Sun Messengers Reviews

15 | Detroit, MI

15 Reviews for Sun Messengers

Maggie · Married on 11/08/2014

The Sunmessengers are hands-down the best live band in Michigan! They included the guests in their performance, kept the party going and we're extremely professional along the way! They even made accommodations so that my (the bride) best friend could sing a solo for us! They were just plain awesome and I only hope to see them perform again soon! Two of the upcoming weddings in our family already asked for their information!

Sent on 01/14/2015

We could not have asked for a better wedding band than the Sun Messengers! As soon as we got engaged, I knew they were my top choice for our music. We love their Motown/Soul vibe and were thrilled that they also brought a fantastic female vocalist for the day. The band was really tuned into the crowd and kept the dance floor full all night. And our family and friends are not always big dancers, so this was quite an accomplishment!

We also had the keyboardist play during our cocktail and dinner hours. It was a perfect accompaniment for the "quieter" parts of the reception. And the price was right! It was much nicer than putting on an iPod or something. It really lent a personal and intimate feeling to the beginning of the reception.

Throughout the planning process, Rick was helpful and responsive. He contacted me about a week before the wedding to go over the particulars. But I left most everything up to them, knowing they're the professionals. That's why you book a band like this-- so you don't have to worry about anything!

Even though the Sun Messengers were my first choice from the get-go, we looked at a few other bands in the Detroit area. Many were very talented and looked like fun, but their prices were extremely high and they needed to be booked through a central agent. I liked that we could work directly with Rick, and their price was within our budget.

All throughout the night, our guests had nothing but great things to say about the music. Many asked us where we found the band, and said it was the most fun they'd had at a wedding in ages. Our wedding was very traditional in most other respects, so I know it was the Sun Messengers that made the party so memorable for many of our guests!

If you are having a wedding in Detroit, I definitely recommend skipping the DJ and going with the Sun Messengers!

Sent on 01/13/2015

Christine · Married on 09/27/2014

I had the best experience with the Sun Messengers at my September 2014 wedding. An e-mail to Rick (the band leader) checking their availability immediately after becoming engaged is what decided our wedding date! From start to finish, they are nothing but professional and responsive. Another huge bonus is how reasonable they are compared to other metro Detroit area wedding bands. The band is beyond talented, I believe we had twelve (yes, twelve!!) band members there. Packed with powerful male and female vocals. We received so many compliments regarding the Sun Messengers during and after our wedding. I have heard the Sun Messengers play at a bar and at a few weddings, every time they are playing the dance floor is packed and a good time is guaranteed. They played the classics as well as a lot of current music so there was a very diverse mix for all ages to enjoy. They even played our wedding song AND father/daughter dance song live which was extra special. We had the Sun Messengers do a quartet during our outdoor cocktail hour which made it even more classy and special. Rick MC'd our parents, wedding party and couple introductions flawlessly. I cannot recommend the Sun Messengers enough! You cannot go wrong, I promise!!!!

Christine · Married on 09/27/2014

Kristina · Married on 08/16/2014

The Sun Messengers were fun and kept all our guests entertained and dancing all night long! Thank you for making our Wedding day so special. It was a night to remember that we will never forget :-)

Sent on 01/19/2015

denise · Married on 08/08/2014

Rick could not have been more accommodating when planning to have The Sun Messengers play at our wedding. The music was fantastic!! Of course, everyone knows that the food and the music make the wedding, and my guests still to this day talk about how great the music was. I would HIGHLY recommend the Sun Messengers for any function!!

Sent on 01/09/2015

Abby · Married on 06/07/2014

We got married in the Michigan Stadium and I can tell you that the two things people still rave about are the venue and THE BAND! The music choices resonated with all of our guests, who ranged from ages 2-89. While our families and friends aren't particularly dance enthusiasts, everyone was on the dance floor the entire night. The band itself was professional, a pleasure to work with, and exceeded my expectations. I cannot say enough good things about Sun Messengers and I highly recommend them for any/all types of events.

Sent on 01/07/2015

Rick,

Just wanted to thank you and the rest of the incredible Sun Messengers for all you did to make our special evening so magnificent. You truly blew us away song after song. I have to say your rendition of Love Me Tender would totally knock Elvis off his feet. Our guests have been raving about the magical Sun Messengers as well and for good reason!

Thank you for your enthusiasm, love, good vibes, and the encore (of course).

Katherine · Married on 09/08/2012

I cannot say enough good things about the Sun Messengers! The music was FABULOUS, and they are really quite affordable for their quality. They drove up from Detroit to Charlevoix, arrived on time, and were eminently professional. Most of all, the music was top notch. Our guests were dancing ALL NIGHT, and everyone was really impressed by the sound. They went above and beyond for us - volunteering to learn two songs for our first dance, etc. - and you never would have known they weren't originally familiar with the songs when they played them. Music is so important for the tone of the reception, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who wants their wedding to be a party!

Sent on 10/01/2012
  • Emma

Emma · Married on 03/03/2012

The Sun Messengers were such a great addition to our wedding reception! They were really flexible with our very last-minute daddy/daughter dance song changes, and they were able to play live and sing all of our requests (like the daddy/daughter, mother/son, and husband/wife dance). They had great suggestions for how to order the reception events (after all, they've done lots of weddings and I've only planned ONE!) and it went really smoothly as a result. They play long versions of each song, which keeps people out on the dance floor longer and more consistently - you aren't sitting down and jumping back up again all the time like you are with a DJ or with quicker song changes. They played a great mix of music, which is what we asked for - standards at the cocktail hour with a duo, and big band/popular-contemporary/Motown music mixes at the reception with the full band. Even though my mom had done the majority of planning/contracting with them, the band leader made a point to check with me about a few low-stress details when he arrived at the reception, just to make sure everything would go just like we wanted. We did a two long set option with a 30 minute break in-between, which gave our guests a chance to get their cake and ice cream floats and check out the photo booth. We were able to make our own country music playlist as a nod to the groom's favorite genre during the break, but the Sun Messengers will also make their own playlist for you during the break - this was just a nice option to have.

Sent on 03/13/2012

Anna · Married on 08/20/2011

The best part of my wedding! They had all the guests dancing all night long. Great variety of songs!

Sent on 04/05/2012

kristin · Married on 09/05/2009

I was so looking forward to hearing the Sun Messengers play at my reception. I heard a great demo CD of them and found a great deal for our event date to hire them through Showtime Events. Unfortunately my fiance lost his battle with cancer before we could get hitched. Thankfully, the band was kind enough to return our deposit.

Sent on 09/30/2009

Bobby · Married on 05/10/2009

They have great music. They kept everyone dancing. I loved them. I would never do it another way. They had good prices and they were flexable. It made my wedding amazing.

Sent on 05/12/2009

Stephanie · Married on 11/24/2007

They were so great! What an amazing band.

Sent on 01/30/2008

B.J. · Married on 10/25/2014

The Sun Messengers were absolutely terrific at my daughter's wedding last October. The dance floor filled up as soon as they started and stayed that way all night. Many of our non-dancing guests moved closer to the stage and simply enjoyed the concert. Everyone at the wedding is still raving about the band. Also, Rick the band leader was a pleasure to work with before and during the event. I would recommend The Sun Messengers to anyone planning an event with live music.

Sent on 03/23/2015