We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

ladylee
Master June 2010

I bought a new toy & I can't talk to anybody about it :(

ladylee, on September 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM Posted in Planning 0 39
Saved Save

It seems like everyone in my circle is broke/having $$ problems so I feel like a C-word plus a B-word (in no particular order) yapping to my friends about buying a new "toy". I need to find a sewing/crafting forum but in the meantime can I share with yall? LOL!

I bought a sewing machine last year and have been wanting to get a serger. I had a little $ set aside from selling some of my wedding items. I've done some reading and last week visited a local sewing machine store and they showed me what they thought would be a good starter machine ($350) that I wouldn't soon outgrow. The girl told me to go online b/c they were out of brochures. So I got home and looked online for reviews and found the same machine for $199 brand new! The only trade off is at the store they will give you free lessons to teach you how to use it & you get 20% off in the store. So I'll have to teach myself or find a class on my own. Anyhow it gets delivered tomorrow. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

39 Comments

• *~* Soon to be Mrs. Murphey *~*
    VIP February 2013
    *~* Soon to be Mrs. Murphey *~* ·
    • Flag

I wish I knew how to sew... how fun!

• Kat
    Super September 2010
    Kat ·
    • Flag

Oooooooh pretty!!!!

• Jass
    Master September 2012
    Jass ·
    • Flag

That's very fancy! Smiley smile

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

Shauna I'm still learning but I'm really enjoying it so far!

I was taking a sewing class Unique. The last class was 2 weeks ago. The serger is for finishing seams. It doesn't replace a sewing machine it's just a different type of machine.

The only thing that sucks is we're having our yard sale this weekend so I have to spend the week going through things and getting prepared for Saturday so I probably won't have a chance to unpack it until next week. But by then I'll hopefully have a lot of junk out of my way and FINALLY be able to set up my craft room!

• Mrs. Libragurl
    Master October 2010
    Mrs. Libragurl ·
    • Flag

OK DIY Godess keep it coming. You know a whole gang of us have late sept and oct weddings so you need to get ready for those aisle runner orders....heck get really good and you'll be making flower girl dresses too!

• teexoxo
    Master July 2020
    teexoxo ·
    • Flag

HAHA Libra Smiley winking

Ladylee, did you sign up for your class through a craft store? I would love to learn how to sew. My Gramma makes quilts etc. all the time and she does beautiful work but we don't live close by anymore so I can't just jot over there on lunch break. I want to learn how to crochet too!

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

Lol no flower girl dresses. I'm not there yet. I spent probably 3 hours in front of my machine yesterday trying to make this dress (top right) and after hours of reading instructions, staring at the pictures, sewing, ripping seams and sewing again, I FINALLY managed to get the upper front/back sewn together. LOL! The fabric I have is difficult to work with and probably not a good choice for a beginner project.

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

Forgot to attach pic!

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

Teexoxo I took a class at a local quilting shop. They have quilting classes all the time and just recently started offering sewing classes. I'm considering taking some quilting classes. I never really liked it before but then I realized it's really the fabrics you choose that determines the end result.

• Kat
    Super September 2010
    Kat ·
    • Flag

Do it! Quilting is a super easy way to practice basic stitching! (That and it's really lame being the only one under 60 at the local guilds...go show the old ladies what the d@mn kids of today are really up to! :-D)

• Cabell
    Master May 2010
    Cabell ·
    • Flag

Ooooh, cool! We just got the sewing machine set up that I got for free from a retiring office admin last year--we bought a PJ pattern and some flannel, so I'm going to first try making PJ pants. I have no idea if it's a good machine or not, though, so it's definitely good that you have some confirmation that you won't easily "grow out of" the one you just got!

• Cabell
    Master May 2010
    Cabell ·
    • Flag

Oh, and I also REALLY want to learn to quilt. I should look into classes around here.

• GreenEyes61711
    Super June 2011
    GreenEyes61711 ·
    • Flag

@ ladylee - do you know any places online that have fabric inexpensive. I'm going to make a duvet cover but the fabric stores around me don't have anything I like Smiley sad . I bought my first sewing machine Saturday hehe!

• Kali [Mrs. Able]
    Super September 2010
    Kali [Mrs. Able] ·
    • Flag

I think I might try to learn something like this after the wedding. It hit me last night that in just 18 short days I won't have anything WR to do anymore other than make my scrapbook (which takes me no time at all.) And then I'll be bored out of my mind.

• wildtrucker
    Devoted October 2010
    wildtrucker ·
    • Flag

Cool, congrats.

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

Kat that's what I was thinking too that it'd be a good way to practice. I downloaded a basic baby quilt pattern yesterday that I'm considering making for my new niece. I'm good on the cutting/piecing. but the quilting part I know nothing about.

Cabell you can't beat "free"! We made PJ pants in the class I took. If you have a good pattern, it is easy. I think I was spoiled by how clear the instructions were in the pattern we used in class. This dress I'm trying to make they just ASSUME you'll figure out to take Piece #1 and attach it to Piece #2. They don't spell it out for you lol!

GreenEyes I like fabric.com and I've recently discovered hancockfabrics.com . With fabric.com you can usually find coupon codes online. I bought the fabric for my table runners from there. I am a growing fan of Amy Butler and she has some very pretty home dec fabrics. They tend to be in the $10-12/yd range but again look for coupon codes.

• J.S.
    Master June 2010
    J.S. ·
    • Flag

Sooooo jealous! I want a Janome!!!!! They sponsor the sew4home website and I'm always on there. I want a serger, too, but I have to wait until I get a j-o-b. LOL. I swear, that's the only thing motivating me to get one....I miss buying stuff. Pathetic, huh?

Is the dress you're going to be making knit or stretch? That can be difficult, but if you're learning in your class, you'll be good to go!

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

Also @ Cabell about growing out of the machine... I talked to the lady at the store and she asked me how much I wanted to spend on a machine. I told her I didn't know enough about them to say for certain. I'm new to sewing so I don't want to dump a WHOLE lot of money into one but at the same time, I don't want to get a "beginner" one and then once I get used to it find out that it doesn't have very many functions and I need to upgrade. So she thought this was a good middle of the road machine that was a good product for the price.

At the quilting shop where I took my sewing classes, the cheapest they had was $700, $800 and then it skipped up to $1200. uhhhh no thanks! lol

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

Kali it hit me too like a sledge hammer once the wedding was over. But I have been wanting to get into sewing for several years. At first I didn't have a machine and couldn't afford one. Then when I decided to do custom table runners for the wedding I thought I'd just invest in a machine rather than paying someone else to stitch them. I started out looking for a used machine on craigslist and some how discovered there are combo sewing/embroidery machines. One day google led me to HSN.com who had several machines. So I ended up ordering one from there. And the advantage was they have flex pay so you can stretch the cost out over 4 months rather than dropping several hundred $ at one time. Plus I found a coupon code for first time customers which took about $75 off the price! So anyways I've had the machine for a while but with the wedding I haven't been able to do much non-wedding related stuff until just recently.

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

@jenn yes the fabric is stretchy so I know that's a huge part of the problem. I'm using a ball point needle. I dn't think there's a special presser foot for that type of fabric. I don't know what else to do. Next Monday they'll have a sewing help clinic at the place where I took my classes. For $10 you can bring whatever project you're working on and get help.So looks like that's where I'm going to end up. We're going to a wedding on the 25th and I was hoping to finish this dress in time to wear it.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles