Eleanor
VIP October 2014

Interesting article about Hobby Lobby

Eleanor, on October 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM Posted in Planning 0 26
Saved Save

Http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/02/hobby-lobby-jewish-boycott-steve-green_n_4032295.html

I already refuse to shop there but this doesn't help. Not saying everyone else should have the same feelings I do but I'd thought I'd share since I think it's important to know where you're putting your money.

26 Comments

• mscountry
    Master July 2014
    mscountry ·
    • Flag

My mom works there and hates it we only buy from there when no other store has what we need.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

Yeah I know...because the world isn't big enough for everyone.

Why can't we all just get along?!?!

• Out the Window
    Master May 2014
    Out the Window ·
    • Flag

What I find interesting is that it's located in a town where I went to high school. Let's put it this way. I was part of the 5% other. The 95% would be offended by this.

• Catherine
    Super October 2013
    Catherine ·
    • Flag

You know I don't think this article is true. Unless this is a new policy I know for a fact the Hobby Lobby in Columbus GA had Hanukkah And Passover items last year....

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

Let's just say that even before this, my only regret was that we don't have a Hobby Lobby close enough so that our boycott of it would be noticeable.

• Eleanor
    VIP October 2014
    Eleanor ·
    • Flag

2d Bride: This isn't even in my top 5 reasons I'll never go to Hobby Lobby. I just didn't want to seem preachy so I didn't go to far into it.

• Gamecock Mrs.
    Master October 2014
    Gamecock Mrs. ·
    • Flag

This may come off as offensive, but it's not meant to be.

Hobby Lobby is a Christian company. They make no bones about it. They don't hide it, close on Sundays, and are willing to incur tremendous fines to reject Obamacare because of the planned parenthood clauses. What ever happened to entrepreneurship? They operate their business in a free country. They should have the right to stop being so damn politically correct and run their business the way they choose. In tern, you (general you not directed to the OP) have the right to choose whether or not to shop there. That is ideally how a free market system works. But the pressures of society and the government change that ideal where our country was founded.

• Alysa
    VIP April 2014
    Alysa ·
    • Flag

You can't please everybody. It is their right to stock whatever items they wish. Although I believe that the comment made by the employee definitely crossed the line, and no customer should be treated that way. But the reason I shop there is because of the deals. And this article won't stop me from visiting their stores.

• Private User
    VIP October 2022
    Private User ·
    • Flag

Well, I guess it's a good thing I don't have one close by.. I wouldn't buy from there if this is true.

• Katie
    VIP May 2014
    Katie ·
    • Flag

This is not directed at anyone, just a vent. As a Christian company they are against abortion, so you would think they would allow birth control in their health coverage. That is the reason I will never set foot in their store. Their "values" cannot decide my right to plan for a child or not. Not to mention most women don't even go one bc to prevent getting pregnant. They go on, like myself, for cysts or pmdd. I have my own set of morals and values, but I don't see the need nor have the want to push them on anyone else. I just don't see the fight to restrict women of their right to proper health care.

• OMW
    Master August 2013
    OMW ·
    • Flag

I have no problem shopping there. If I boycotted them, then I would have a moral obligation to research the beliefs of every company from which I purchase. I don't have time for that.

• HISballerina
    VIP October 2014
    HISballerina ·
    • Flag

I'm with Erica. It's fine to boycott whom you may but do the research for every company you shop... I'm sure there are some out there that do and that's awesome! Don't believe everything you read and here because most of the articles at the forefront of entertainment is biased hence why most people become sheep. Take the Starbucks issue. I come from a military family and FH is military, actually almost all of our friends are current or past military do you think we just stopped drinking their coffee bc the media said we should? HECK NO! We did our research and even called the companies to get the truth and even got Starbucks to send care packages. If you don't want to go to a store that is great but you need to see what other stores you shouldn't go to anymore as well. And remember, they have just as much of a right to do what they please bc it's a freedom they have. They are aware of how it can hurt their business but look at them as you look at yourself. They are zealous in their

• HISballerina
    VIP October 2014
    HISballerina ·
    • Flag

Beliefs just as you are zealous in yours. This country has become to pissy. If you don't like it don't do it.

• Bee
    VIP January 2013
    Bee ·
    • Flag

LEAVE THE JEWS ALONE! They are not the only religion who doesn't believe Jesus is Christ! Haven't they gotten enough crap throughout the generations! Sheesh. ..

• Leanna
    VIP March 2014
    Leanna ·
    • Flag

What the employee said was wrong. I will continue to shop there because of the deals. I am sure the other big box stores that everyone shops at weekly (food, clothing, etc) have some pretty crappy beliefs too.

• Thankfully Anonymous
    Super February 2014
    Thankfully Anonymous ·
    • Flag

Amen GameCox.

• Julie
    Expert October 2013
    Julie ·
    • Flag

I don't know if it's true, but either way I actually like the store. I feel bad if it's true though.

• kysweetheart
    Super October 2013
    kysweetheart ·
    • Flag

I agree with ABballerina. i did a research paper once on eugenics and when i found out how Ford and Rockefeller were involved and the connection to Hitler, i was stunned. we probably wouldn't buy from any company if we knew the real truth about their owners/founders.

the hobby lobby in my city sells jewish items. maybe not alot, of course, but i know for sure that i can spot the star of david in there year round.

• Joanna
    Super September 2010
    Joanna ·
    • Flag

I was in my local Hobby Lobby last night, they had Christmas decorations out and Hanukkah items they did have more Christmas items but there was an entire isle just for Hanukkah. It's a store, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it wont stop me from shopping there. Not everyone believes in what I do and I do not hold that against them, nor do I judge anyone who believes different than me....

• Mrs V (Roe)
    Master August 2013
    Mrs V (Roe) ·
    • Flag

Why is it not alright for Hobby Lobby or any other company to stand by their convictions and as has been said "push their beliefs" on others but it's alright for others to push their beliefs on Hobby Lobby?

I am in total agreement with the ladies who have voiced that if you are going to boycott one business for their practices and norms, then you should research every company you do business with and hold them to the same measurements.

Hobby Lobby is not forcing people to work there nor are they forcing people to patronize. If you don't want to do either, don't. but also be fair. You can't be indignant about feeling they are forcing their opinions when doing the same thing to them. From what I'm reading, they haven't band other religious artifacts, just don't have them in abundance.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics