We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Natalia
Expert October 2020

Wearing a ring 24/7?

Natalia, on August 21, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1,144

Hello all! I’m not sure if this is the proper group for this discussion. However, I wanted to know if you ladies and/or gents wear your engagement rings all the time. Recently, I was made to feel bad, perhaps unintentionally but perhaps not, about not wearing my engagement ring 24/7. My FHs family...
Hello all!

I’m not sure if this is the proper group for this discussion. However, I wanted to know if you ladies and/or gents wear your engagement rings all the time.

Recently, I was made to feel bad, perhaps unintentionally but perhaps not, about not wearing my engagement ring 24/7. My FHs family and I were talking about planning and my rings and such. When a member of his family said that an engagement ring should be worn at ALL times and never taken off, with quite the attitude. As if she judging me for taking it off. Mind you, I take it off right when I get home, and put it right back on when I go out anywhere. I don’t want to get it dirty, damaged, or lose its shine while I am doing my everyday tasks at home.

So tell me, what do you do? Do you wear it at all times, without taking it off? Or do you take it off for certain tasks?

1,144 Comments

• Ty
    Devoted July 2021
    Ty ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with asking your FH.
  • Carla
    Savvy December 2021
    Carla ·
    • Flag
    I was always taught that you should never take it off. However I take mine off at night before I go to bed. I need to have one of my clasp tightened up on one of my diamonds so I dont want it to snag on my blanket at night and due to covid it is such a delay in repairs. Since I do take it off a night. When Im getting ready for work accassionally I forget it. It makes me feel bad when I do. I asked my fiance' dose it bother him when I take off my ring. He says that it does but he understands why I take it off and assures me since its insured he will take it and have it tightened and cleaned. He says that once its repaired there is no excuse to have to take it off but for now its fine. Just talk to your spouse, fiance, or husband and see what his thoughts are because at the end or the day his opinion is the only oI hope ne that matters. Everyone one else just looks at it as either tradition or respect. This unity is between yourself and him not them, but if you are a people pleaser then just keep it on. I hope this helps
  • Kimberly
    Savvy September 2022
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

I wear my engagement ring 24/7. I don't totally like the idea of taking it off regularly because I know that for me it's more likely I will misplace it around the house. But I also have the insurance/warranty for the ring through Zales so every 6 months I go into a store and get it inspected and cleaned. They also do a thorough polishing and dipping for free if I want to send it off. I'm not worried about loosing loose stones or getting it dirty because I have the free cleanings/replacements.

• Kim
    Savvy October 2021
    Kim ·
    • Flag
    I put it on every moth hg before I leave the house and take it off when I get back home. Just feels weird wearing any jewelry at home and also don’t want to wear it to bed and risk scratching myself or tearing something or even damaging the ring. My fiancé wears his constantly, never comes off but his is just a band so no risks. I also don’t wear it at work during certain tasks in the garage but it goes right back on when I’m done.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics