Rebecca
Master October 2025

How did you choose your wedding date?

Rebecca, on February 3, 2019 at 5:05 PM Posted in Planning 0 85
Saved Save

What factors went into your wedding date decision? Did you want a certain length engagement, or to get married in a particular season? Did you pick a date with special significance to you or your fiancé(e)? Was your choice based off your venues availability? How did you choose your wedding date?

How did you choose  your wedding date? 1

Photo by Rachel Havel Photography in Denver, CO

Why stop here? Keep on going in these community discussions: Does your wedding date have a special meaning?, Which came first: your wedding date or your venue?, & How did you decide who gets a plus one?

85 Comments

• Abby
    VIP March 2019
    Abby ·
    The date itself doesn't have any significance to us. We wanted to get married in the spring and there is a lot going on in April with a lot of our guests so we went with March and just picked the Saturday that worked best with our church!
  • Victoria
    Super May 2019
    Victoria ·
    We wanted to keep the same anniversary, but ours was on a Wednesday this year, so we did the Saturday before it’s still pretty cool though because our dating anniversary is 5/29/15 & we’re getting married on 5/25/19
  • E
    Expert April 2019
    Elizabeth ·
    Well my birthday ended up falling on a Saturday this year so what's better than a double celebration??
  • Laura
    Dedicated October 2019
    Laura ·
    We definitely picked a date with special significance! The number 19 is important to us. My birthday is July 19; his is November 19. We first talked on 12/19/17. He proposed on 12/19/18. And, he was my 19th first date of 2017. (Yes, I kept track, lol, because dating was so hard for me!) So, we wanted to get married on the 19th, and how perfect that we’re in 2019! 10/19/19 was the only Saturday in 2019 except for January, so that’s what we picked!
  • Tynesha
    Dedicated May 2019
    Tynesha ·
    View Quoted Comment

That’s my wedding date!!!!

• W
    Dedicated October 2019
    WeddingBliss ·
    We wanted a date in the fall. The Saturday evening minimum was more than I wanted to spend, but my FH didn’t want a Friday evening wedding bc OOT & work guests so we went w/ the only open Saturday lunch available.
  • Katie
    VIP November 2019
    Katie ·
    We wanted a fall wedding and November is a cheaper month for our venue
  • Amber
    Devoted July 2019
    Amber ·
    Future FIL lives in Italy, were in MD, USA... sooo kinda decided on when he needed to come back and apply for some things for retirement 🤷🏻‍♀️😂
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    Originally, I Did our wedding to be in April, because his parents got married in March and my parents got married in May. So I wanted our wedding date to be in between there.
  • Dee
    Dedicated June 2019
    Dee ·
    We secretly got married by justice of the peace on June 2nd 2018, and decided to plan the actual wedding for June 1st 2019.

The first time we got married, we really didn’t have a date preference... after we applied for our marriage license we decided to just do it that following Saturday . We chose June 1st because it was on a Saturday in 2019, we didn’t want to wait like 5-7 years for June 2 to fall back in a Saturday ... and so that we wouldn’t get confused as to when we got married.

also our reception is a night reception, so when the clock strikes 12 we will actually be celebrating our anniversary the day of our “wedding”
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    Originally, I wanted our wedding to be in April, because his parents got married in March and my parents got married in May. So I wanted our wedding date to be in between theirs. Later, I decided to push the wedding back to October due to me getting a new job and taking grad school classes. In addition, the weather will be lovely during that month. I was never concerned with picking a date that correlated with a venue I wanted, because I knew I wanted to get married on a weekday, which typically has more availability.
  • Kat
    Devoted June 2019
    Kat ·
    I really wanted a day that was special for us, but couldn’t think of anything that would work with my busy season at work. I also wanted a summer wedding so, we picked June because it won’t be cold out (we live in nyc) and picked 15 which is in the middle of his and my birthday.
  • Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·

Our wedding date was on a list of available dates provided by on of the venues we visited. We started talking about it as a potential "no-go" date but the more we talked the more we liked the idea of a wedding near July 4th - and so did our VIPs! We joke that we'll get fireworks every year for our anniversary weekend

• Lex
    VIP September 2019
    Lex ·
    We wanted a date far enough away from our birthdays and anniversaries, and we needed a day that my mom would be able to come (she’s a teacher)
    So, Labor Day weekend it is!
  • Sarah
    Expert September 2019
    Sarah ·
    At first we wanted the date 9/28/19. 19 is important to us because it's his birthdate and the date that we started dating (2/19/13). 28 is my birthdate and the day he proposed. We wanted a fall wedding and September is when those dates lined up perfectly. And then we fell in love with our venue. We had to make a choice change our date that had so much meaning to us or find another venue that we loved as much as this one. After long, serious decisions and looking at availability we came to the conclusion that we'd keep the venue and create a date that had new special meaning to us. September 20, 2019.
  • Lizzy
    Super October 2019
    Lizzy ·
    We are getting married a year to the day after getting engaged. The fall works best with our jobs and birthdays. I love the fall and a year engagement seemed like the right amount of time to get everything done without needing to stress too much.
  • Tamara
    VIP August 2019
    Tamara ·

To eliminate stress, we picked the month and let the venue determine the actual date. We thought it would be too stressful to have a date in mind and then have to back into that, especially if we found a venue that we loved but wasn't available.

• T
    Super June 2019
    Tiffany ·
    We chose our date based on my younger brother’s availability. He’s between deployments overseas at that time and was when he could make it. Thankfully June is a gorgeous time of year in the PNW. Just praying it doesn’t rain lol
  • Kayla ·
    To start 27 is our lucky number. My birthday is Feb 27th we had our first date June 27th made our relationship official Sep 27th and those were coincidental! Then we got engaged 12-10-17 because 10+17= 27 lol so we got married 10-27-18 because of the tenth being our engagement day and 27th well you get it lolol we put lots of thought into it 😂😂
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    We didn't want longer than a year long engagement.
    We got engaged memorial day weekend last year and I thought it would be cute to do May 18th as it's the 6month mark of our dating anniversary. But that date got snagged from us as we were comparing the top two venues so we ended up bumping it up a week to May 11th. The date wasnt crazy important to us.

Comment on this discussion