Dorothy Hatchel Photography

Dorothy Hatchel Photography

Photography Refined.

San Francisco, CA 94123 | map
Style: Contemporary, Photojournalism, Portraiture, Traditio...
Packages: Albums, Custom Graphic Design, Digital Files, Flush ...
Liability Insurance: Yes

Quality of Service:
Responsiveness:
Professionalism:
Value:
(4.8 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
  • Flexibility: 5.0

When I was looking for a photographer for our wedding, I wanted one who could capture the real emotions and beauty of our special day. When we first met her we could immediately tell that she was incredibly attentive - listening to what we wanted out of our wedding and quietly observing how we interact as a couple. When we shared with her our wedding theme, Eat Play Love, she got really excited. She went above and beyond to bring in our wedding theme and creativity into our engagement photos - so much so that we spent almost three hours just shooting away and having fun together (at no extra charge). We absolutely loved how these photos turned out since she captured our fun, playful spirit as a couple. As for our wedding photos, they turned out amazing! I had come down with pink eye the week of my wedding and she was able to photoshop all the photos so no one could tell! She also took great photos of our family and guests - capturing those special, magical moments as they occurred. We truly could not have imagined anyone else being our photographer for our special day!

• Wedding: 10/15/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Luckily my husband and I found Dorothy for our wedding ceremony in SF city hall. She is AMAZING!!!! She not only listens what we need, but gives us her thoughts as well. She is a well prepared photographer. We just received our finished photos last night and I love every picture she took. Dorothy also made a 2 minute highlight video, very impressed.

• Wedding: 08/20/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dorothy was the best photographer we could have asked for. First of all, she was kind and excited about our special day. It surprised me so much that she took the time to memorize an 11 page questionnaire that she asked me to fill out about family members and everything including the who, what, when, where, how, etc. of the wedding. This proved to me that my wedding was not just another wedding and that she understood m taste and the way I do things is different from other brides. This was a HUGE selling point for me. In regards to her work, she is EXTREMELY gifted. Pretty much any photographer can do a good job photographing your family and friends and the feel of an event. However, there are not very many photographers that can take engagement pictures or wedding portraits the way that Dorothy can. If you are looking for BEAUTIFUL lifetime memories to be put on your walls and shown to your kids in your married future, hire her. She is worth it!

• Wedding: 08/06/2011
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

So, I was late to both my first meeting with Dorothy and the engagement shoot. She was on time and wonderful. If I had to do it over again, I would absolutely still hire Dorothy. Except I would do it earlier (I got burned last minute by a family friend who was supposed to take engagement photos).

I cannot say enough good things about Dorothy. I haven't received my wedding photos yet, but I saw a sneak preview of one on her blog and my engagement pictures turned out so well, I am thoroughly excited to see them. The only reason why I gave 4 stars instead of 5 for value/cost was because this is the bay area and everything is stupid expensive, particularly when it's wedding related.

My ceremony location was not a common location, so I expected Dorothy to check it out before the wedding (and she did). What I wasn't expecting, but was thoroughly impressed by, was her request to come to the rehearsal the night before to see the order of service, talk with the officiant about where she could/could not be, and go through any last minute questions. I barely noticed her on my wedding day except when we were actually taking posed pictures but my bridesmaids told me she was all over the place getting pictures.

• Wedding: 04/30/2011
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dorothy and her husband Jeff are excellent photographers. She was very quick to respond, polite and direct. She shot our engagements photos and our wedding, both fantastic job. She got all the shots I asked for and more!

• Wedding: 10/03/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dorothy was amazing! She showed genuine excitement about both our engagement photos and our beautiful wedding photos. She has a great eye for the light and settings that made us look great. Her husband also joined her for the day of our wedding, and they made a great team. We received all of the photos on a DVD in a very reasonable time. Dorothy even rushed our engagement photos so that we would have time to put them in a guestbook prior to our wedding. Throughout all of this, she had a great attitude and was a pleasure to work with.

• Wedding: 09/25/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dorothy was very pleasant to work with, professional, and listened to what we said we liked. She even stayed late to get our departure photos. She sent us our pictures only one month after the wedding, which is much faster than a lot of my friends have received their pictures. And they looked amazing! I couldn't be more happier with how the pictures turned out. I can't wait to see the album!

• Wedding: 08/07/2010
  • Quality of Service: 4.5
  • Professionalism: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dorothy worked responsively to meet the needs of the entire wedding party to parents and extended family members. She met with us (the groom and the bride) countless times to go over wedding day details, to preview the wedding site, and get a feel of who we were on a personal level. She was flexible in creating breaks in her shoot time to accommodate the "dead time" in our schedule and went over the contractual time to capture each precious moment. I remember when I first met Dorothy, she offered luxury services with reasonable prices. This is exactly how it turned out to be.

• Wedding: 07/03/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I could not ask for anything better, They were amazing and will last a lifetime!

• Wedding: 07/01/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

It was so easy and wonderful working with Dorothy. She's very professional, and prompt in her correspondence. I felt completely confident in her work and didn't have to worry if the photos would come out bad. She takes absolutely gorgeous photos and we're very happy with the outcome. I did wish that we got a photo of the DIY popcorn bar before it was ransacked - but I guess people just ran to it before she was able to take a photo of it.

• Wedding: 05/22/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I loved Dorothy she was the best she did both our engagments pctures and our wedding. The quelity of the pictures were the best. Dorhty and her husband work so good with each our and now excatly what there clients want with out the clients saying anything. There main gal is to make the client happy and comfortable during the photo shot.
She so makes it easy to meet with them my husband and i are from scramento and Dorothy went around our shcedule to be able to meet with us everytime.What i also loved about her is that she looked around the area first that we told her we want to have our pictures taken for the wedding ahead of time so this way her ad her husband knew the area with out extra chargs like some other vendors i looked into. The packages are realy affordable and includes so much in it. All i have t say is that i will be using dorothy again and will be refering her to otheres.

• Wedding: 03/21/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dorothy was a delight to work with. She responded promptly to any questions or planning issues, she was flexible when our plans changed, and she was prepared, professional and efficient on our wedding day. That kind of service, coupled with the beautiful photos we received and the reasonable pricing, made Dorothy one of our favorite vendors.

• Wedding: 03/13/2010
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dorothy Hatchel is simply all-around amazing! She is everything you could ever want in a photographer and more! We were lucky enough to have Dorothy shoot our engagement pictures, and we are more than happy with the results and the experience. Every single person we have shown the pictures to have cried happy tears while looking at them! That is how good Dorothy is at capturing emotions; how happy and in love we felt that day shines through in every single picture! Dorothy also has the best eye for making beautiful shots happen naturally. We have shot after shot of classic, timeless, gorgeous pictures. Dorothy has the perfect balance between keeping things fresh and contemporary, while simultaneously making sure each picture has a timeless beauty to them. Her editing skills brought out the best in each picture and never looked over-done, but allowed her soft, warm, natural, stunningly beautiful aesthetic to be showcased. Each picture is simply perfection!

Dorothy has an unique ability to put people totally at ease, and can make anyone feel completely comfortable in front of the camera. She listens to you and is genuinely interested in your thoughts and suggestions. At the end of the day, she really wants you to love your pictures. Dorothy provided gentle guidance to help bring out our best shots, but was never over-bearing or controlling. Every suggestion she made brought about a fantastic picture! She is the type of photographer that you can totally trust to make beautiful pictures happen. She is also one of the nicest and kindest people you will ever meet! From the first email, talking on the phone, meeting at the shoot, and following up with us afterwards, Dorothy was not only professional but sincere and caring. She is very down-to-earth and easy to communicate with. She cheerfully answered all of my questions and I always felt we were on the same page. Dorothy is a true professional. She arrived on location early, started checking the weather a week ahead of time, and made every effort possible to make sure we had the best shoot. She also is extremely patient, understanding, and adaptable. For example, I forgot to put a pair of boots in the car to go with one of my outfits and my fiance had to drive back to get them which resulted in an over 20 minute delay. Not once did Dorothy look annoyed or complain, she chatted with me and even suggested some great places to try in San Francisco. Her positive attitude, even with the inconvenience, was so impressive!

She is truly a gifted photographer and a beautiful person which means her clients have the best experience possible. I wouldn't hesitate to book Dorothy Hatchel to shoot any major event in your life! It was one of the best decisions I made and can't recommend Dorothy highly enough!

• Wedding: 10/12/2009
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We are so incredibly pleased with every part of working with Dorothy and Jeff! Despite the distance between our location and theirs, we always felt at ease corresponding with them and knew that we were in good hands! After receiving our photos this weekend, we are elated with how they turned out! They captured the true emotion and happiness of our day and we couldn't be more pleased! I love the candid shots that they take as well...they are by far my favorites! Thank you so much for taking such an important part of our big day and its memory and making it seem effortless and giving us such gorgeous memories! We would DEFINITELY recommend Dorothy Hatchel Photography to other couples planning their big days...you will not be disappointed!!

• Wedding: 09/19/2009
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dorothy is beyond fantastic and a wonderful photographer! We hired Dorothy for our wedding and engagement photos about a year before our wedding date. We had met with 4-5 other photographers prior to our first meeting with Dorothy and loved her instantly and hired her on the spot! We felt like she was very reasonably priced and loved her work. Our package included an engagement shoot, and Dorothy went above and beyond to help us get the pictures we wanted--even meeting with us on separate days so we could include our favorite spots around San Francisco. She was very fun and easy to work with. She scoped out our locations ahead of time to become familiar with the area and the light. She also drove more than 2 hours to our wedding venue ahead of time to preview the setting before our big day!

On the day of the wedding, Dorothy and her assistant photographer were wonderful! Having worked with Dorothy before at the engagement shoot, and spoken with her on the phone and by email countless times before, I felt like she was an old friend on the day of the wedding! My husband and I were both totally at ease with her and commented after that we couldn't have imagined working with anyone else, because they might not have delivered the same friendly experience. The day of our wedding was incredibly hot (with temperatures over 100 degrees!!) and Dorothy and her assistant were working tirelessly to ensure we recieved all the photos we could have hoped for. Many of our guests commented that she and her assistant were "everywhere" and didn't seem to miss a single moment! We even received our full set of photos already edited less than 2 weeks later on our honeymoon!! I was thrilled with how they turned out and have a hard time picking favorites because there are so many to choose from! She captured our wedding beautifully!

I think hiring Dorothy was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding! She was always responsive and helpful and above all else extrememly professional. I loved working with many of our vendors, but Dorothy was by far our favorite!

• Wedding: 06/27/2009
  • Value: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Dorothy was a wonderful photographer and very helpful. She was easily accessible answered all questions we had. We had our engagement shoot and wedding photography, plus she came to our site early to figure out lighting and to pre-plan shots. We are very pleased with our pictures!

• Wedding: 06/20/2009