Kyle
Super May 2019

Wedding Shower Planning

Kyle, on June 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM Posted in Planning 0 9
Saved Save

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm a former groom who is about to start planning a shower for some close friends. They're a mid-twenties gay couple who live and are getting wed in the Dallas TX area followed by a honeymoon in Hawaii. Their major hobbies/interests are escape rooms, their giant dog "Ever", zoo animals, basic carby foods (pizza, grilled cheese, breadsticks, chicken fingers), game nights, movie watching, and other normal low-key/low-maintenance type activities. The shower will be about 30 male and female adults.

They have indicated that they'd love a stock-the-bar party.

I'm full of ideas, but I'd love to hear what made or would make or break YOUR dream shower. Thanks so much in advance!

9 Comments

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·

I am not 100% sure on this, but I am pretty sure stock the bar parties aren't supposed to be to collect booze for the reception. I think they are more like housewarming.

• BlueHenBride
    Master March 2017
    BlueHenBride ·

So, I'm okay with stock the bar parties if it's to stock the couple's private home stash. If it's to supply alcohol for their reception, then they're asking you to ask their wedding guests to pay for the alcohol for the part of the wedding that is supposed to be a thank you to their guests for coming to witness their wedding, and that's all sorts of tacky and rude.

My BMs did throw me a lingerie shower and knowing that grilled cheese is also one of my favorite foods, they made mini grilled cheeses as appetizers. They cut larger ones into quarters (triangle shaped) and had two different types.

• Kyle
    Super May 2019
    Kyle ·

Oh, I'm sure they're often used for house warming also. And I suppose the guests need not know where the liquor is going...but it's certainly something to think about. Thanks for commenting OG!

• Kyle
    Super May 2019
    Kyle ·

Thanks for the feedback, @BlueHen. And the mini grilled cheeses sound great!

• Christina
    VIP September 2017
    Christina ·

Agree with PP about stock the bar. I know you didn't directly ask, but maybe a Hawaiian themed shower would be fun since they are going to Hawaii for their honeymoon. I haven't had my shower yet and I have no idea about anything except when and where so I have no input on what I love or hate. Lol

• Kyle
    Super May 2019
    Kyle ·

I love that idea, @Christina. I've been trying to think of how to make a Hawaiian theme not seen like a kids luau, so let me know if you have any brilliant ideas. I thought about spray painting some pineapples silver or gold for decorations. Any other creative thoughts?

• Helena Handbasket
    Master February 2016
    Helena Handbasket ·

What about "game date nights" for the two of them? GC for restaurant(that delivers) with a board game for two and a bottle of their favorite wine?

As for the party decor the Hawaiian theme with just straight up fruit and candles as centerpieces, paper lanterns for lighting and drinks with umbrellas.

• EngineerInLove
    VIP September 2018
    EngineerInLove ·

Stock the bar rather than typical shower gifts? Sure.

As far as a great shower, do they want the typical shower games like "groom or groom" (or "bride or bride", can't tell from your post) and a mimosa bar? Or would they rather a laid back BBQ atmosphere with lawn games and kegs? Or something in between?

If I were to have a coed shower thrown for us I would lean toward a BBQ without structured games and lots of good (catered!) food and lots of local beers to taste, maybe growlers.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie Online ·

If they're into games then I'd definitely do a trivia style "how well do you know your fiance" game! At the couple's shower I went to they sat back to back and each had a mini chalkboard to write down their answers. You can go through some cutesy stuff like 'where did you meet?' and 'what was your first date?' and then throw in some funny stuff as well!

My personal favorite questions have been 'what was your fiance's high school AIM screenname?', 'what is your fiance's cell phone number?', and 'what article of clothing would you throw out from your fiance's closet?'

Comment on this discussion