His #1 Lady
VIP April 2015

Who's DIYing their invitations? (Especially Pocket Invitations)

His #1 Lady, on December 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 31
Saved Save

I want to DIY my invitations to save money, but I have no idea where to begin. I really want to get pocket invitations. For those of you who have done your own invitations where did you buy the materials?

31 Comments

• NaShara and Milton
    VIP May 2015
    NaShara and Milton ·
    • Flag

I am ordering my pocket folds off of Amazon, designing the invitations and inserts myself and getting them printed (and possibly cut) at Staple's. My mom and I will be assembling them. Turned out to be veryyyy affordable and I get the glam invitations I want without the hefty price tag.

• FutureMrsMerritt
    VIP September 2015
    FutureMrsMerritt ·
    • Flag

I wanted to DIY my invites too but I found vistaprint a lot cheaper then buying the materials and making it all. If you still want to though try hobby lobby or Michael's, there's lots to choose from!

• Christine
    Devoted May 2015
    Christine ·
    • Flag

You can buy digital designs for like $5.00 too on Etsy if you're not a graphic design pro and instant download them and then get them printed at staples or where ever.

• Stephanie
    Devoted April 2015
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

I ordered all my pocket invitations, rsvp and mailing envelopes, and even my prints from cardsandpockets.com. It is really good quality stuff, I think it is pretty cheap price wise and you can literally send them a file of your invitation you create and they will send you print samples and everything Smiley smile

• Soon_To_Be_MrsK
    Devoted December 2014
    Soon_To_Be_MrsK ·
    • Flag

I got everything I needed from CardsandPockets.com They are seriously the best company there is for pocket invites. I don't have a finished photo of mine on this computer (I'm at work) but can post this evening. My inspiration for invitations was $900 and I ended up spending $250 for 60 invitations WITH postage!!! I needed one stamp for the rsvp card and 2 stamps for the invite (which was $88 right there!) I saved a TON of money! And I have gotten so many compliments on my invitations!!

• Emmy
    Master January 2015
    Emmy ·
    • Flag

I designed mine myself and got them printed locally (the invite and 2 enclosures) and then bought the pocketfold & envelopes from cardsandpockets.com. I just mounted the invite on the pocket fold myself it was super easy. Total before postage was $150 for 115 pocketfolds and 3 envelopes (inner, outer & rsvp) and $105 for printing 130 sets (invite, and 2 enclosures) I definitely recommend going that route if you are like me and design detail oriented, a local shop will give you more control of how your final pieces look.

• Elyse
    Master September 2015
    Elyse ·
    • Flag

@Emmy, what did you use to mount the invite? I think I am going to use cardandpockets, maybe buy a design from etsy and my dad is a printer. We haven't decided yet on what type of adhesive to use.

• jane
    Expert March 2015
    jane ·
    • Flag

I'm thinking of using Cards & Pockets. For those who went this route, how did you mount the invite? Did you buy their glue or did you use glue dots? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pay them as I have no scrapbooking experience.

• Elyse
    Master September 2015
    Elyse ·
    • Flag

@jane, we are on the same page haha So far my dad suggested double sided tape or that gummy glue that attaches like credit cards to paper when they come in the mail.

• Julia
    Dedicated April 2015
    Julia ·
    • Flag

I got a kit from Micheal's . I had a 40% off coupon so there were next to nothing. All I had to do was go online to the website the kit provided and put in our info, then print them.

• Stephanie
    Devoted April 2015
    Stephanie ·
    • Flag

Ok, this is about to be a long comment but i promise there is a point lol

Do you remember that white out tape? that had that little point and you just rolled it out with that plastic contraption and it did white-out in strips? ... They have something just like that but with glue!

The lady that made my photobooth guest book sent me one, and they sell them in Office Depot/Staples for like I wanna say $4. That way you can get super close to the edges when you are mounting them so nothing flaps up.. and it really holds well too!

• Emmy
    Master January 2015
    Emmy ·
    • Flag

I used scrapbooking adhesive from hobby lobby. I was able to use 40% off to get the main tool. I under estimated how much I would need so I had to go back for the refill pack but I could use another 40% off. So it worked perfectly

• Elyse
    Master September 2015
    Elyse ·
    • Flag

Awesome!! Thanks ladies.

• jane
    Expert March 2015
    jane ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the glue ideas and thank you to HisLady for starting this thread. If anyone has photos of their invitations, please share. I'm still overwhelmed.

• His #1 Lady
    VIP April 2015
    His #1 Lady ·
    • Flag

Thanks ladies for all of this information. How did you print on the cards that you mount to the invitation?

• Jillian
    Master May 2015
    Jillian ·
    • Flag

There are kits from michaels that you can get with coupons. HOWEVER - this is my advice: I looked into DIY pockets to save money and make them how I wanted. I found exclusivelyweddings.com had a couple options for pocket style that are very affordable. They always have coupons off (if they don't wait a week and they will). We got 100 pocket style invites with thermography (raised printing) for 200.00 after 20% off. They come with three insert cards and the pocket envelope. The RSVP card is in the form of a post card, but I just didn't have them print our address because we may be moving, so I will buy envelopes to put in with them. I think they are a really nice invite and the pocket fits in a 5x7. The post office said they will cost 0.97 each because they can't run them through the machine (the invite comes with a bow you can tie on the front, but if you didn't want a bow you can do something else with it making it flat and cheaper postage). I would at least check them out and order a free sample before making a final decision!

Edited to add: When I priced out what things would cost me it would've been around $150 or something, however for the hassle to not have to spend forever making each thing, it was worth to spend the little extra and have them all done, plus FH loved the raised printing

here are the ones I got but they have a couple different ones I think

http://www.exclusivelyweddings.com/Weddings/Wedding-Invitations/Wedding-Invitation/Pocket/Love-Story-Wedding-Invitation

• M
    Devoted December 2014
    Marie ·
    • Flag

I purchased mine on cardsandpockets.com

You can get precut items from them with templates or search online for templates and cut your own from card stock. Just research pinterest, wedding bee and other craft sites for info. Good luck!

• Summyya
    Super May 2015
    Summyya ·
    • Flag

I bought a box from Michaels as well, 100 invites for $11 with a coupon. For the ladies that are printing there own thru kinkos/fedex how much did it cost?

• His #1 Lady
    VIP April 2015
    His #1 Lady ·
    • Flag

Did all of you just take them somewhere to be printed, or did you buy a flat card that was already printed and mount it to the invitation?

• Emmy
    Master January 2015
    Emmy ·
    • Flag

I sent the PDF design to get printed rather than bringing my own paper. Printing companies should have a wide variety of weights and colors of paper for printing. I saved money by doing it that way, they could print multiples on a sheet and cut them down. It would have been more expensive giving them my own paper pieces pre-cut

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics