We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Natalia
Expert October 2020

Wearing a ring 24/7?

Natalia, on August 21, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1,151

Hello all! I’m not sure if this is the proper group for this discussion. However, I wanted to know if you ladies and/or gents wear your engagement rings all the time. Recently, I was made to feel bad, perhaps unintentionally but perhaps not, about not wearing my engagement ring 24/7. My FHs family...
Hello all!

I’m not sure if this is the proper group for this discussion. However, I wanted to know if you ladies and/or gents wear your engagement rings all the time.

Recently, I was made to feel bad, perhaps unintentionally but perhaps not, about not wearing my engagement ring 24/7. My FHs family and I were talking about planning and my rings and such. When a member of his family said that an engagement ring should be worn at ALL times and never taken off, with quite the attitude. As if she judging me for taking it off. Mind you, I take it off right when I get home, and put it right back on when I go out anywhere. I don’t want to get it dirty, damaged, or lose its shine while I am doing my everyday tasks at home.

So tell me, what do you do? Do you wear it at all times, without taking it off? Or do you take it off for certain tasks?

1,151 Comments

• Jane
    Dedicated October 2020
    Jane ·
    • Flag
    I take my ring off every now and again when showering, cooking, crafts ect.
  • Cynthia
    Savvy September 2021
    Cynthia ·
    • Flag
    Hi! I usually take it off when I get home from work (in the past). Now I wear it around the house and take it off when I go out. Don’t feel bad. You can decide when to wear it. Around when covid-19, I stopped wearing my engagement ring to work, as I didn’t want to ruin it with all the handwashing and using hand sanitizer. My fiancé didn’t mind at
    all.
  • Liz
    Just Said Yes May 2022
    Liz ·
    • Flag
    I wear it all the time, unless I’m showering or doing dishes. I also put it in a bowl with a drop of dish detergent and almost hot water for 15 minutes to clean it. After that, I use a soft toothbrush to brush my ring and rinse it in almost hot water. I do that once a week to keep it clean and sparkling.
  • Gina
    Beginner July 2021
    Gina ·
    • Flag
    No way! That’s one way for it to get damaged easily and depending on the ring it’s uncomfortable. I’ve been engaged for two years and absolutely love my ring and my FH, but it’s kinda of heavy and has a high prong setting... It gets caught on things like blankets easily. A piece of jewelry shouldn’t signify your love for you FH. Ignore the haters and do what is comfortable for you. Smiley heart
  • Michelle
    Dedicated August 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I only wear mine when I don't have certain chores or off of work (I work in manufacturing). I either wear no ring or where my silicone one in it's place. Look into the Groove rings. They are pretty mic
  • Michelle
    Dedicated August 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    *nice. (Not sure what just happened.)

• Lasha
    Dedicated May 2021
    Lasha ·
    • Flag
    I take my ring off when I’m moisturizing my hair or motioning my body so it doesn’t get build up and sometimes I forget to put it back on and my fiancée will look at me crazy lol
  • Ariel
    Savvy September 2020
    Ariel ·
    • Flag
    I am a hairdresser and am constantly taking mine off during the day. I dont want chemicals and hair products to mess it up. I never wear my ring around the house at all. Quick as I get home I put it in my safe keeping spot. I dont even shower with it on. I do wear it when I'm out and about. Most of the time I'd rather just keep it in my safe spot so I know it's not going to get ruined or lost. My ring is a size too big and slips right off my finger!
  • Ariel
    Savvy September 2020
    Ariel ·
    • Flag
    Dont let other people tell you it's not okay. You do what's best for you. You decide when you want to wear it and dont feel bad about it.
  • Wedding2020
    Beginner August 2020
    Wedding2020 ·
    • Flag
    Hey girl! Sorry for the Tude from the family! I personally wear it all day everyday unless I’m in the shower, washing my hands or putting on lotion. But you shouldn’t Worry about anyone else’s opinion but your FH’s... his is what matters the most! 💜 💍 Show that baby off! Wearing a ring 24/7? 1

• RaylaSan
    Rockstar February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag
    I used to wear my engagement ring all the time, and then while I was at work I lost the stone and had to fork over $500 to get a new one, hence why I only wear it for special occassions.
  • Reasie
    Dedicated June 2021
    Reasie ·
    • Flag
    DO YOU! 😊

Truthfully, I have never been a ring-wearer because I am always doing manual labor so I have to remind myself to wear my engagement ring 😏.
    I intentionally wear it around my FH or when I leave my home but for the most part, it is locked away when I'm just sitting around home with my children and pets. As long as he knows I mean no disrespect, we're GOOD. Wearing a ring 24/7? 2
  • Shannon
    Savvy June 2020
    Shannon ·
    • Flag
    I wear mine when we go out or have some kind of event. with my job I’m scared it will get damaged too easily and I also hate jewelry on my hands lol
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag

Do what works for you. There are certain jobs where a ring (or any jewelry) is a safety hazard so it can't be worn. Some household tasks (cleaning, cooking, etc) are havoc on a ring and it's best to take it off. A ring doesn't define the commitment you have. Ignore anyone who tells you that it does and that you aren't faithful or committed if you take it off for any reason.

• B
    Savvy November 2021
    Breanne ·
    • Flag

I was told by the salesman that you should never wear your ring in any kind of water; lakes, oceans, pools, hot tubs, showering doing dishes. The water may not necessarily hurt the metal or your diamond all thought it can technically tarnish and dull the shine of the metal and diamond. But there are chances too that if you wear it in deep water such as oceans and lakes your finger can shrink and your ring could fall off. Obviously, this is just my opinion, but I will never be wearing mine in any kind of water or activities that might include such. If you are worried people might not know your married or something invest in silicone ring(s) to wear when you are not wearing your diamond one, and or wear it to work as well depending on your occupation.

I hope this all helps!

• Melissa
    Just Said Yes February 2021
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

I take mine off to shower, work in the yard, and exercise. How you choose to wear, display, and protect your ring is your business. Smiley smile

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I only wear mine when we go out somewhere (such as a date night, out with a group of friends, etc). I don't typically wear rings otherwise, and I just couldn't get used to wearing one 24/7.
  • Holly
    Dedicated March 2021
    Holly ·
    • Flag
    As someone who doesn’t wear much jewelry, it would feel unnatural to suddenly wear a ring 24/7. The stone gets in the way during workouts anyway, so I have to take it off at least once a day if not also when I shower, or cook.
    I would talk to your FH to see if he feels badly about you taking it off. I’m sure if he hasn’t brought it up, there’s no need to feel badly!
  • RaylaSan
    Rockstar February 2021
    RaylaSan ·
    • Flag
    Last time I wore my engagement ring 24/7 the diamond fell off and I had to pay $500 to replace it. Since then, I only wear it during special occasions.
  • Queen Cone
    Devoted September 2020
    Queen Cone ·
    • Flag
    I wear it to work and when we go out to eat but thats it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics