No Registry = No Bridal Shower? :-/
Me and my fiance have been living on our own for a couple of years and have a newborn. We really don't need any household items or "stuff" so to speak. We thought that we could just create a cash registry so that everyone could give us money that we could use towards the wedding. We only had about $4,000 saved up, then he got a new job where he's been commuting everyday for 2 hours plus tolls (so we're running out of money fast!). We figure with a cash registry it'll give us enough money to finish paying for some things at our wedding that we now don't have the money for... like a dj and caterer. But how does the Bridal Shower work then? Is it necessary and will people be mad if we just ask for money? Will people even show up? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

*Peacock*TheWifey
Married: 08/27/2011
Posted On: May 1, 2011 at 11:39 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

13 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 06/11/2011
May 02, 2011 at 12:04 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are asking for cash as well. I did not register any where. For my bridal shower we are going to paint tiles for my bbq grill that is built-in. Maybe think along these lines. Is there something in your house that you really want to change? Ask everyone who comes to the shower to chip in or do a no gift shower. We are also going wine tasting before we paint, I am asking that everyone chip in for the limo and painting. We are going to spilt it evenly. I just want some time with my family & friends. No big crazy party. Hope this helps :)

*Peacock*TheWifey
May 02, 2011 at 12:13 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks for your help! We definitely want to see everyone and my MOH is so excited to host the Bridal Shower... We are moving in the next couple of months as well (b/c of the new job) so we really don't have anything to change since we don't know where we'll be yet lol. Also, if it is a no-gift shower, do we have a couples shower? or still have it be just girls?

Married: 11/11/2011
May 02, 2011 at 12:13 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
i dont like the idea of cash i will always bring a gift. maybe make a small registry for the bridal shower little things you may want.

*Peacock*TheWifey
May 02, 2011 at 12:15 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I was also kinda hoping to get my honeymoon stuff (lingerie, corny sex joke type stuff) at the shower. I've always seen that when my family has them... but do I register somewhere for that? Or just hope someone does it?

Married: 06/11/2011
May 02, 2011 at 12:20 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
You can do only girls. if you want stuff for you honeymoon find some cute invites that would hint at that kind of stuff. I am hoping that I will some lingerie but I am not holding my breathe.

Hayley C™
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 1
May 02, 2011 at 12:22 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Lea ~ If your friends know that you are a "playful" girl, they will bring you some "fun" stuff, no need to ask. But, I usually see that stuff given as fun gifts before the bachelorette night out.

Also, Showers are to "shower" the bride with gifts. To watch her Open stuff. There is not much excitement in cards with money, and it kinda isn't the point. Has anyone offered to throw you a shower yet? You or your mother are Not supposed to host it.

If you really want Cash for a wedding gift, you should not register anyplace and not mention a shower. If someone approaches you, ask them "should I have one? I really just want $ to pay for the wedding, and don't know how to tell people that" Your family members can give you advise on what your family would think.

Also, if you want cash, let it be known by word of mouth. Tell your parents and you MOH, so when people ask "What does Lea want?" they can spread the word "Cash"

Kathleen
Married: 09/17/2011
Reviews: 5
May 02, 2011 at 1:13 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
We're in the same boat we are paying for the wedding ourselves and dont really need anything as we have a house and all the stuff in it. Becasue there are people who prefer to give gifts i just registered for some nicer things like margarita glasses and a fancy bedspread. Otherwise Im hoping we just get $$ too but then what would you do at the shower. I figure if people are gonna buy me stuff I at least want it to be something I like. I also hope my girlfriends are gonna bring me cute honeymoon gifts ;)

Married: 05/29/2011
Reviews: 1
May 02, 2011 at 9:00 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
If a family member/MOH really wants to host a shower, you can ask that it be a lingerie shower/bedroom shower (sheet sets as well as cami's, nighties, etc). By not registering (or by registering at one of those sites that set up savings accounts), hopefully your wedding guests will give you the cash you want. If your family/MOH won't be disappointed in not having the shower, I would say to go along the lines of what Hayley said.

Anonymous
May 02, 2011 at 10:09 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Just so you know, in Belgium we don't do bridal shower. If we can live without it, everybody can :-) I just wanted to say, you don't need gifts to be happy. Asking money on the other hand is very common in Belgium. Over here it means opening an account, people put money in there before the wedding. Then you send thank you notes.

*Peacock*TheWifey
May 02, 2011 at 3:10 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I really like the idea of having a bedroom shower! We do need new bedroom sets! And that way we could have a small registry at Bed Bath & Beyond or something. Also, I thought maybe a honeymoon shower would be fun as well and I'd probably get cute outfits there, too! But then I'd have to invite FH and he'd see them before they got worn :( Oh well lol

Anonymous
Reviews: 2
May 02, 2011 at 3:14 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My shower was yesterday, and FH left the room when I opened the outfits.

Shannon S.
May 02, 2011 at 3:17 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
A honeymoon shower could be fun - little outfits, sunblock, books, etc.

Or, you could do a recipe shower. Everyone brings a dish, and a recipe for the dish. It's low-cost and really fun.

Kathleen
Married: 09/17/2011
Reviews: 5
May 10, 2011 at 1:05 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I like the idea that Annelies has , I wish I could just go open a savings account and have people deposit money in there for us without all the hassle of a shower.
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct