TugBride
Expert October 2018

Reception Table Decor

TugBride, on Dec 5, 2017 at 2:33 PM Posted in Do It Yourself

FH and I are having a very small wedding so we are renting this cute little shelter at a local park. Our shelter comes with rectangular tables and chairs. My big dilemma is how do I fit centerpieces to rectangle tables when I originally planned for round? I already have milk bottles for what I was going to use for my centerpieces (similar to the picture below) but I don't think it would look as good on a rectangular table. Also should I get a table runner or just the tablecloths? Ultimately it would all cost the same I just want the tables to look beautiful. Any suggestions on how to decorate the space would be a huge help!

Share:

18 Comments

• Stephanie
    Devoted July 2018
    Stephanie ·

Depending on the size of the tables just do a few more of those centerpieces on each one spaced out and add some long greenery you can lay between and around them.

• TugBride
    Expert October 2018
    TugBride ·

@MelissaHH originally I was going to rent a few round tables for the reception but it just saves time to use the ones they provide. I really prefer the round ones over rectangular but I just don't want to have to worry about setting up one more thing before the wedding. Also all my milk bottles were free so thankfully I'm not out a ton of money. I've just never really seen rectangular tables for a wedding so I'm not really sure how to decorate them.

@Stephanie Do you think two small centerpieces like the ones above would be okay and then the table number in the middle with some greenery or should the number be with a centerpiece arrangement?

• MillerTime
    Devoted September 2018
    MillerTime ·

I agree with Stephanie's idea. Place two of them, spread out, on each long table and add greenery. You can also add votives or other things to give some height difference/fill in. On my farm tables I'm doing a bucket with a floral arrangement and a lantern spread out with various pumpkins to flow between the two centerpieces and in the greenery. If you do the greenery you don't have to do runners but I chose to. Also, I'm numbering each actual table, not each centerpiece.

• TugBride
    Expert October 2018
    TugBride ·

I was going to put the table number on like a rod and have it in the middle of my centerpiece but now I feel like that will look silly so should I op for a photo frame or something similar that will sit lower? I have seen people use wood carvings of numbers spelled out would that look okay? I am trying to pull everything together so it doesn't look messy but I am not good at this whole decorating thing lol

• MillerTime
    Devoted September 2018
    MillerTime ·

Lol I'm totally with you on this not being my thing..it took me forever to decide and I still question it. I think picture frames or wood blocks with the number on it would be nice. I'm not sure what style you're going for but these could be good options

• MillerTime
    Devoted September 2018
    MillerTime ·

• MillerTime
    Devoted September 2018
    MillerTime ·

• muriel
    Master June 2018
    muriel ·

I would still use the same centerpiece. Add a few votive candles on either side and perhaps a smaller version of the milk bottle (Starbucks frappuccino bottles) with just one flower on either end.

That way you can also still use your original idea for table numbers.

If you want to use two centerpieces, I would use an Ikea Tolsby frame in the center for your table numbers. They come in white and several colors and are easily spray painted the color of your choice. They are double sided so you can have numbers on both sided, making it easy to spot or you can use one side for menu or a thank you note to your guests.

• Stephanie
    Devoted July 2018
    Stephanie ·

I think it's up to you on the table number. Play around with it in addition to the two centerpieces and greenery as well as votives if you want and see what looks best.

• TugBride
    Expert October 2018
    TugBride ·

I love all these ideas! Especially the number suggestions!! I will definitely play around with some arrangement options to figure out what looks best

• Will & Tiara
    Expert September 2019
    Will & Tiara ·

Do add babies breath to your florals for a fuller look. Yes, do get runners. Great ones at CVlinens.com. Get them in satin green to highlight your centerpiece and table #'s. Use larger votives - not the tiny ones. The better quality won't burn out after two hours.

Do a search on Amazon.com for Hosley Unscented Clear Glass Wax Filled Votive Candles

For a more country elegant feel, get the votive wraps also at Amazon.

• m&j18
    Devoted August 2018
    m&j18 ·

Here is an example with bottles and long tables

• m&j18
    Devoted August 2018
    m&j18 ·

I really like this one too...especially the board ...you could put the table number on the board perhaps?

• LaraLouM
    Super May 2019
    LaraLouM ·

Garland greenery runners are absolutely stunning on rectangular tables! You could use the milk bottles interspaced, maybe even spray them metallic

• danijho
    Dedicated May 2018
    danijho ·

Ugh! I have rectangular tables too and this was the biggest struggle for me. I opted to do something like this picture. Just be careful the vases/glasses aren't too tall! Don't want to block the guest! I am also doing wooden longer table numbers too!

• Amy
    Dedicated December 2017
    Amy ·

I just went to a wedding that used clear glass bottles with single stem flowers in them on rectangle tables. I think they used 4-5 bottles lined up, and then two sets of those on each table.

• Emmaline BRIDE
    Emmaline BRIDE ·

Go with the same centerpiece idea! You don't have to match the shape of the table. Here are some visuals with table numbers, runners, centerpieces... just in case you need a little fresh inspo: http://emmalinebride.com/centerpieces/rustic-wedding-centerpieces-with-flowers/ I think you have a great idea going with those glass bottles! Love the look.

• Going to the chapel
    Master July 2017
    Going to the chapel ·

I'd definitely spread the bottles, candles and greenery down the center of the table like the above pics. One thing to be careful of with rectangular tables. These tables are narrow, so make sure that your centerpieces aren't so wide that guests don't have room for plates and glasses.

Comment on this discussion