FutureMrsMerritt
VIP September 2015

What color should my wedding band be and should i get diamonds?

FutureMrsMerritt, on November 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM Posted in Planning 0 25
Saved Save

So I thought I had my wedding band picked out but I am having doubts. I took pictures with some rings I already have to try and compare what I like. I have always imagined a gold/rose gold band however my e-ring is silver with black diamonds so I don't know if it will look weird or compliment my already "unique" looking ring. The FH said he pictures me in something with more diamonds however I already have three rows of diamonds I don't know if it is to much. So my question is should I go with a plain band? If so, which color ( rose gold, gold, or silver)? If I should get diamonds with it, which color band would you pick?? The first picture is my Engagement Ring. Second one is what it is like with diamonds ( i will get them much smaller though so it isn't goofy looking). Comparison bands in the comments. ( please don't judge I know it looks kind of silly, its the best I can do right now lol)

25 Comments

• FutureMrsMerritt
    VIP September 2015
    FutureMrsMerritt ·

The comparisons: First one: rose gold...... Second: Silver...... Third: Gold.

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·

I think the silver actually looks best especially because the part holding your center stone is silver, it looks a little off if you have a different color. If you do go with the diamonds then definitely smaller ones like you said, it's hard for me to imagine it though. I think if it's a thin band with small diamonds it would look pretty, otherwise a more simple silver band looks nice.

• FutureMrsMerritt
    VIP September 2015
    FutureMrsMerritt ·

Thankyou! That is exactly what I was thinking. It was hard for me to envision too, my pictures helped a little, but not that much. I just don't want to order a band and then be disappointed!

• Monana
    VIP May 2015
    Monana ·

I also agree with the silver.

• Nicoletta
    Super January 2015
    Nicoletta ·

I imagine something like a pave/channel band under your ring, something really thin, kind of the band in my picture.

• KarenM
    Master November 2014
    KarenM ·

I like the silver, but if your budget affords it, go with white gold. Also, again if you can afford it, I would go with a thicker mm band.

• Caylin C.
    Master August 2015
    Caylin C. ·

I think the silver looks best, but agree with Karen that if you can afford it go with white gold.

• R
    Just Said Yes November 2014
    RN Bride ·

Have you looked for a band with both color diamonds? That is what mine looks like and I love them together.

• Staci
    Master September 2014
    Staci ·

My coworker has a gold ering and a white gold band. It was a little odd at first but it grew on me. Pick whichever one you like.

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·

I don't think silver is a good option for a long term piece of sentimental jewelry. It is a very soft metal that is prone to scratches, dings, and changing shape over time. Its finish also wears off and changes very quickly. I would do white gold if you can afford it.

• JaKLyn
    Master November 2015
    JaKLyn ·

I would do a thin silver or white gold band (if it's in the budget) with small diamonds. I've seen bands before where the diamonds alternate between black and clear to match the engagement ring. I've also seen people do thin bands with their FH's birthstone.

• M
    Master December 2014
    Melissa ·

Was there a matching band for your e-ring? If not I think the one that matches best is the plain silver one. The colors don't go with your e-ring.

• M
    Master May 2014
    MizizAngi ·

Get a band in white gold with diamonds that looks like the center strand in your e-ring.

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·

I think the silver/white gold looks the best.

• FutureMrsMerritt
    VIP September 2015
    FutureMrsMerritt ·

Thankyou everyone! I am going to try on bands today to get a feel for what I want to order. I heard white gold isn't the best unless it is 10 karats or less and that it easily scratches. I figured sterling silver wouldn't do that. I don't know much about metals, but does anyone know the difference? I hear people rave about white gold, but my mother thinks I should stay away from it.

• E&J
    VIP October 2015
    E&J ·

Sterling silver might not scratch, but it will tarnish. I've always heard/read that 14k or 18k white gold are good options. You might need to have them replated occasionally, but that's not usually a big deal. If you don't want to deal with that and you still want something silver-colored, you can do platinum, but it's expensive.

• edkeller33
    Devoted September 2015
    edkeller33 ·

I would do the stierling silver color with no diamonds. Your engagement ring is so intricate and pretty. I think a plain band would be best (and you'll also save a few dollars, if that matters)

• The Mrs R
    Master May 2014
    The Mrs R ·

My e-ring and wedding bands are 14kt white gold. I don't have any issues with them. I've had my e-ring for over 2 years now and did get it redipped for the wedding, but only because it was free and I figured why not, it'll look perfect with my bands. I agree with MizizAngi with what I think would look best.

• Rachel DellaPorte
    October 2019
    Rachel DellaPorte ·

Your engagement ring is screaming out for a coordinated band. Rose gold and yellow gold won't work with your unique engagement ring. Build on the engagement ring -- it is so unique, but still so obviously an engagement ring. You should begin searching for a black metal band with black diamonds or white diamonds, or a white gold band or silver band with only black diamonds. Just google "woman's black diamond wedding band silver or white gold". I'm a fan of a thicker band than the ones you've posted. The possibilities are endless. I saw a few pave settings in white gold with black tiny diamonds that I would have already ordered if I were you. That's the type of band that is going attract countless inquiries and compliments about your gorgeous set.

• FuturemrsDickinson
    VIP July 2015
    FuturemrsDickinson ·

I kinda like the sterling sliver but agree it needs to be white gold so it won't tarnish. I do love what RN bride has which is a matching band. You really need a matching band.

Comment on this discussion