Lynnie
WeddingWire Administrator October 2016

Where in the world...?

Lynnie, on November 27, 2018 at 11:05 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 24
Saved Save

Where in the world has your love story taken place? We want to hear all the details of your most memorable moments! Smiley heart

love+story+map++paperPlanePrints+on+Etsy

Image from PaperPlanePrints on Etsy

Ready? Click on the linked discussions below and share your answer in each post:

✈️ Where did you meet your future spouse?

✈️ Where was your first date?

✈️ Where did you go on your first trip together?

✈️ Where was the proposal?

✈️ Where are you taking your engagement pictures?

✈️ Where are you getting married?

✈️ Where are you stashing your wedding stuff?

✈️ Where are you getting ready?

✈️ Where are you going on your honeymoon?

✈️ Where will you live together?

giphy.gif

24 Comments

• Marjorie
    Just Said Yes June 2019
    Marjorie ·
    • Flag

My fiance and I have known each other since 8th grade in New Jersey. We went to school together. When we got to High School we dated off and on, but were really just great friends. After school we decided to try dating again and we were really in love. Then he went into the Vietnam war and life changed. When he returned from the war, he was not ready to get married, so we went our separate ways. We saw each other here and there as we lived in a small town. We both got married and moved away. After I got divorced, we met up again and he was still married, but that feeling was still there. Down the road - 40 years later, Ron found my profile on Classmates.com for our HS 40th reunion and realized he wanted to find me and see what was going on. So now we both were divorced, my husband #2 passed and Ron did some digging and found me on FaceBook. We talked about our lives - he was divorced and open to pick up where we left off. We met for the first time in those 40 years and darn if that spark was on fire then! We were still in love after all that time. We talk about that first day and how we realized that we needed that journey to understand what real love is. It was magic! We made a pack that in 5 years we would become one. That will be June 15, 2019. And we are so excited! Just a few friends and family and just an easy party. I am calling it an I DO BBQ! (Thanks Pinterest!) Can't believe this is really happening! The story is just beginning! Cheers to mature love!

• Philippe's & Racheal
    Dedicated August 2020
    Philippe's & Racheal ·
    • Flag
    My fanice find me on POF dating website and messaged me and I give me my number we would text and talk on the phone off and on until October 3rd 2011 was our first date we met each other in person on that night he came and picked me up at my home in goodlettsville at the time. I was very nervous the first time I saw him in person but he put me at ease by introducing himself to me first and shook my hand. Our first date we went to panrea bread in Nashville. We hit it off at dinner and then we went to the movies I asked him for a kiss to see if the sprank was there like I was feeling and it was. I told him if he wanted me to be his girlfriend then to ask me now and he did. Our first trip was to the beach in FL my first time on the beach. We where in the Bahamas on the cruise ship in our room until time for a show we where going to later on I fell asleep next to him while he was rubbing my back he had opened the box put the ring at my head and that's what I woke up to it took me a min to see what it was but when I was what it was I guess my reaction was funny because he was laughing and said will you marry me! I looked at him for a min and then I said yes! We had been together for 6years before he asked it was 2 months before our seventh year anniversary. We are getting married in Gallatin TN. We started living together at 4month mark in our relationship. We are both very excited about it
  • Kesci
    Beginner June 2019
    Kesci ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This sounds a lot like my story. My fiance and I met over 40 yrs ago as teens. We became friends, we liked each other but he knew that he would not be exclusive with me, so we didn't pursue it. Fast forward, after living 2 seperate lives, 6 adult kids between the 2 of us, a failed marriage under my belt, we decided to date 8 yrs ago. We became engaged April 21, 2018. Our wedding will be
    June 22, 2019
  • A
    Dedicated June 2019
    Andrea ·
    • Flag

Our story is magical and nothing short of miraculous... we were high school sweethearts - 45 years ago! After high school, we went our separate ways to different colleges, entered marriage, had children, those marriages ended, we re-married someone else - those ended...and then, after all that time, I was living in Ecuador. I thought I'd be there forever and was very engaged in the culture and the music community there. One evening, as I was getting ready to go to China to teach, I took a break on Facebook and discovered some page I never knew existed. There, I found about a dozen or so messages to me I'd never received - some were over a year old! One of those messages was a comment to a mutual friend's posting many months earlier that I'd never seen. My FH saw my reply to our mutual friend, and he replied to my response, wondering what I was doing or where I was after all these decades. He was living and working in the PNW. I hesitantly responded to his message (he was thinking I'd not seen the message or chose not to respond from months earlier). We began very tentatively, considering the unbelievable way we connected, and one thing led to another. Soon, we were messaging, emailing, calling, Skyping, then once or twice a day - for months. I didn't see how I could leave the situation I was in because I loved it so much. We also were very careful to make sure that we weren't just trying to re-live our relationship from so long ago. But soon, it was clear we needed to connect in person. On one trip home from China, I stopped in Portland, OR and he met me there. That was a blissful, heavenly 5 days of incredible connection. When we parted, I knew that I needed and wanted to be with him forever! We saw each other several times in person over the next months and it just became clearer and clearer - we were meant to be together. He was still working however and not retired yet, so I'm the one who made the decision to move to where he was. I haven't regretted the decision once. It was bittersweet to leave Ecuador but every day becomes richer and more wonderful. It just keeps getting better. We are getting married (in Portland) June 8, 2019. Our families are so happy for us. There is MUCH more to this story, but it is truly a very special love story!!!

• Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

We met when I was 15 and he was 20, back in 1985. He had casually dated my friend. He and I clicked immediately. She ended up going back to her boyfriend and cleared the way for he and I to date. I liked him the second I met him. He told me he liked me and I just thought as a friend. He looked at me and said "no, I LIKE LIKE you" I said OH and he kissed me. We dated for about six months but he left for the navy. I was young and he was gone so we broke up on great terms. We both married and divorced other people but thanks to Facebook we connected as friends for a couple of years, then he just told me he was taking me to dinner and we've been together since. He proposed 7 months later. Neither of us thought we'd ever marry again!

• ROCIO
    Just Said Yes August 2019
    ROCIO ·
    • Flag

Funny story I guess he had put an ad on a dating web site saying that he was homeless and that he needed to get off the streets .I answered the ad after praying about it for a week contacted him and we started talking for a month and we both agreed that we should pray about it while still talking with each other and after a month I told him that he should come and he did with a day of me telling him that he should come .He did a lot of observation at first and then that is when he stepped in and starting helping me with my daughter and at that point we were roommates and he didn't want anything in return because LIKE ME he had been hurt so bad so he was taking his time.It was like 2 months ago that he realized that he couldn't live without me and that he loved me so much and he wrote a letter to me asking me to marry me. I LOVE HIM SOOOOOOO MUCH.Now we want to starting our lives together as soon as he gets home and I PRAY THAT HE WILL GET HOME BEFORE CHRISTMAS as his birthday is the day before Christmas. We met in Oregon.

• J
    Dedicated December 2018
    Jack ·
    • Flag

My fiancée and I started dating when I was in Sydney and she was in Columbus, Ohio. About a month later, she moved to Austin, Texas to start grad school. I flew over to meet her that Christmas. We met for the first time in the Dallas Airport and drove back to Austin together.

Several months later, she came to visit me in Australia. We explored all over Sydney, and took trips to the Great Barrier Reef and to a family cabin in the Snowy Mountains. I again flew to America to see her in late August & early September - this time we went all over the greater Los Angeles area (Thousand Oaks, Newport Beach, Silver Lake, Malibu) to meet her mom, brother, uncle, aunts, and cousins.

Our next trip was around Asia that December & January. On this trip, I proposed over dinner in Beijing. We also spent Christmas with her dad in Korea and attended my brother's wedding in Taiwan. This was our hardest goodbye, in part because it was so abrupt - I had gotten a single-entry visa to China, and my flight added a layover in China without informing me, so they wouldn't let me on the plane. I came to Austin to visit my fiancée again in April & May of that year to watch her graduate with her master's - our last trip as a long-distance couple. We visited her home in Columbus, and I met her other brother and some of her friends. We also spent a few days visiting mutual friends in Chicago before returning to Texas.

My fiancée moved to Sydney in late August of last year, a little over two years after we began dating. Most of that time has been spent settling her in with finding a job, getting her visa organised, and planning our wedding. We did take a trip to Hawaii with my family in January & February of this year, visited Melbourne as well, and we'll be going back to the Great Barrier Reef for a mini-moon right after the wedding.

• Sarah
    Expert November 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    We met on tumblr. I was in Florida he was in Illinois. Then I moved to Tennessee two years after we met. We started dating after I was in Tennessee for a year. Two month later I moved to Illinois with him! Been together for 5 years I think. When we met and when we started dating sometimes meshes together and I can’t remember
  • Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

We met at a community center dance in 1985 when I was 15 and he was 20. We dated for about 6 months and only broke up because he left for the navy and I was still in high school. We went on to marry other people, and then found each other on Facebook in August 2013 and were friends for a few years then in April 2017 he called and told me he was taking me to dinner and he jokingly said he wasn't taking no for an answer. I went and we've been together since. He proposed 7 months after and here we are!

• E
    Erika ·
    • Flag

We met while both working at a camp in Grass Valley, CA. That was 2 going on 3 years ago. We have been doing long distance since I live in Wisconsin and he lives in California and goes to school in South Carolina.

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Aww, Marjorie, your love story is so amazing! Smiley heart It sounds like you two were meant to be together! I'm so glad you've found each other again and are taking the next step together! Is June 15 the day when you met back up after all those decades? Is that why you chose it as your wedding day?

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is an inspiring story, Rocio!! I love how, by opening your house to him, you also opened your heart to him! I'm glad that he's so good to you and your daughter and I hope that he'll be home before Christmas! Thank you for sharing your story with us!! Smiley heart

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

How neat, Erika!! Will you be having any camp-like aspects in your wedding, seeing as you met at a camp?

• E
    Erika ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes, we are getting married at the YMCA to keep the camp theme going!

• Frances
    Beginner May 2019
    Frances ·
    • Flag

We met in middle school in our 7th grade class and we became best friends years later when I was leaving to go off to school in Missouri she decide she should kiss me an every since then this has been a love story that keepsgrowing we have now been best friends 17 years and we have been together 3 years. She proposed last Christmas.

• Emma
    Savvy November 2019
    Emma ·
    • Flag
    I’ve lived in the UK all my life and my fiancé moved around a lot, and had just moved to London. We met at Winter Wonderland in 2014 through mutual friends and then became really good friends! In July of 2015 we took a trip to the US and did a road trip from NY to FL with some friends for a few weeks. After this we realised we were more than friends and started dating! He moved back to America and lived in NC in Jan 2016 and we’ve done long distance since then. He’s moved around more since, and is now living in TX. When I visited him in November 2018 we went to the Fort Worth Water Gardens where he proposed to me with his great-grandmothers ring (I LOVE IT) on 4th November! We are having a party in England in May 2019 like a “pre-wedding” and then I’ll be moving to America in October and we will get married in NC on 9th November 2019!!
  • Mrs. Cohen
    Super October 2018
    Mrs. Cohen ·
    • Flag

Aw I love this post, yay Smiley smile

✈️ Where did you meet your future spouse?

My husband and I met on TINDER lol! But we've quickly learned that we've quite literally passed by each other hundreds of times throughout our lives, all around Los Angeles and Ventura County!

He picked me up from my house (even though I was slightly nervous he'd end up being a murderer lol) and took me to a brewery/restaurant for dinner. We had such great conversation (we talked for 3 hours) that we continued our date across town at my favorite dive bar, where we flirted, shared jokes, and even sang karaoke! It was a great night.

✈️ Where did you go on your first trip together?

Four months after being officially bf/gf, he planned a big road trip where we went hiking at the Grand Canyon for 2 days, explored Monument Valley for 2 days, and ended with a few nights of fun in Las Vegas! This was when I knew I would marry him; we spent approximately 31 hours in the car together (7 days), and we never got sick of each other. We had such a great time and this is a trip I think of frequently.

He proposed at sunset in Joshua Tree National Park. It was a beautiful viewpoint where Joshua Trees surrounded us, but we could see the lights of Palm Springs down below, and we had the viewpoint all to ourselves. It was seriously so perfectly magical Smiley heart

✈️ Where are you taking your engagement pictures?

We took our engagement photos at Vasquez Rocks State Park, located in the outskirts of Los Angeles. We wanted our photos to be in an unusual desert-like landscape. They came out perfect!

We got married at a magical venue called The 1909 in Topanga, Ca (near Malibu).

Wedding stuff consumed our house and my parents house before the wedding. Now afterwards, we still have boxes of stuff everywhere it seems lol

Our venue had a gorgeous bridal suite, so we got ready there Smiley smile

We took a road-trip style honeymoon (we LOVE road trips and the desert) to Tucson, Arizona where we relaxed in a casita suite at The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain for an entire week, explored Saguaro National Park East & West, enjoyed local cuisine and breweries, basked in the sun with cocktails by the pool at the resort, and relished the experiences we had at the spa. It was perfect in every way.

We've been living in beautiful San Luis Obispo, Ca where we rent a quaint little townhome (we've been living together for 3.5 years even though we've only been married 2.5 months). We are looking to move out of state or a different area in California and hope to purchase our own home before the end of 2019! Yay for goals!

• Charley
    Just Said Yes September 2019
    Charley ·
    • Flag

I wish I had some super cute love story, but unfortunately that doesn't happen for all of us. My fiance and I met three years ago in an online dating app. At first, I wasn't very interested because I had a "type" and he wasn't really it. However, it had been a while since I'd been with anybody and he seemed to be a genuinely sweet person, so I agreed to let him take me to a hotel to have some personal time. That night, I started my time of the month because mother nature knows exactly when to get things going (insert sarcastic laugh here). He didn't complain, didn't make a big deal about it, went out and bought me tampons and dinner, came back to the hotel room and cuddled me all night. The next morning he thought I was asleep and kissed my forehead before going downstairs to get breakfast for me. I knew then and there that this was the man I wanted to marry. Because I didn't think that I would need a change of clothes other than my pajamas, he took me out and bought me a new outfit so I would feel good for our date that day. But while we were in Walmart, we decided that a picnic would be better than any restaurant, so we grabbed a bucket of Walmart chicken and drinks and headed back out to the truck. We never left that truck and never made it to the park because we got to talking and didn't stop for 6 hours until it was time to take me home.

Since then we have moved in together, had a baby together, and gotten engaged. I love this man as much now as I did the first day. And that will never change.

• Future_Mrs.concanon
    Devoted April 2019
    Future_Mrs.concanon ·
    • Flag
    Where did you meet your future spouse?
    Work

Hotel we ordered take out and just had a night to ourselves

✈️ Where did you go on your first trip together? No where yet

Hospital

✈️ Where are you taking your engagement pictures? Didnt take any pictures

Pittsburgh

My moms house

Probably at the place where the ceremony and reception will be held

Home

Somewhere in Pittsburgh we're not sure where we're moving to yet but looking for houses currently.
  • Kyleah
    Super March 2020
    Kyleah ·
    • Flag

My fiancé and I met in Madison, Wisconsin when we were 16! It was by chance that we met in the mall while we were both with groups of friends. We just "happened" to be going in and out of the same stores. I was really shy at that age so I asked my friend to get his phone number for me and thankfully he obliged!

Almost 5 years later and we're about 1 year away from say "I do!"

I got a "Journal of Us" book off of Amazon this week and I started filling it out (I plan on giving it to him on our wedding day in addition to my vows) and it has been the most fun reflection tool! I found myself smiling back at memories I had totally forgotten (like our second date, which cracks me up every single time or the time that we were hanging out and he my sweater got caught in his braces and it actually snapped a wire so he had to make an emergency dental visit...lol)!

Comment on this discussion