ALLOWING GUESTS TO REQUEST SONGS AT RECEPTION
A COUPLE OF MY FRIENDS HAVE MENTIONED AT THERE WEDDING PEOPLE REQUEST UNUSUAL SONGS THAT CAUSED THE DANCE FLOOR TO EMPTY. ARE YOU ALLOWINBG REQUESTS?

Married: 01/15/2011
Posted On: Dec 19, 2010 at 9:08 AM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

5 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 10/01/2011
Reviews: 7
Dec 19, 2010 at 9:14 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
The way our DJ handles requests, is that if it is a song that fits in with our style, he will play it. If its a song he wouldn't play on his own, his assistant will find me or FH and when we have a free second, she will ask us about that particular song.

Married: 01/15/2011
Dec 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
THATS A GREAT IDEA. I DEF. WOULD NOT WANT SOME CRAPPY SONG PLAYED. I WILL ASK THE DJ TO DO THE SAME.
Dec 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
DJ's get strange requests during weddings and other events. I've had people request Simon & Garfunkel while a dance floor is packed.

When it comes to requests, we always check if it's in the DO NOT PLAY list first. If we feel the song would tank and/or if the song might be offensive, we will probably not play it. If a song doesn't "fit" what we're trying to work on (either filling or rotating the dance floor), we will write it down and check back later in the evening to "fit it" in. And, if we're not sure, we will walk up to the bride and ask. We learned never to ask the groom as for some reason, the groom always says "play it" regardless what it is, and then we get the evil eye from the girl in the white dress.

Nicci
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 5
Dec 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Our wedding was a lot of requests through our wedding website. The DJ should use some discretion if the song is an obvious no.
Secondly, if you use all caps people seem to think you are yelling and you may not get many responses since it's enough for people not to open a thread.
Good luck!

Married: 10/01/2011
Reviews: 18
Dec 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
We have a long "Do Not Play List", and thankfully the DJ will honor it. Basically, if it does not go with our style, it is not going to be played. While we are all about being good hosts and the enjoyment of our guests, both the FH and I are the kind of people where music has specific meaning and memories for us. We don't want bad mojo invading our happiness on our day.

During our dinner hour, we only want music from bands we have seen(ballads): Rolling Stones, Santana, Heart, Van Morrison, Moody Blues, Allman Brothers, Steve Miller Band, Pink Floyd. While we have not seen the Grateful Dead together(R.I.P. Jerry Garcia), our theme is a Dead song, so it will be played.
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct