Neffe
Master July 2020

Hometown Hanging or Not?

Neffe, on June 15, 2018 at 11:05 AM Posted in Planning 0 100
Saved Save

Recently, I've seen more and more couples choosing to get married in cities other than their hometowns, so I’m curious to know what you’re doing! Will be you getting married in your hometown, where you currently live, or somewhere totally different?

Hometown Hanging or Not? 1

Photo from: The Woodlands

100 Comments

• FutureMrsHarris18
    Expert July 2018
    FutureMrsHarris18 ·
    • Flag

I'm getting married where I currently live. FH husband wanted to go to my hometown (Miami) but logistically it was just too much traveling back and forth.

• Yahaira
    Devoted November 2018
    Yahaira ·
    • Flag
    Where I currently live. A destination wedding sounds very stressful to me.
  • Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

We are getting married approx 40 minutes from our home across the border in PA.

• C
    Dedicated March 2019
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag

I'm getting married an hour away from where I live. It's more convenient for certain family members.

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

We are getting married in FH hometown, an hour from where we live. I grew up in PA but we live in FL so we are having a Florida wedding! FH hometown is a small southern town with not a lot to do, so thankfully, we got great deals on local things!

Our venue was a steal for the space, and we could pick our own vendors. We are getting married in the same church FH grew up going to and all of his family members have been married here (his aunt even sings in the choir) so its special for them (and free for us!)

Luckily, our awesome DJ and caterer is traveling from a bigger town to be at our wedding for no extra cost which is amazing! And because its a smaller town (and a January wedding) we didn't feel the need to do room blocks because all of the local hotels told us they never fill up.

All in all I'm happy with our choice, its special to FH and all of my PA family and friends will get a real taste of the south (literally, we are having southern BBQ at the reception complete with a pit master!)

The nearest large town is only 40 minutes (St. Augustine, the nations oldest city!) so OOT guests can still make a trip out of their stay with us, or head an hour west to the beach for a vaca!

• Neffe
    Master July 2020
    Neffe ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I certainly understand! It would be less hassle to just remain where you are!

• T
    Super December 2018
    T P ·
    • Flag
    We are still determining where we will host. We live in a major city, so it wouldn't be difficult to entice our guests. My concern is that my family lives all across the country, so they would have to travel extensively regardless of where we host the wedding. His family all lives relatively close to where we would host a wedding in our city. I believe it would be more equitable and exciting to host a destination wedding. He believes it would be more convenient and cost effective to have the wedding at home. I guess wherever we decide, we will be with each other. That's all that really matters anyway.
  • Neffe
    Master July 2020
    Neffe ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hi Yahaira! A destination wedding can definitely involve extra tasks! You'll have an awesome time planning something where you currently live!

• Neffe
    Master July 2020
    Neffe ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Awesome! So you'll be traveling elsewhere but still remain local!

• Neffe
    Master July 2020
    Neffe ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

So mindful of you! An hour drive isn't too far, so you'll still be close to home!

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    We are doing ours in Vegas. We live in one state with my parents and FH family live our old home state. So instead of trying to pick which state and hurt feelings everyone has to travel to Vegas!
  • Kristy
    Devoted December 2018
    Kristy ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married in an old gold rush town in the mountains. About 20 mins from his home town and where we live now and about an hour from my hometown where I was raised.
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

Somewhere completely different! If we chose my hometown or current town the wedding would have ended up huge and I didn't want a huge wedding. We are having the wedding in Vegas. It's an hour from his mom's home and she doesn't fly so it worked out perfect

• Tammy
    Super October 2018
    Tammy ·
    • Flag

Vegas!!! We love it there and a (surprising) number of people want to come so pretty easy decision for us and with all their packages it makes things so easy!!!

• Mrs. H
    Master September 2019
    Mrs. H ·
    • Flag

Nope! I'm from a small suburb outside of Pittsburgh, PA. FH is from a tiny town in WV. We are getting married in Deep Creek, MD.

• Mrs. Rose To Be
    Expert June 2019
    Mrs. Rose To Be ·
    • Flag
    Where we currently live! It’s only twenty minutes away and since we’ll probably have to set up and clean up we wanted it to be as easy as possible!
  • futurmrslowe
    Super December 2018
    futurmrslowe ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married in my hometown. Suburb over from where we live ! And still in the metro area where FH grew up.

It it really was the most practical thing for people to travel to. Having family able to be there there was really Importabt to me !
  • WED18
    July 1993
    WED18 ·
    • Flag

My youngest was living north of Milwaukee when she got engaged but decided to have the wedding in our hometown in the church where she grew up. It was easier on her guests for them two to travel instead of everyone else. She has since moved to Chicago and the wedding/reception is in the burbs, so it worked out best for everyone.

• FutureMrsDeVito
    Dedicated November 2018
    FutureMrsDeVito ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married about a half hour from home. Most of our guests will be OOT but we preferred to get married close to home.
  • J'Neil
    Devoted September 2018
    J'Neil ·
    • Flag
    We live in Arizona but are getting married in Portland Oregon, relatively close to my FH’s hometown, as most of his family is in the area and my family is all over the place, so they would have to travel wherever we had it.

There’s certainly been a lot of travel! But we’re thankful for vendors that are easy to work with via phone and email. The hardest thing to plan has been getting us both up there to pick up our marriage license!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics