Melody
Devoted June 2010

Had my dress fitting...disaster

Melody, on April 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM Posted in Planning 0 57
Saved

To make a very long story short, I went to my dress fitting yesterday. First, the woman told me I was way too early. My appointment was for 12:30. I arrived at 12:28. Then she changed her mind and told me I was late perhaps. I said no, I’m right on time. Then she told me my appointment wasn’t in the book. I said I took a ½ day off of work to be here. I’m not leaving. 15 minutes later she asked if I was there to try on prom dresses. 10 minutes later she asked if I was there to see wedding gowns. 15 minutes later she found my appt in the book so finally got my dress. I put it on. I came out and she asked if I would like to try on more dresses. I said no this is my dress, I need it fitted. ½ hour later she finally got to me while I had to hear the other girls that were there complain that their appt was at 11 and the dress owner didn’t show up till noon (that’s why I had to wait). She does my trimming and pinning which took 2 ½ hours (my feet were killing me) then the seamstress sees and

57 Comments

Latest activity by Susan E. Lanzara, on April 18, 2010 at 1:36 PM
  • Melody
    Devoted June 2010
    Melody ·
    • Flag

Sees and claims that these alterations would be impossible. This dress has to be ordered to size. I said funny that your boss told me when she sold me the dress that it was possible because that was one of my concerns. They said take the dress off. We will do the bustle on a mannequin and the seamstress said she will come up with something and make the alterations work. I am so scared what I am going to find when I have to pick my dress up on June 4th. I’m totally freaking out and it was a terrible experience!

• Cabell
    Master May 2010
    Cabell ·
    • Flag

Who is this person?! And is there somewhere else around you where you could take it instead? I would be freaked out by this, too.

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

Oh my goodness. that sucks. Is there any way they can have it done before June 4? That is a long ways from now and awfully close to your wedding if any adjustments need to be made.

• J.S.
    Master June 2010
    J.S. ·
    • Flag

Holy cow, Melody! You handled that a lot better than I would have. I would have demanded a refund and gone elsewhere. LOL. Only because they seem clueless about what they're doing. Is there anyone there who actually knows what's going on and what can be done?

• Analy aka T-waffle
    Master October 2009
    Analy aka T-waffle ·
    • Flag

Uhm, take your dress and run away! Find a qualified seamstress that can do the alterations! OMG creating a bustle on a mannequin!?! Is she on glue? Girl, go get your dress!

• Bride2B
    VIP August 2010
    Bride2B ·
    • Flag

This has red flags all over the place...is this a chain store or little boutique? i would defintely take my dress somewhere else for alterations.

• Melody
    Devoted June 2010
    Melody ·
    • Flag

It's a little boutique. The woman is very old and losing her mind. I was very tempted to take the dress. I am still considering it. One of my bridesmaids was concerned I would have problems finding someone else to do being it's "wedding season" and "prom season". Not to mention this is why i had to take time off of work, they wouldn't see me any other time cause it's prom season. I want to cry! I should call them and request it be ready by the begining of may. If it's a disaster, they owe me money back or a new dress! I don't know what else to do

• FMS, the barefoot wife!
    Master August 2010
    FMS, the barefoot wife! ·
    • Flag

Yup, I would go get the dress and tell themthat you will be finding a qualified seamstress on your own and they'd be LUCKY if you didn't forward the bill to them..

• Analy aka T-waffle
    Master October 2009
    Analy aka T-waffle ·
    • Flag

Honey, once they start the alterations, there is no turning back. They will be changing seams and cutting fabric, and if they mess up? Nothing can be done. Go get your dress, right now, today. There are so many places that do alterations! I am sure we can even suggest some. This is your wedding dress!!! No money back or new dress is going to make it better, especially THAT close to your wedding. Seriously. Go there now.

• Cabell
    Master May 2010
    Cabell ·
    • Flag

Yeah, I would go take that dress away from them. Not worth the risk. I'm sure you can find someone actually qualified who WILL be able to do it--unfortunately, that may raise the cost, but it's better than them screwing up your dress. :-(

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

Melody, call around and see if you can find another seamstress before you take your dress back. Ask friends and coworkers for referrals. If you know someone who's gotten married recently, ask them. Check craigslist. Check any local places that sell sewing machines or offers sewing classes. Very often those classes are taught by phenomenal seamstresses. They may be able to help you.

• Shaunie
    VIP October 2011
    Shaunie ·
    • Flag

RUN RUN RUN like the wind please go and get your dress Im scared and this isnt even my wedding, Call and check around I know there is a qualified semstress somewhere that can do it

• Melody
    Devoted June 2010
    Melody ·
    • Flag

Ok! I will. I think I will go get it. FH and I got in a argument about it last night cause I kept bringing up my fears and he was getting sick of hearing it. They already did cut the lining while it was on me yesterday. I hope this gets figured out.

• The O-fficial MrsJoseph!
    Master September 2010
    The O-fficial MrsJoseph! ·
    • Flag

Go get your dress! I would check every board ever created for a top notch seamstress before letting that woman destroy your dress...

• Analy aka T-waffle
    Master October 2009
    Analy aka T-waffle ·
    • Flag

@ Melody- www.yelp.com

• M
    Master March 2011
    Mrs. Boat ·
    • Flag

GO.GET.YO.DRESS.GUUUUURL!

I'd go ghetto on them. "I run LA" and stuff. As Analy said, look for another seamstress and go get your dress!!!!!

• Mrs. O'Neal
    Expert May 2010
    Mrs. O'Neal ·
    • Flag

I agree with Analy. I would get my dress today and call around like LL said. I wouldn't trust my dress in someone's hands that asked like that. TAKE THE DRESS AND RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!

• Mrs. Carmack
    VIP June 2010
    Mrs. Carmack ·
    • Flag

I agree with the other ladies you might wany to find someone else to alter your desss! if things are going wrong now cut your loses you dont want to take any chances!

• J&Z
    Expert March 2011
    J&Z ·
    • Flag

I'm about to call other places for you. Go get your dress!! Don't wait to see what may happen next.

• Susan E. Lanzara
    Susan E. Lanzara ·
    • Flag

Get your dress!!! I know a few people in NH (southern near Portsmouth)- I don't know if they would have time but I can check for you if you don't mind the trip.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics