D
Dedicated June 2014

Is it ok to send STDs by email?

Deb, on October 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM Posted in Planning 0 19
Saved Save

I looked at some wedding etiquette sites & it seems ok, but wondering. I thought for the few guests who don't email (including my FFIL!) I could order a few Save The Dates and send by snail mail. I'm not terribly crafty plus I feel the cost is a bit much when you can send them for free by email. Do other brides do this or is it considered tacky?

19 Comments

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·
    • Flag

This is exactly what I am doing. This email will direct them to the website. There may be some inventive for guests RSVPing online (cookies maybe?) before I send out the paper invites. I will probably send about 10 by snail mail.

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

Totally fine. STDs are a new (and optional) invention, so I think you can send them any way you want. I do agree that sending hard copies to less tech-saavy guests is a good idea.

(BTW, I've gotten STDs by email before, and I didn't find it rude or tack at all).

• Helen
    Expert April 2014
    Helen ·
    • Flag

I did, I sent mine via evite. They have actual save the date invites on there and I put a little note and a link to our website for the hotels, etc.

• ashlee
    Master January 2012
    ashlee ·
    • Flag

I think to some degree it depends on the traditions in your area and your specific family / circle of friends. in our circles, the email save the date / invitation etc is not done. that is actually fine with me, i am an admitted paper snob and spent a ^@$% on our save the dates and invitations. hahaha.

if it is acceptable for your friends and family, then why not?

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

I don't think it is considered tacky. I agree with Barbara that STDs are a new and optional (and in my mind, unfortunate) invention, and however you send them is fine. The only issue is whether they will actually make it. If you use Evite or similar programs, they may get trapped in people's spam filters.

• mscountry
    Master July 2014
    mscountry ·
    • Flag

I sent them thru paperlesspost and only did them because of a date change.

• Leblancly
    Expert June 2014
    Leblancly ·
    • Flag

Totally fine IMO. Paperless post even lets you order hard copy versions of your online cards if you want to keep the same look and feel for both.

• sundaycupcake
    VIP October 2013
    sundaycupcake ·
    • Flag

Save the Dates are okay by e-mail.

Invitations via e-mail are another story...

• Just Dee
    Super May 2015
    Just Dee ·
    • Flag

I was going to do magnets in our holiday cards, but I talked with my MOH and she convinced me that they were unnecessary to spend money on. I've decided to do an email, just for the friends who are extra long distance. Older family members will get a magnet or card with the save the date information at our engagement party.

• Mrs. Pezz
    VIP September 2013
    Mrs. Pezz ·
    • Flag

My sister said to me "Have you ever decided to go to a wedding because you received a paper save-the-date? Of course not, so why should it matter?" and I needed to save money, bam, free e-mail STD through pingg.com. Invitations were still sent by mail and I am pretty much 100% sure the STD made no difference on people's choice to come or not come. I could also see who viewed the STD to make sure everyone was actually clicking on it!

• D1
    Master October 2013
    D1 ·
    • Flag

We did a hold the date event on Facebook. For people that were not on FB, it was word of mouth or email.

• Deborah
    Super August 2013
    Deborah ·
    • Flag

There is nothing traditional about STDs--I only started seeing them about 5 years ago. Do whatever you want. We did STD on Facebook and emailed a few people who aren't on FB.

• Kelly King
    April 2020
    Kelly King ·
    • Flag

If most of your guests are tech-savvy, I think it is perfectly acceptable to send e-mail Save the Dates. A fun video story might be more interesting. StoryMix Media here on WW specializes in turning your photos into a video story, very affordable.

• rusticbride
    Master May 2014
    rusticbride ·
    • Flag

I REALLY wanted to do this but no one else was a fan!

I also really LOVED the magnet save the date idea so that's what we ended up doing.

It's insanely adorable so it doesn't matter.

Do what works for you but definitely be considerate of the folks who don't use email.

• Lisa
    VIP September 2014
    Lisa ·
    • Flag

You can definitely send them by email! We are doing postcard save the dates which are less than $25 (without any promos) for 100!

• AlmostMrsJ
    Dedicated May 2014
    AlmostMrsJ ·
    • Flag

@lisa- where are you getting the postcards from? I need to do ours soon but want to customize with a photo, and saving money is always a good thing.

Ps. I've also been considering email std's and don't see an issue with them at all. I had the same thought of having some printed for non-techy folks though... I think that's pretty important! =)

• Nicole
    Super November 2014
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

AlmostMrsJ you can do the postcard "invite" through Vistaprint. I know they have their own invitations but the postcard is actually much cheaper!! Think a double sided photo ciolour on the front, black and white on the back. It's what I am going to do for sure!

• Courtney
    VIP January 2015
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

I am! Seems way easier to me. Plus I want to save money. We'll be sending out invites of course, but since STD's are optional anyway, I say go for it!

• Rebekah
    Master April 2014
    Rebekah ·
    • Flag

I definitely don't think it's tacky, but it annoys me. I think it's a great money saver. I have almost missed several events due to them getting into my junk mail & never seeing them. I would definitely spread the word around. The other problem I have is that if it's not printed in front of me or not in my calendar I forget. Just some things to think about. I sent out an e-mail with all of our wedding details using a wedding e-mail & it's crazy how very few have responded. I don't know if it went into people's junk box or what. Good luck & keep us posted!!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics