Taylor
Devoted August 2013

Wedding Favors: Painted Cork Coasters?

Taylor, on May 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 18
Saved Save

Ok, I am not big on wedding favors, I think most are a waste of money so I don't want to spend a lot of money on something people wont use. So I was thinking getting a semi thick cork sheet and cutting coasters out of it, painting something on it, maybe a couple chevron patterns and a couple with our Date and maybe 1 with our initials, monogram style, and put them in a pack of 4 with ribbon and have 1 per household. Also maybe hand stamp a washer with "R T 8.10.13" on it and tied to the ribbon around the coasters. This will be fairly cheap, and something people can use... Our wedding is at a ranch and very rustic so I think it would go decent.. can you give me any opinions? Or should I just do whatever the heck I want and not stress what other people think. The big day is getting close so Im getting a little stressed out.

18 Comments

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

I like those and they are useful. I'd say stick to the chevron pattern.

• MrsO
    Master May 2012
    MrsO ·
    • Flag

If you choose to do them, don't make them personalized. Like Reenski said, just stick to the chevron pattern (or think of another pattern to complement it if you want variety).

While I might use the coasters if they are well done and cute, I would never use them if they have someone else's initials and/or wedding date on them.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

Ditto MrsO.

If you want something really simple though, put some Hershey kisses in a box with a tag (love is sweet) and be done. Edible favors go over well.

• Taylor
    Devoted August 2013
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

Good idea on the personalization. Im very crafty and don't do things half assed so they WILL be done well, I'm determined! But would adding a washer with hand stamped initals be ok? or should I just leave that completely out, or maybe just do "LOVE" on it...?

I HATE candy favors. They are so pointless to me :/ and kind of tacky...

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

I love candy. It's delicious. Smiley smile

Do you mean a washer to loop through the ribbon holding them together? That's fine, but to be honest, they'll likely be thrown out so I would consider that in taking the time to make them.

• Taylor
    Devoted August 2013
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

Like this but just as a charm so they can add it to something like keys or whatever...And just wrap the coasters in ribbon like you would a present but put the washer in the bow. Or is that just pointless and a waste of money and time?

• Candice B.
    Master July 2013
    Candice B. ·
    • Flag

I'd just stick to the non personalized coasters

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

Waste of time and money, methinks. I'd throw something like that out, I have enough keychains as it is. Smiley smile Especially if you stamped it with ya'lls initials. Keep it simple for yourself and stick with just the coasters with a nice bow.

• Cheetah2B
    Master June 2014
    Cheetah2B ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't do the washers. I'd just get the little thank you charms from the wedding aisle at Michael's or hobby lobby.

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

Or free business cards from VP?

• Taylor
    Devoted August 2013
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

Good idea Cheetah2B, I think I will do that. And NO initials, just pretty patterns Smiley smile

That is also a good idea, just type something up in the business cards saying thank you?

• FinallyDoingIt
    Master July 2014
    FinallyDoingIt ·
    • Flag

They are cute but I'd rather have chocolate. =) Definitely don't personalize them. I love the chevron print.

• Just Reenski
    Master December 2012
    Just Reenski ·
    • Flag

Pretty much. Do you happen to need any other wedding stationery? If so, we can get you a better deal (programs, menu cards, thank you cards, etc.)

If not, this is the link to get free business cards from VP, though it is limited designs.

www.vistaprint.com/free-business-cards.aspx

• Taylor
    Devoted August 2013
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

Chocolate, even if there's cake and stuff? I guess I don't like spending money on edibles, then the money to put them in...

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

The point of edible stuff is that it can go away easily. Hypothetically speaking why do I want stuff sitting around my house with someone else's initials and/or wedding date. I've thrown out those plantable packets of wildflowers even. I always take a favor, it's rude not to, but if it's not edible it goes in the garbage. I don't like clutter, and that's pretty much what favors are.

There are useful, non-edible favors. Coasters are cool if they work with my decor.

• FinallyDoingIt
    Master July 2014
    FinallyDoingIt ·
    • Flag

Don't listen to me. I'm a candy freak and I don't use coasters.

• Taylor
    Devoted August 2013
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

Would S'mores be cool? There will be a fire pit, basically the dance floor and bar is a HUGE deck, and there's a pit on the deck.. Thoughts?

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

S'mores are awesome.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics