remarked about getting a beautiful place and the food was outstanding. Along with the ambience, the food, the staff was so professional throughout the whole process of our planning throughout the wedding. Jena our coordinator was always available when ever i called. She answered every email in a timely matter, offered every service and tool to see how our room could be laid out with tables and chairs. There were not any surprises with extra fees. Jena communicated well and made sure every detail was taken care of. We were very pleased.

Resa · Married on 02/26/2016

Everyone I worked with was amazing. Extremely professional and beyond helpful. The food was delicious!

Mai · Married on 09/06/2015

Our guests raves about how beautiful the venue was. A sunset in the background of the reception only added to the beauty. Of course, everyone loved the bbq. Jena was easy to work with and very responsive. So happy we chose this location

Elena · Married on 08/23/2015

Our wedding was at Pecan Grove this August, and I couldn't recommend the venue more wholeheartedly! My husband and I planned the wedding from overseas, and our coordinators were super flexible in working out the details from afar. In fact, we chose Pecan Grove because they did most of the work for us - they have a set bar vendor, plus they do set-up, clean-up, decorations, and catering (my relatives from Germany lost their minds over The Salt Lick's BBQ). Pecan Grove itself (where we had our ceremony) is even more beautiful than I realized from the photos before we arrived in person, and the glass-walled pavilion was perfect for the reception (and COOL...very important in the August Texas heat!). The event staff were all impressive professionals, not to mention down-to-earth nice people, who made the reception run like clockwork. In short, every aspect of the wedding and The Salt Lick's venue and staff exceeded my expectations, and I'd get married at Pecan Grove again in a heartbeat!

Meagan · Married on 06/07/2015

We choose to have our celebration at the Pecan Grove. Our contact with Pecan Grove was Megan Burley. She was wonderful, very sweet and responded to any questions or concerns we had promptly. She was very professional and made sure to get every detail so that the day went smoothly. We would highly recommend Megan and Pecan Grove for your special day or any event. It has a beautifully rustic decor and a nice surrounding outdoors area. We had our event catered by SaltLick BBQ and it was definitely a crowd pleaser.

Elizabeth · Married on 05/09/2015

LOVED LOVED LOVED working with The Salt Lick for our wedding. Almost two years later and people still comment on the food!! The event staff are wonderful and there to make everything run smoothly. Would definitely recommend them to anyone planning an event, especially a wedding!

Aimee · Married on 04/24/2015

The Salt Lick catered my spring wedding and the food was amazing. I heard nothing but good things from all guests, many being from out of town and enjoying Texas BBQ for the first time. I also owe many thanks to Callie, the event coordinator for the Salt Lick. She put up with me and my husband for almost a year! She had given us multiple different quotes and even had to redo our invoice a few times due to our indecision. She NEVER complained. She was great to work with! Thank you to both Callie and the Salt Lick!

Emily · Married on 04/10/2015

We did our rehearsal dinner for 60 people in the Garden Room on a Thursday night.

Getting everything set up was very easy. They were always responsive and made the process very pleasant.

The staff was great. We were winging it in terms of when we were doing speeches etc, and the staff was always checking with us on when food should come out and if we needed anything. The family style BBQ was great and they were great and making sure no one ever ran out. Everyone from out of town thought it was great.

They also packed up all the beer into coolers for us after the fact so it was easy for us. At the end of the night they sent us home with a bunch of BBQ, let guests take home anything left on their tables and gave us a very nice thank you card.

The service was very good. Food was presented in very good fasion. Everything turned out just as we expected.
    People complemented on how the food was delicious and fulfilling.
    We would strongly recommend to anyone planning the wedding.

The venue was great and the food was delicious! Carson, the venue event planner,was extremely responsive with all email/phone correspondence. She was great at explaining everything and providing options. I would definitely recommend the venue for a wedding after the experience we had.

Sierra & John · Married on 03/08/2015

I cannot say enough about how AMAZING Carson (event coordinator) and Thurman's Mansion were! Of all the days to rain, it rained on our wedding day but I did not stress one bit because Carson had everything under control and a plan B was already under way. I really wanted the outdoor wedding but the inside wedding in front of the fireplace in the mansion was more beautiful and intimate than the outdoor wedding could have ever been in my opinion. The all you can eat barbecue and peach cobbler from Salt Lick is always phenomenal and it was on our wedding day as well. The service and set up that the mansion provided was on point (everything was GORGEOUS!) and the banquet captains (Adrian and Adrian) did an excellent job making sure us and our guests had what we needed/wanted. I received and am still receiving so many compliments from everyone about how beautiful everything looked, the service that they received, and how awesome the food was. Guests have also told me that our wedding was the best wedding they have ever been to. You honestly cannot beat everything you get at Salt Lick for their prices! I would do it all over again with them any day!

Courtney · Married on 02/21/2015

We used them for our rehearsal dinner in the banquet room for 75 people. The room was huge, we added the AV equipment for our slideshow which was perfect and our waiters were on top of their game and so great! Needless to say the food was delicious, which is the whole reason my fiance wanted to use this place in the first place!

Kay · Married on 02/07/2015

Look for Carson! She was available, friendly, and very helpful. The venue itself was affordable and contained a lot of natural beauty with it's trees, creek, and rustic like design. We also had a lot of guests from out of state, so the idea of great bbq food at a reasonable price for out guests was a big plus. We love this place!

Tiffany · Married on 11/07/2014

There are not enough words to describe the fantastic experience that we had working with Carson and the rest of the staff at Thurman's Mansion. The venue is breathtaking and one-of-a-kind; a true Texas-style mansion. We didn't really have to do too much to decorate, because the venue and natural decor are so classy! Prior to the wedding, Carson was in frequent, clear communication with us and always willing to work with us and ALL of the questions that we had that were specific to our event. She was so professional and respectful that we never felt like there was anything that we couldn't ask! The staff was also extremely accommodating for our many spontaneous visits pre-wedding to walk through some additional details. The day of the wedding was FLAWLESS. It could not have been more well executed - the staff was on point with the food, service, etc. The Banquet Captain was extremely helpful when needed and our guests raved about the venue. The outside patio provides a really nice opportunity for people to flow from inside to outside so it never once felt croweded and we had 200+ attend.

I hope this review is helpful and an obvious display of our sincere happiness with our experience at Thurman's Mansion. I would not hesitate to do it all over again and recommend this venue to others.

sara · Married on 10/26/2014

Perfection. The venue is exquisite and the food, well c'mon, we all know the food was off the charts!
    The real gift was working with Carson. She is a professional and worked with the vendors as the "team leader" for the site. I was so impressed with how much she cared about every detail and her vast knowledge of events.
    I have no more weddings, but IF I did, this would be my number one choice. It is our number one referral.
    Everything was perfect, perfect, perfect....

Tara · Married on 10/04/2014

Salt Lick is our favorite BBQ and is a big reason why we decided to get married in the Driftwood area. We live north of Dallas and wanted a beautiful outdoor setting with good food. We honestly didn't even look at other catering options once our venue was booked, because we knew we loved their food, and their value is exceptional. Everyone we dealt with was professional, and one of the staff members at the wedding even made a point to visit us and offer congratulations. Salt Lick exceeded our already high expectations. We would (and do!) recommend them to anyone who appreciates good BBQ.

Samantha · Married on 09/14/2014

Pecan Grove (or, truly, either of the Salt Lick venues) is the perfect place to have a wedding. I could write paragraphs on the amazing food but I'll keep it to a few sentences. Of course, the BBQ is great. But everyone was so impressed with the passed hors d'ouevres--the chef at Pecan Grove is a master. Truly delicious stuff all around. The grounds are gorgeous. My pictures are bright green everywhere thanks to the beautiful grass. It was such a stunning place to get married. The space is large but not too large--there was room for eating, dancing, photo-boothing, and sitting for my 150+ people. There certainly could have been room for more. A lovely bridal suite and grooms room--we shared the bridal suite with the groom party after first looks and had a blast in there. I think perhaps the most wonderful thing about Pecan Grove might be Carson, the manager. She goes above and beyond to make your wedding perfect. I had a situation with a missing cake, and Carson, who's job description definitely doesn't include cake wrangling, JUMPED in and took care of everything--calling people all over the country to make things happen. And then I show up at the site for the wedding and, of course, Carson has located my cake and made sure it was there for the party. She answered every crazy question I had, and very promptly. Our wedding truly was the best day of our lives, and it is absolutely thanks to Pecan Grove. If you are debating wedding spaces, debate no more, as you have found the place: Salt Lick Pecan Grove!!