C
Beginner September 2019

How do you keep kids from running at weddings?

Cam., on June 22, 2016 at 12:18 PM Posted in Planning 0 56
Saved Save

So my future husband has around 25 nieces and nephews in total and I really don't have no choice when it comes to inviting them. My biggest fear is that the kids will be running around during the first dance. I have thought about giant games like Jenga but do you think that games will encourage them more ? Any ideas?

56 Comments

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Don't invite them. There is no possible way to keep that many bored kids (and they will be bored) from running around. And it's expensive. And their parents will spend the entire wedding policing their kids.

• Mrs. Sasswood
    Master October 2016
    Mrs. Sasswood ·
    • Flag

Leashes. Or spikes sticking up out of the ground. When one falls, the rest will learn.

Or, go Celia's route and have an adults only wedding. You cannot control what even adults will do during your first dance or the rest of the day so learn to accept it. You will probably be so distracted by giving your new hubby googly eyes that you won't even notice anyway.

• Lisa
    VIP February 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag

NyQuil?

Totally kidding lol

• OG Brittany
    Master December 2016
    OG Brittany ·
    • Flag

You don't. Kids will be kids, and you can't always control them. Just know going into this, that if you invite kids, there is a good possibility that they will be running around. 25 kids is a lot...

• A&G
    Master August 2014
    A&G ·
    • Flag

It's up to the parents to control their kids. If you don't like the idea of kids running around your wedding then you and your FH need to have a serious talk about who is going to be invited.

• Nonna T
    Master April 2014
    Nonna T ·
    • Flag

Benadryl?

KIDDING

It's what kids do. Embrace it.

• Jacqui76
    Master May 2016
    Jacqui76 ·
    • Flag

Kids run. You can't get mad at them for acting like kids. You have to either have them in an alternate location or accept that they might run around.

• A&W
    Master May 2017
    A&W ·
    • Flag

You can't. It's just what kids do. If you're really concerned about it, hire a few babysitters to entertain them in a different room.

• Mrs. CK
    VIP November 2015
    Mrs. CK ·
    • Flag

My 13 year old cousin kept trying to tickle my BIL during their first dance. Either parents stop their kids, or they don't. You can choose to invite them, or not.

• Sam
    Super October 2016
    Sam ·
    • Flag

Like everyone says, kids will be kids. You could try to have a little area of activities and stuff for the kids, but i can guarantee you they won't stay there all night.

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

It's kinda like why do wild animals try to eat kids who fall into their cages.

Because they're being who they are......fortunately, so far, we don't euthanize kids who make too much noise at adult parties, but it's the same premise; it's not an event designed for their attention span, so of course they are going to do what kids do. You either deal with it or remove them from the equation.

• Dana993
    Super November 2016
    Dana993 ·
    • Flag

I have a question off of this one. How do you word an RSVP or Invitation to let them know no kids are allowed? I'm addressing them only to the parents but I already know a few parents will assume that will mean kids too. Do I just simply put "Adults only event"?

• C
    Beginner September 2019
    Cam. ·
    • Flag

@Mrs.CK oh gosh tickle!?

• Mrs. Sasswood
    Master October 2016
    Mrs. Sasswood ·
    • Flag

Travelers, you don't word it. You just address it to the spouses. "Mr and Mrs Travelers" instead of "The Travelers Family"

Although, you could fill in the # of guests of the RSVP card like "___ of 2 guests will be attending" that gives more of a hint.

ETA suggestion

• mimitrue
    Master January 2016
    mimitrue ·
    • Flag

We had 25 kids at our wedding and none of them ran around during our 1st dance. Trust their parents to handle them during this time. But kids run. You invite them, you run that risk. We wanted kids and all the stuff that came with them at ours so you just accept what might happen and be ok with it.

• Dana993
    Super November 2016
    Dana993 ·
    • Flag

Thanks Mrs.Atwood. I was just scared they would still bring them, but I'm stating on the RSVP 2 seats have been reserved. So I guess that should be clear enough.

• Sylvia751
    VIP November 2016
    Sylvia751 ·
    • Flag

@MrsAtwood has the right idea, although I'd also suggest tasers or tranquilizer guns.

• LadyPearl
    VIP November 2016
    LadyPearl ·
    • Flag

If you want kids there, be prepared for the potential crazy and embrace it. We are.

• C
    Beginner September 2019
    Cam. ·
    • Flag

Thank you ladies! & no lol tranquilizer guns ,nyquil and spikes? Yikes you all must want me divorced the next day lol

• N
    Master October 2016
    no1 ·
    • Flag

Embrace it or have adult only. Games and activities can help, but you there is nothing you can do about distracted parents and cranky kids.

I can not imagine not having kids at our wedding. We choose a kid friendly venue and are offering babysitting recommendations to out of town guest. We are leaving it up to parents, but I know some of them would love a night out without them.

Comment on this discussion