Yun Gen Yang Photography

Responsiveness
Professionalism
Value
Flexibility

We had our engagement photos and our wedding day photos taken by Yun. We've gotten to know Yun and he is really nice and down to earth. He is so easy to talk to and so fun to be around. Hubby and I aren't photogenic nor good models but Yun gave good directions and made it effortless. For engagement, Yun traveled to governors island with us and for the wedding, he came with us to carl schurz park. The shots are beautiful, if only we had him as our private paparazzi everyday!!

Services Used: Photography

Yun handled both group shots and candid shots masterfully.

For the candid shots, he kept us relaxed with casual conversation, taking the pictures without even looking through the lens at times to make sure we weren't distracted by the camera. He didn't make us feel like we had to constantly strike a pose (unless we wanted to pose, of course). And he had several lenses with him at all times which he quickly and fluidly switched between to make sure he captured each moment at its best.

The group photos also turned out excellent. My family in particular always takes group shots very "seriously" (in the somber, no-smiling sense--they're Russian, after all), but nevertheless he was able to coax some smiles and genuine laughter out of them for many of the shots. In fact, to my surprise, some of my favorite shots are the ones with my family.

Services Used: Photography

Absolutely phenomenal photographer. He made us feel comfortable the entire time, was a pleasure to work with, and took incredible photos. Not only does he had a great sense of timing, he also has a great eye for lighting, color, and composition. Most of his photos stood on their own as works of art rather than just wedding photos - the types of things you would see in magazines instead of wedding photo albums. We got married in NYC around the Brooklyn bridge and he knew all of the great spots to take us to get the best pictures. I would highly recommend him.

Services Used: Photography

Best in the business. Couple friend used him for their weddings and we loved the photos, so Yun was a natural choice. Was very accomodating in terms of the package selection and hours. Made us feel at ease the entire time and took some awesome pictures of course. Would highly recommend Yun for any event!

Private User
1+ year ago

Yun did an amazing job as our engagement and wedding photographer!
From the very beginning, Yun was friendly, professional, and always
timely with his responses. During our search process, Yun took time to
personally meet us at his studio to show us some work from his
portfolio but never pressured us to hire him, although we're glad we
did! Our pictures turned out beautifully - soft, lighthearted and
romantic, and Yun was so easy to work with. We felt natural in front
of the camera under his direction and we all had a lot of fun. I would
definitely recommend Yun to any bride!

Stephanie
08/23/2013

My husband and I found Yun Gen Yang by Google searching "wedding photojournalism NYC". When we found Yun Gen's site, we knew that we had found the right photographer for our wedding. After visiting him at his Soho studio, we felt that his warm, friendly, laid back personality and crisp, colorful photography would be a great fit with our wedding party and style. During the wedding, Yun Gen and his assistant were everywhere. They were unobtrusive, and caught some beautiful, candid shots of our wedding party and guests.

Yun Gen's style is crisp, dramatic and colorful. This is not the vintage wedding look. We wanted a photographer who could capture dramatic moments, as well as poignant, intimate moments - and Yun Gen did a beautiful job with both.

Services Used: Photography

Yun was amazing! Adam and I were fortunate enough to work with Yun both at an engagement session and then again at our wedding and have the most amazing pictures! He is both fun and professional, provides direction and was always supportive of use "doing our thing". He is quick to reply to questions, concerns or suggestions and was always responsive to our ideas and quick to provide his own great ones. Our engagement session was so much fun and the pictures were amazing! We absolutely cannot wait to see the photos from our big day. We absolutely cannot say enough good things about him and can't wait to find an excuse to work with him again in the future.

Nao
04/27/2013

We immediately loved Yun from the first meeting. He is very friendly and easy to be around, which was a comfort to us, as we hired him for both our engagement photos and ceremony and reception photos. He had a lot of ideas for the portraits but could also blend into the crowd for the candid shots.

He brought an assistant on the wedding day and she was very nice and helpful too, especially as I started to cry before walking down the aisle. She happened to have a napkin when I didn't have a tissue on me!

Afterwards he was timely with the photos and very responsive whenever we had a question. The photos are beautiful and a wonderful way to remember our special day.

Anonymous
2+ years ago

I am surprised that Yun has only gotten two Yelp reviews so far since judging from his website and blog, he is super busy and has tons of fans these days!

Yun did our wedding photos back in August and I loved them! Yun is rather young and works out of a small studio in Union Square, but he is a great find. He's incredibly professional, timely, easy to work with, and has an amazing style and eye for a great photo. At times, my husband and I would just be goofing off and he would capture amazing shots.

We got our photos on a DVD with a slideshow about 2 months after our wedding. I think that is an amazing turnaround time, especially considering that we were in the peak of wedding season (August) and he goes through all the pictures and edits them. I didn't order my book through him, so I can't say how his albums are, but everything else about our photo experience was awesome!

Services Used: Photography

Absolutely loved working with Yun. He was very creative, fun, and professional!! What more can you ask for!?

Private User
2+ years ago

Yun was amazing to work with and such a nice guy. I would definitely recommend him to anyone to use. His work is unique and he is fun to have around the day of your engagement pictures and wedding.

Services Used: Photography

Yun is absolutely fantastic!!! Not to mention being a fantastic photographer, Yun is a ton of fun. We had so much fun hanging out with him on our wedding day, and our bridal party and parents kept telling us how much fun he was and how easy it was to work with him. I don't want to ignore Yun's assistant photographer, Ryan, either. He was amazing and made everyone feel super comfortable, and even helped the groomsmen pin on their boutonnieres. Both guys went above and beyond and I recommend them to anyone who wants a great photographer who is great to work with.

Services Used: Photography

Yun has this special ability to capture a moment in a way that no one else can. We used to say over and over whenever we saw new photos on his blog that he has such a great eye for these things. Even before our first meeting with him, we fell in love with his photos. Equally as important, Yun is also just one of the best people to work with. His easygoing attitude and enjoyment in his work won us over easily. He always responded quickly to emails and never left us hanging or doubtful. We couldn't wait for him to work his magic on us. He spent a whole day with us at the Bronx Zoo for our engagement shoot and helped us get out of our shells. During the wedding day itself, we barely even noticed him..and the pictures that came out were amazing! We've had so many compliments from our guests about how marvelous Yun's pictures are. We are so happy that we were able to have him as our wedding photographer. We love that we can look at his photos and relive all the liveliness, joy, love, beauty, and energy of our wedding day!

Services Used: Photography

We got referred to Yun by a friend and working with him was one of the best decisions we made! Yun is extremely easy to work with, responsive, and very professional and he also makes you feel very comfortable in front of the camera! It was an absolute pleasure working with him and words can't express how happy we are with all of the pictures!! Thank you Yun!

Services Used: Photography

Yun is a great photographer. He's definitely exceeded our expectation with the awesome shots he took of our wedding. I am fairly particular about photographs as I felt that they would be something that I will look at over and over again and I really did my research looking for photographers. I had so many compliments on our photographs and he has just the right mix of photographic artistry and photojournalism. I would definitely recommend and have him take photos of our wedding all over again!!

Services Used: Photography

My husband and I do not have enough words to describe how happy and how impressed we are with our wedding pictures and with Yun as a person. All you have to do is look at his website, his photographs "WOW" and AMAZE you. He is extremely skilled and obviously passionate about his work.

One other thing about Yun, if you are camera-shy, don't worry, he really makes you feel comfortable and easy in front of the camera.

My husband and I have decided that when we have our first baby, Yun will take our family portraits.