Sinéad
WeddingWire Administrator January 2025

Have you talked about starting a family?

Sinéad, on December 10, 2019 at 11:05 AM Posted in Family and Relationships 1 64
Saved Save

In starting your new family together, it’s obviously important that you are on the same page! Have you started talking about what you want your family will look like? Whether or not you want to have kids, pets, or parenting styles?

Have you talked about starting a family?

Have you talked about starting a family? 1

Photo from Coles Garden in Oklahoma City, OK

Next Question: Have you decided how to divide household expenses?

Back to the Beginning: Are you ready to say 'I do'?

64 Comments

• Amber
    Rockstar February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

We both can't wait to be parents, but we also want to enjoy our marriage with just the two of us first. We're shooting for about 5 years until we start a family Smiley smile

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

We plan to start trying right away. We both want kids and want them soon.

• Kristal
    Expert February 2020
    Kristal ·
    • Flag

Yes! we both want kids and plan to start asap, especially as we are a bit older than I would have originally liked to be starting a family.

• Fenja
    Rockstar June 2020
    Fenja ·
    • Flag

Yes! We both want kids! We are not sure yet about the timing though. I still want to do graduate school so we might wait until after that!

• Blair
    Expert October 2020
    Blair ·
    • Flag

We talked about at least being married a solid year before starting our family. He already has twin girls. We hope to have two more together.

• A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea ·
    • Flag
    We are going to try having kids after we marry. We’ve been together for over 6 years, going on 7, and I’m already in my 30
  • Alyssa
    Dedicated January 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    Sure have! So excited! Talked about it about a month after engagement, and made our choices on when we'd start trying!
  • Jill
    Expert May 2020
    Jill ·
    • Flag

Yes! We each want two kids but want to wait at least 2-3 years before having them

• Melle
    Champion June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    We have. We both don't want children at the moment or pets. But we know that can change later so we said let's revisit this convo later
  • Gabrielle
    Savvy July 2020
    Gabrielle ·
    • Flag

Having kids is not in our immediate plans. We talked about it and agreed that though we are not planning to have any, we'll be happy if they come along.

• Taylor
    Rockstar October 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

In 5 years or so. We're still in our early 20's and getting our careers started. We're thinking 28 is the magic number for us.

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan Online ·
    • Flag

Yes! We have 2 dogs together now. But, we can't wait to add human children to the mix in a year or so.

• Jasmine
    Rockstar February 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag

We definitely had that talk a few times. We just want to wait until after the wedding. Weddings are expensive enough so wedding and kids at the same time, no thanks.

• Katherine
    Dedicated July 2020
    Katherine ·
    • Flag

We're planning to have one kid and to do so in our late 30s, so another 6-8 years.

• Brianna N
    Super October 2019
    Brianna N ·
    • Flag

We already have 4 dogs and 3 cats (yes we are a bit crazy, lol!), as well as multiple fish tanks. My husband has two 14 year old daughters, they are twins. We got married in October and weren't sure when we would start trying but we just decided over the weekend to start trying in January! So exciting Smiley smile We will probably just have one, he already has two kids, and I plan on going to medical school once our baby is old enough.

• Megan
    Rockstar November 2020
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    Yes! We already rescued a puppy together, pre-engagement. We’ll wait some time but can’t wait to have children! ☺️
  • Emily
    Super April 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Yes we have. We're both in our mid-thirties, a little older than I thought I would be starting a family but he can't wait to be a father.

• Jennifer
    Super April 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

We are both 27 now, and we won't even begin discussing "trying" until we are 30! We want time to enjoy being married before having kids!

• Lauren
    Rockstar February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Yes! We both love kids and can't wait to have some of our own. We want to be married about 2 years before having kids, though. We're both 26 (and will be that age at the time of the wedding). I want 4 kids, but FH wants 3 max.... we'll see what happens!

• Jaimie
    Expert May 2020
    Jaimie ·
    • Flag
    Within 5 years we will revisit that convo! We go back and forth agreeing that we want kids (2 max) or not at all. Haven't made up our minds.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics