We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Natalia
Expert October 2020

Wearing a ring 24/7?

Natalia, on August 21, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1,151

Hello all! I’m not sure if this is the proper group for this discussion. However, I wanted to know if you ladies and/or gents wear your engagement rings all the time. Recently, I was made to feel bad, perhaps unintentionally but perhaps not, about not wearing my engagement ring 24/7. My FHs family...
Hello all!

I’m not sure if this is the proper group for this discussion. However, I wanted to know if you ladies and/or gents wear your engagement rings all the time.

Recently, I was made to feel bad, perhaps unintentionally but perhaps not, about not wearing my engagement ring 24/7. My FHs family and I were talking about planning and my rings and such. When a member of his family said that an engagement ring should be worn at ALL times and never taken off, with quite the attitude. As if she judging me for taking it off. Mind you, I take it off right when I get home, and put it right back on when I go out anywhere. I don’t want to get it dirty, damaged, or lose its shine while I am doing my everyday tasks at home.

So tell me, what do you do? Do you wear it at all times, without taking it off? Or do you take it off for certain tasks?

1,151 Comments

• J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Then FI works around industrial machines ad went to someone who custom paints them, does Fairs. They are advertised as high tech glass ceramic, or just as ceramic rings. Often plain, but can be painted with a special enamel and baked, whi h is when you find them from crafts people rather than Ring sales outlets. Men's most numerous, as they have used them due to work for longer.
  • KitandKaboodle
    Master November 2016
    KitandKaboodle ·
    • Flag

Before the wedding, I took it off when I showered, cleaned and gardening. After the wedding, I stopped wearing it. Like you, I had people try to make me feel guilty about not wearing my engagement ring, but it's my decision. Not theirs.

• Hcook
    Dedicated May 2021
    Hcook ·
    • Flag

I take mine off when need be. Its a choice of the wearer.

• Cassidy
    VIP October 2017
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag

You know it's no one else's business how often you wear your wedding ring. My MIL and FIL never took their rings off for YEARS. They had to have them CUT OFF because they wouldn't come off. My MIL kept her diamond and they got new rings.

I LOVE my engagement ring and wedding band. But I do not wear it in the shower, moving, yard work, cooking or to the beach. I don't always wear it in the house.

I am NOT keeping my ring on when I am making meatloaf lol

• Kara
    Beginner March 2021
    Kara ·
    • Flag
    If I’m doing something at home that may make the ring get dirty or damaged I absolutely take mine off and keep it in a safe place until my hands are clean again. I have good insurance for the times where that is not an option and I purchased silicone bands for the times where I still want to wear a ring but don’t want my engagement ring to be at risk (rock climbing, gym, going camping, etc.). At the end of the day do what feels right for you and your partner.
  • Mercy
    Savvy January 2011
    Mercy ·
    • Flag

Get a second ring, or a silicone ring. I have both. The silicone ring is way more comfortable and can I just say, I am not damaging my awesome wedding band when I'm lifting weights, so I wear my silicone ring when at the gym. The second ring is nice especially when you are out somewhere having fun and don't want to wear a cheap silicone ring, but also don't want to risk losing your nice wedding band...hope this helps.

• M
    Dedicated October 2021
    Marie ·
    • Flag
    I only take it off to shower. I have a weird sensory issue with a ring in my hair when I wash it. Otherwise, it's glued on.
  • Soon2Bemarried
    Dedicated October 2022
    Soon2Bemarried ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I was originally told never to take my ring off as well. But I take my ring off to wash dishes or when I’m in any kind of water. Even when it’s raining outside. Depending on what I’m eating, I’ll take it off too (if my food has a particular sauce, messy, etc). It’s just something I started and can’t shake the habit now.
  • Vale
    Dedicated October 2021
    Vale ·
    • Flag
    Like most ladies have already said, I take mine off when I shower, cook certain things that require my hands to get messy, and wash dishes. I do sleep in it, but anything that may get it dirty or dull, I take it off for. In some cases at my job, I have to wash my hands so frequently and wear gloves, that I just keep it off until I leave. I've had it since December 23, 2018, it's still beautiful, but with everyday wear, it's going to get a little bit less spectacular looking with time.
  • Hannah
    Savvy November 2020
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    I initially wore mine when I went out but I work out a lot and didn’t want to wear it at Walmart. Eventually I lost weight and didn’t want to risk losing it so I stopped wearing it. I got my wedding band a size smaller so now i can use the band to hold the engagement ring in place. Also we both plan to get silicone rings after the wedding and just wear the nice bands for special occasions. Do want you want? In an ideal world, June Cleaver probably had to take hers off to bake occasionally but it’s too precious to me to wear when I might lose it or ruin it. It’s yours. I told my fiancé I didn’t need a ring, it’s a symbol of your love and commitment not the commitment itself
  • Ty
    Devoted July 2021
    Ty ·
    • Flag

I take mine off all the time, and sometimes forget about it. My engagement ring costs a ton, and being home during COVID I didn't see the point in wearing it all the time, what I did was bought a knock off version of my ring, and I wear that one ALL THE TIME.

• Chelsea
    Savvy October 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag

I took mine off for certain tasks (baking, esp. anything requiring kneading/shaping dough) but basically wore it all the time because I'm the type of person who loses things quickly.

FWIW if the ring is well made, I wouldn't worry about it getting damaged, if I were you - quality jewelry is meant to last generations and jewelers really know how to clean rings, so there's not a high chance of permanent damage happening.

• Erika
    Beginner November 2021
    Erika ·
    • Flag
    It's your hand, you decide. I personally don't even wear mine every day. Neither does my now husband. It's just a symbol, and not everyone even exchanges rings at all. As long as your future spouse doesn't take it personally (in which case, I would talk about it and compromise) then I say who cares what other people think? There are a ton of reasons to not want to wear it at certain times, and it literally affects no one else, so I would just ignore the comments from others.
  • Jessica
    Devoted February 2021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I wear it 24/7 rings are meant to withstand normal wear. My fiancé would be hurt if I took it off for any reason
  • Private User
    Dedicated July 2021
    Private User ·
    • Flag
    I wear my ring most of the time, unless I’m showering or doing dishes. Some of my coworkers wear those silicone rings to work. (I’m a nurse) so it is completely up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I’ve hear both sides... “I don’t think my husband spent that much money on a ring for me to not wear it.” “I don’t like wearing my ring at work because it looks so gross after a short amount of time from all of the hand sanitizer.” It really is whatever you feel comfortable with. Nobody else’s business except for you and your fiancé.
  • Madison
    Savvy May 2021
    Madison ·
    • Flag
    I take mine off all the time! Everyone is different but you shouldn’t feel bad for not wearing it 24/7! I never wear mine while showering, cleaning, cooking, sleeping, working out or playing with our puppy who loves to nip at our hands!! A good idea might be getting a silicone ring you can wear when you don’t want to wear your actual engagement ring. I bought 2 rings from Enso Rings and they are so comfortable! I can put it on and don’t have to worry about anything happening to my ring!
  • Shell'a
    Dedicated May 2022
    Shell'a ·
    • Flag

I think it may come off weird if when you get home you take it off and keep it off, then put it back on when you leave. Unless i just misunderstood what you said. I think that can come off a certain way. I do take mine off rarely, like when i shower, or sometimes ill take it off when i go to bed. But for the most part i wear it all the time. I mean there's no rule book. Maybe ask your FH what he thinks.

• Slrhoshi
    Savvy April 2022
    Slrhoshi ·
    • Flag
    I won't/don't with jewelry in general. I work in a hospital. I've lost a fitbit pulling gloves off before. I have severe anxiety about rings coming off. I won't ruin a beautiful ring for the sake of showing off. Other nurses wear their own with no issues but I can't. FH is fine with it cause he knows what I do and understands.
  • Dara
    Just Said Yes May 2022
    Dara ·
    • Flag

Natalia,

I always take mine off when I go to bed, and if I can remember, when I do dishes or anything to do with water. I wear it everywhere else and in any other situation. A tip to keep the shine and to not have the coating come off, use clear nail polish to coat the ring and use a glasses or ring cleaning cloth whenever going to bed to clean off any dirt or germs.

• Ty
    Devoted July 2021
    Ty ·
    • Flag
    I bought a $12 replica of my ring from Ali express, and I wear that one 24/7 and my actual engagement ring I wear if I’m going out. I know it sounds silly, but I work from home and leave the house probably once a week. With that being said I think what you are doing is fine.

I had a married friend tell me that she never takes her off, not even to wash dishes. I guess we all have different view points.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics