Shelby
Super June 2016

To bustle or not to bustle...

Shelby, on April 8, 2016 at 11:02 AM Posted in Planning 0 25
Saved Save

I already had my alteration appointment, but I forgot about bustling the dress. The train of my dress itself is not very long, but it is tulle and I don't want it to get ruined. I'm not s dancer, and aside from the first dance and maybe a line dance or two, I probably won't be on the dance floor much. But I will be mingling with everyone. Has anyone NOT bustled their gown and had a good experience? Are there any DIY ways to bustle a gown? Or should I just suck it up and go back and have her add in a bustle? I'll add the best pic of my dresses train that I have. She is taking a little length of the tulle off the bottom, but not too much.

25 Comments

• mimitrue
    Master January 2016
    mimitrue ·

I would be safe and add a bustle. You definitely don't want your train running on the ground, getting stepped on by not only you but other people. They can add a bustle for inexpensive depending on what kind of bustle you choose. You want to save your pretty dress.

• Kimi
    Master August 2016
    Kimi ·

I agree. You don't want to risk someone stepping on it and ripping it.

• N
    Devoted May 2016
    N ·

I don't have any experience with leaving the bustle down myself. I think if you left it down even if your not a dancer people would probably step on it by accident and that might damage it some. You might even step on it while turning around or stepping backwards. But like I said that is just my guess. Hope others who have worn it down can help you out.

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·

You need to bustle it. Go to a local seamstress for better prices.

• Hollyberry
    VIP October 2016
    Hollyberry ·

Get one, you can always not use it! IMO.

• Nonna T
    Master April 2014
    Nonna T ·

Bustle ps it fits you so nice!

• Amanda J.
    Master March 2016
    Amanda J. ·

Add the bustle and make sure 2 people know how to bustle it. I ended up with 5 ladies trying to figure out my bustle and my sister ripped 3 buttons off. I had to carry my train around all night.

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·

You are the bride-- people are going to crowd around you, and probably won't be paying attention to where they are standing-- you should get a bustle. Plus, since it's a mermaid gown, it will be hard for you to lift the train up so it doesn't drag when you are walking around.

• Audrey
    VIP June 2016
    Audrey ·

Save your dress from getting ruined. Go for the bustle.

• Kristy
    Master November 2015
    Kristy ·

BUSTLE! It will drive you crazy, get caught under chairs, get stepped on. My dress still got stepped on and ripped even though it was properly bustled.

• Darcie
    Super August 2016
    Darcie ·

Bustle or a wrist strap.

• Soon2BRuffo
    Super October 2017
    Soon2BRuffo ·

Don't take the risk of having the bottom ruined. Unfortunately it seems like you have to suck it up and have them add a bustle

• JessicaIsTotallySmithen
    Super April 2017
    JessicaIsTotallySmithen ·

I wouldn't want to risk your dress getting ripped from people stepping on it. As careful as people might try and be around you if they see it's not bustled eventually someone will accidentally step on it. So I say bustle.

• dsta0125
    Expert September 2016
    dsta0125 ·

If you have time definitely get a bustle. You do not want the bottom to get dirty, and you also do not want someone to step on the dress and rip it.

Also, the dress is beautiful!!

• The Future Mrs. Reaves
    Dedicated June 2017
    The Future Mrs. Reaves ·

The gown fits you beautifully... Bustle, to avoid someone stepping on it or getting snagged on something.

• meetthesheets2016
    Devoted October 2016
    meetthesheets2016 ·

That dress looks beautiful on you! I agree with the others that I would go back and get a bustle. I would hate for someone to step on the dress or ruin it.

• Kmess
    Master October 2015
    Kmess ·

I think it's going to be a huge pain in the ass if you don't bustle it. All you need is for someone to step on it while you're not looking and next thing you'll hear is a big ripping sound. You still have time. I would have it done.

• FallforLindahl
    VIP June 2017
    FallforLindahl ·

Bustle! You'll be glad you did!

• Liz
    Super March 2016
    Liz ·

I did a DIY wrist strap. It worked nicely. My train was fairly short.

• SAD
    VIP March 2016
    SAD ·

Definitely bustle! I had a similar skirt and even with the bustle it was a bit of a pain to walk/dance in (H actually stepped on it during the first dance and ripped a piece of tulle off the bottom). I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to maneuver without a bustle at all! Mine was a simple three-point bustle, so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to add.

Comment on this discussion